Creeper World 3 Suggestions Initiative

Started by Mr.H, May 04, 2012, 12:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkily

Quote from: Grauniad on September 04, 2012, 05:36:47 PM
Quote from: lurkily on September 04, 2012, 05:33:08 PM
I think it would be far ...

Not every problem needs a solution...
For a coder, having code organized and as simple as possible streamlines future work by orders of magnitude.  That, and V has stated that if more creeper types are needed, that he'd have to follow the process I repeated here earlier.

thepenguin

Quote from: lurkily on September 04, 2012, 05:59:24 PM
For a coder, having code organized and as simple as possible streamlines future work by orders of magnitude.  That, and V has stated that if more creeper types are needed, that he'd have to follow the process I repeated here earlier.
and seeing how you are completely determined to drive the code into a tangled mess, I'm not sure what to think.
We have become the creeper...

Grauniad

Quote from: thepenguin on September 05, 2012, 08:47:42 AM
and seeing how you are completely determined to drive the code into a tangled mess, I'm not sure what to think.
Since nobody posting in this thread actually knows much about the code, I suggest this sub-thread endeth here. This is at least one post more than what was needed. and it is becoming personal.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

tornado

actually a take numbers not for face value but for what they are.

frankly there is 3 values + - 0.
the 0 value concept is almost frightening.
im not a very good programmer but i can theorize incomprehensible ideas,and hope that they work.

so i came her hoping to help as a tester or at least giving good ideas.
but when i met with bad revues i gave up.

i came back because i had nothing left.
it seamed like mu only choice,but it met with good fortune and i found myself here posting once more.
and so here i am.
the end.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

bla3

Quote from: Grauniad on September 05, 2012, 10:53:05 AM
Since nobody posting in this thread actually knows much about the code, I suggest this sub-thread endeth here. This is at least one post more than what was needed. and it is becoming personal.

We may not know the actual source intricately, but any decent programmer can look at a concept and think "here is how I would do it."

Changing creeper from a "this integer holds creeper (if positive) and anticreeper (if negative)" to "this map cell now holds several instantiations or one instantiation or none of class "CreeperType" which was extended from class "Creeper" wouldn't be difficult, just time-consuming.

I.E., totally possible. And a pain in the butt! =P

Grauniad

Quote from: bla3 on September 09, 2012, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: Grauniad on September 05, 2012, 10:53:05 AM

We may not know the actual source intricately, but any decent programmer can look at a concept and think "here is how I would do it."

Changing creeper from a "this integer holds creeper (if positive) and anticreeper (if negative)" to "this map cell now holds several instantiations or one instantiation or none of class "CreeperType" which was extended from class "Creeper" wouldn't be difficult, just time-consuming.

I.E., totally possible. And a pain in the butt! =P

Yes, of course, it is all just a Small Matter of Programming.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

4xC

I already made this suggestion in a blog comment, but I was thinking that to expand the deaprtment of special weapons and units, something could be added to the particle beams and spore towers and aet's.

My idea is for the creeper to have an enemy that can travel underground and rise up at a certain location on the map. Either it would contain creeper and detonate like spores do, or it would take out a unit and itself like the CW2 drones. I think it would be called the "Worm".
C,C,C,C

4xC

As a counter measure to the worms, either you could build units that could see them so you know where they will erupt, or destroy them while they are underground. Perhaps the ground could be made so that worms could be unable to rise through that ground at the cost of some energy.

In fact, in "Starcraft Brood War", there was a new unit called the Lurker which HAD to be underground in order to attack enemies.
C,C,C,C

4xC

By the way, the only real reason I came up with the subterranean units for those who don't know is because the first 2 games had only one special defense units (SAM, Phantom Coil), and currently there is only the particle beam. I was thinking that there ought to be an expansion of at least 1 unit each in that department.
C,C,C,C

Nemoricus

Your enthusiasm for the game is appreciated, 4xC, but please try not to post more than once in a row in a given thread. There's a perfectly fine edit button that you can use.

As for underground enemies, they just seem like a variation on spores, where the threat requires special hardware to defend against and is a binary 'either you're fully protected against this threat, or it will wreak havoc' enemy.....

