CW3 Suggestions Redux

Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on November 04, 2012, 03:57:34 PM
The Leech does not stop weapon packets. It just stops construction packets. And M/G's would emit the vaporization field. (M/G's being either Moles or Gophers)

I figured it would help buy time to have an effective economy. And if it did stop weapons (which I do not think it would), there should be only 1 front line.
So in other words, in order to buy time to build up your economy, you have to steal energy directed to construction of your economy, and in order to use it as a weapon, you have to start a construction project for it to work?

Regardless of how effective it might be, it sounds frustrating to use.

4xC

I think I mis-worded it. I must have been thinking it would but time to stock up on energy or something. While I said maybe it could steal storage enrgy before while weapons get their requirement, the point that I am trying to make is based on buying time to get a stronger assault force, store more energy, or have a better economy while keeping the creeper at bay simultaneously. It would not doo all of that. I got the idea confused in my head as I got it out, but I envisioned some kind of stalemate weapon/titan that holds the creeper back so you can improve your forces or economy in some way.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Quote from: Ronini on November 05, 2012, 07:08:41 AMIf there was any discussion regarding the following in one of the other suggestion-threads I sincerely apologise.
I've actually seen most all of these in one place or another.  But it's impressive to see a new poster bringing all of these together right off the bat.

Mr.H

1)

Long version:
Spoiler
Personally I would love to see some improvements made in asthetics and atmosphere via the addition of 'Nature'. Planets could vary, (perhaps some gas planets) and some could be in the 'goldilocks' zone. Thus a larger array of default terrain types and maybe some intresting new features. Nature would be mostly asthetical, but if that doesn't go down your alley then perhaps using it as a temporal barrier against creeper, or something to protect(like a capsule in CW2). I just feel the maps look a tad bit empty in their current state and terrain manipulation has it's limitations ;) . Examples of Nature are trees or alien plant-life, perhaps certain simple creatures without AI.

[close]
Short Version:
Asthetics & Atmosphere via introduction of planet types(terrestial, gaseous, etc) and Nature;which can be protected or used as a strategic shield against the creeper.

2)

Long Version
Spoiler
As a titan class weapon I believe that a weapon which sends some form of disruptive pulse which temporarily distorts the default movement of the creeper in a certain radius would be quite intresting. It would not harm the creeper or destroy any of it but throw it around(configurable via it's unit control panel) to various ends(close packing for mortars, seperate creeper masses, etc. This would certainly not be random ofcourse an a overlay UI would show the effect of the weapon. Particularily good at cutting off digitalis lines.
[close]

Short Version: Disruptor Pulser that configurably manipulates creeper movement for a short time, to cut off parts, or concentrate at one point. Particularily effective against fighting Digitalis.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

Lord_Farin

Idea 1 is nice. When I say nice, I mean that I'd like to see it implemented. Good aesthetics are quite important; I'd rather not have them so confusing that it negatively influences tactical gameplay (compare e.g. UT3 to UT2k4).

Idea 2 concerns a titan class weapon (whether that's good or bad I leave to the reader).
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

lurkily

#2 is somthing like a 'suck field' or an attractor?

4xC

The first one I like because the map design, while already looking good, really does need some more beef. I appreciate that the custom maps of the other 2 games take care of this for them, but asthetic background additions isolated to just the future CW3 custom maps like they were for the past 2 does not seem to be enough.

I know that those maps on those clips we saw were test maps, but I would really like to see campaign levels with open space in it to show the lasting effects of the creeper's destructive potential. There was for the CW2 training academy and bonus levels, but if CW3's campaign levels have this, I will be really interested.

The second one sounds like a unit mostly copied off of the Styglek's manipulation, but I like the idea of manipulating creeper actions with a new unit nonetheless. How exactly would it help against digitalis if it manipulates creeper?
C,C,C,C

Mr.H

#2 is a manipulation field yes, it can attract, disipate, and converge the creeper mass for a short burst of time(good to move your units in, or for mor effective mortar use). I tend to enjoy support units. Also remember styglek manipulation doesn't exist in CW3, or at least yet.

3) Snippey
Long Version:
Spoiler
As the name implies this is a sniper unit. Their range depends on the terrain height they are placed and are great backline units to backup your main force. At maximum terrain height they can shoot anywhere on a super large map. They can not fire over terrain levels higher then the one they are standing on. Sniper turrets can fire small Anti-Creeper Packets, and are adapt at countering enemy units and serving as a depositor of anti-creep wherever it may be necessary. Susceptible to spores, long reload time, can be countered by having a large array of them. If you have multiple ones selected you can initiate salvo fire, or constant barrage(continuity depends on amount of Snippeys)
[close]

Short Version:
Sniper unit whoms range/effectiveness depends on terrain height it is based on. Cannot fire over higher terrain. Can shoot small Anti-Creeper packets, adapted at taking out units or irritating creeper. Long reload time, spore susceptible, configurable barrage, behind-the-lines unit.
Stop reading IT!

lurkily

Quote from: Mr.H on November 10, 2012, 08:40:03 AM
#2 is a manipulation field yes, it can attract, disipate, and converge the creeper mass for a short burst of time(good to move your units in, or for mor effective mortar use). I tend to enjoy support units. Also remember styglek manipulation doesn't exist in CW3, or at least yet.
Dissipate - repel, like a shield?  What's the difference between attract and converge?

Quote3) SnippeyLong Version:
As the name implies this is a sniper unit.
Not sure what the snipey adds . . . bombers provide long-range AC delivery, strafers more typical long-range munitions, and discrete units so far (runners) rebuild too fast for a typical sniper unit (long-ranged, slow-firing) to suppress them well.  Strafers also appear to be highly effective against them already.

Honestly, I'd really rather see terrain-based range mods on all units.

Mr.H

Perhaps the snippey could terraform at long distances?
Stop reading IT!

lurkily

Quote from: Mr.H on November 11, 2012, 07:00:22 AM
Perhaps the snippey could terraform at long distances?
Is it really supposed to be snippey?  A pronunciation of 'snippy' sounds like a nagging girlfriend.

Not sure Terraforming is something easy to balance at long ranges . . . a flight of strafers can expose land for bare moments easily, which is all you need to eke land up bit by bit until they break creeper cover.

Ronini

I agree. While raising terrain from far away large enough for a mortar + guppy sounds like an efficient strategy, I don't think I'd use nor like it very much. Seems too easy, somehow. But then I don't like the general idea of terraforming very much, either.
Depending on probable range upgrades, I also don't think another mid/long-ranged unit is really required, as strafers, bombers and Berthas should be more than you'll ever really need, as it is.
I do welcome the range ~ terrain height proposal, though.

BTW: Do bombers only drop anti-creeper or will there be an option for them deploying explosive payloads (similar to CW1 drones)?

TrickyDragon

from previous pictures and videos, it seems like creeper only at this moment (anticreeper that is)
This is Life,  Life happens.

4xC

You know, if there is something I am considering wanting to see in CW3, it is stuff left behind by ancient space-faring aliens that have an effewct on the CW3 battlefield. Whatevere they would leave behind would be found only on that specific map and stay there so it would be either a major ecomony booster, a weapon more powerful than the titans or orbitals, something to boost the weapons and othe offensive units, or something else that does something I cannot name right now.

Maybe even make it possible for the stuff left behind to enable warping to other maps that are too far to reach otherwise without clearing out other worlds first. I just think there should be more of an influence from ancients of some sort that have a really big, noticable helping hand for the player.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Hasn't V mentioned artifacts found on maps on the blog?  And the gems have been demoed in their own video.