CW3 Suggestions Redux

Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronini

Quote from: lurkily on November 12, 2012, 09:04:45 AM
Hasn't V mentioned artifacts found on maps on the blog?  And the gems have been demoed in their own video.
Have they? I could use a pointer to where I can find this particular video, please.

lurkily

Nothing was in a video, unless you count the crystals, which were in "Roma Victor".  Because of the presence of crystals, that could easily be the blog post with comments on other possible map objects of benefit.

I only have a sense of what I understand from the posts that have been put up, really.  It's easy for me to assemble information that's been posted in my head, but difficult for me to identify the source.  Welcome to the organized disorder that is Lurkily.

4xC

So far, I have not sensed anything in the way of major artifacts that distinguish themselves from the other 2 games that help players in any way. And the crystals don't seem close enough to being originated by alien influence.

They just seem to be an outer space version of historical jewels being conformed to shiny, colorful batteries providing energy to bases. There are no mystical effects for one thing.

And it would be much easier to see alien influence if, by chance, maps had weapons built into them. (they would be totally different from everything players can build)
C,C,C,C

cooltv27

I think artifacts were implied by virgil in the video "the march" at 0:50 "..cleansed of the creeper or met other objectives.." possibly collect artifacts
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on November 12, 2012, 06:20:36 PMThey just seem to be an outer space version of historical jewels being conformed to shiny, colorful batteries providing energy to bases. There are no mystical effects for one thing.
Who said such artifacts had to be alien?  They could be from other factions of human, or even your own technologies that you haven't been able to sccess due to strife, or broken supply lines.

4xC

They do not have to be alien, but I think it would look better if they were. I would like to see more of the infinite mystery of the plot lore.
C,C,C,C

Chawe800

What I'd really like to see (this is fairly off-topic) is Virgil making some Tactical error maps where you have control of a situational collapse and you must act quick to save yourself akin to Fisherck's 2 Tactical error maps. That would really help people practice thier CW skills while trying out a unique and challenging mission.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

lurkily

Quote from: Chawe800 on November 14, 2012, 03:01:51 PM
What I'd really like to see (this is fairly off-topic) is Virgil making some Tactical error maps where you have control of a situational collapse and you must act quick to save yourself akin to Fisherck's 2 Tactical error maps. That would really help people practice thier CW skills while trying out a unique and challenging mission.
So basically, maps that start out with an already-controlled situation, but with one flaw that leads to a rapid and deteriorating collapse for you to try and control?

4xC

Depending on how frequently that happens and how troublesome each climax of that theme is, CW3 with this could be a hard row to hoe so to speak. It could be worth it though. I would like to see something dramatic and unexpected happen partway through a few levels, especially the campaign.

What I don't get is how this could be off the topic as this is where suggestions for CW3 go and this seems like a CW3 suggestion.
C,C,C,C

Mr.H

:D My sniper suggestion was sort of added.

Anyway another suggestion:

Follicor Charger

Long Version:
Spoiler
I've always wondered why units are completly oblivious to any sort of damage when moving. I bring you the mini-spore launcher , unlike spores it does not hit player structures on the ground and has a poor range; however it can target any units in the air which come in range and damage them with varied spore charges. If it's a single unit it will often be able to destroy it in one hit, however in multiple units it shoots more( smaller) spores which do less damage but hit all of them. Thus a bulk force could sustain crossing it without serious damage. The mini-spore launcher is named Follicor, after the ( http://www.thefreedictionary.com/follicle ), which is a small cavity near the hair; and a synoynm of 'spore'. The 'Charger' comes from it's feature of slowly building up energy, influenced by nearby digitalis/creeper levels(without creeper/digitalis it is stagnant in production- but can still fire reserves), and takes approximatley one minute to charge to full capacity when surrounded by creeper of highest level(capable of destroying airborne unit in one hit). One does not have to worry about moving units aroudn your base and the danger it brings, this unit makes guppy usage particularily more difficult and disallows any unit movement within it's range but makes tactical movement or overwhelming a viable tactic to counter it.
[close]

Short: A spore launching creeper structure which can hit airborne units(ships, guppies, moving blasters, etc.) with spores. It charges up creeper levels to create these spores, using up negligible creeper around it, and at full capacity can destroy a unit in one hit. When faced with multiple units the spores split into smaller pieces and do less damage to one unit but the same net damage.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

Lord_Farin

Good suggestion. If this is not implemented, I strongly vote for other adversaries making the strafers and bombers (in general, air units) less OP.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Ronini

Sounds like a good upgrade for the AETs. The details would be subject to balancing, though. Also, I haven't quite made up my mind, wether this should be an additional enemy structure, an additional feature of AETs, or a replacement.

lurkily

There are other things to consider.  For instance, players have almost no control over aircraft.  It's straight-out, and straight-back.  This might not be sufficient for many players' needs, if regions of airspace suddenly posed a threat.

Ronini

True. Adding a waypoint system could be a neat addition. It would be literally working around the whole idea of making aircraft less OP.
On the other hand, the limitations of controlling units' flightpaths would make the proposed AA cannon a very effective way to limit access to quite big parts of a map without having AETs all over the place. Mind, I see nothing wrong with having AETs all over the place. Then again, AETs would exclude all air attacks, whereas an AA gun would just make them harder (i.e. more costly) rather than impossible.
As a consequence, players would need to up their base-planning skills. It would also enable such tactical musings as "I need to secure this peninsula, so I can build an airbase there, so I can strike the pool of creeper beyond that ridge...".

lurkily

I think AEZ's are actually more restrictive to aircraft than flak would be.  Flak or AA guns/missiles/spores/whatever would damage, or even destroy your aircraft, but leave you the opportunity to try and cross their range, or dart in and out.  The range at which your aircraft are ineffective is much smaller than the range of the guns themselves.

The AEZ's as they exist right now seem to be a total ban on aircraft effectiveness in a region.  No fuzzy borders, no darting in or out or slipping a few shots through.