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on September 12, 2012, 06:39:01 PMMy idea is for the creeper to have an enemy that can travel underground and rise up at a certain location on the map. Either it would contain creeper and detonate like spores do, or it would take out a unit and itself like the CW2 drones. I think it would be called the "Worm".
I don't like  underground units, because it implies being hidden from the player, and CW has always provided the player with near-omniscience in terms of information.

I don't think we need more weapons, really, just more roles and uses for the weapons we already have.  For instance, when we get to new enemies, the beam is going to have to take on a role as countermeasure to some of those, I think.
Quote from: 4xC on September 12, 2012, 10:44:34 PM
By the way, the only real reason I came up with the subterranean units for those who don't know is because the first 2 games had only one special defense units (SAM, Phantom Coil), and currently there is only the particle beam. I was thinking that there ought to be an expansion of at least 1 unit each in that department.
1 unit for each what?
Quote from: Nemoricus on September 13, 2012, 12:17:59 AMThere's a perfectly fine edit button that you can use.
This.

4xC

Quote from: Nemoricus on September 13, 2012, 12:17:59 AM
Your enthusiasm for the game is appreciated, 4xC, but please try not to post more than once in a row in a given thread. There's a perfectly fine edit button that you can use.

As for underground enemies, they just seem like a variation on spores, where the threat requires special hardware to defend against and is a binary 'either you're fully protected against this threat, or it will wreak havoc' enemy.....

Yeah, I guess they were a variation of spores when they first popped into my head. I just thought the "special weapons and enemies" department could have used an expansion. As stated in other posts, I note that CW1 had only SAM's and Spores, CW2 had only phantoms and phantom coils, and so far CW3 has only spores and particle beams. By the way, Lurkily, I meant 1 unit for each side. (humans v. Creeper)

If the role of the beams and/or spores could be expanded upon as I do believe Lurkily suggests, perhaps there could be some good equillibrium with rising quality later games like CW3 are supposed to have. Also, may I ask what problem there is with multiple posts in a row? If they are on the same subject but different subtopics for each post, (ex: something weapons related, next something structure related) is that acceptable? ???

Besides, Most of the posts on the whole forum collection seem so short and concise that I feel like I would be disrespectful if I merged my blog-commenting style with my forum-replying-and-message-sending style. Kind of like now I wonder?  :-[

One more thing, if a post is edited, does that count towards rising through the ranks? (newbie, Jr. member, etc.) If not, I presume that a riser ABSOLUTELY DEPENDS on at least one other person to post new replies poste haste? No complaints though. Just trying to get used to this posting thing. I am relatively new to forum posting in general, but I got tired of waving at everyone from the sidelines and decided to do something about my situation.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

QuoteAlso, may I ask what problem there is with multiple posts in a row? If they are on the same subject but different subtopics for each post, (ex: something weapons related, next something structure related) is that acceptable? ???
Different subtopics are what paragraphs are for.

Multiple posts in a row aren't problematic, but they're bothersome to reply to, having to collect quotes from different posts, and they're unecessary.  It's like putting each paragraph of a book on a separate page - it's just easier to read when a single post flows.

Blogs and forums are different venues - blogs are typically a 'quickie' thing which most people visit once, maybe comment on, and return  to a single post rather infrequently.  (With exceptions, like you and me.)  Forums are a better venue for people who prefer to focus on what people have to say, and people who more often follow developments in a conversation - you may have noticed that locating all new posts on the blog is problematic, but on the forum all unread topics are accessible in a single place.

I don't believe edits count towards rank.  I don't think the forum cares if anybody replied to you, either.  But I also don't think anybody genuinely judges people by their forum ranks.

Wheatmidge

Does anyone here read Penny arcade, because his suggestion of worms reminded me of their comic a week or two ago.
http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/08/29 {NSFW/NSFM}

I haven't played guild wars 2 yet, but if the worms are anything like the rock worms from guild wars they are evil. So in general I think I have to vote against worms.

Added content warning - G.

4xC

I am reconsidering the idea of worms myself. They doesn't have to be someting that travels underground, but it would be nice if there was something a little more unique to the spores and beams. So far, there doesn't seem to be anything too unusual about spores except that they come from structures on the map and all the beams do is shoot down spores when they get closer.

If there is anyway to expand on them so that there is more they can or would do, I would LOVE to know what. I just hope the spores and beams aren't as narrow and short-defined as the SAM's and spores and the phantoms and coils. And again, it does not HAVE to be in the form of subterranean enemies and weapons.
C,C,C,C