CW3 animation suggestion

Started by cooltv27, September 14, 2012, 09:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooltv27

CW3 needs some kind of animation, I was thinking some thing like this:
at first it goes between worlds each having a command node, some building collectors some with small net works but no creeper any where
then it gets faster and the music gets more dramatic, then it goes to a world where creeper emitters suddenly fall out of the sky and destroy every thing, then a few more world where things are getting destroyed, some showing spore towers
finally 1 world fights back, it builds a small network and some pulse cannons
then it goes between new worlds fighting the creeper, some loosing some winning
and finally the last emitter gets destroyed and the galaxy is safe

after I finished typing this I tried to picture it in my head, it looked amazing to several levels above
I. Want. This. Now.
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

4xC

Great ideas, but know that the humans are taking the fight to the creeper. The emitters and other enemy units would not probably come to the worlds and newly settle in on them, I expect. Your ideas are interesting, though.
C,C,C,C

Kinam

I have to say though 4xC, the creeper got there HOW in the first place? somewhere along the lines, the creeper spread from an originating point (the nexus on CW1, the corrupt Stygan on CW2 if I remember right were trying to control it and revive the nexus). Along the way they did destroy civilizations (story-line from both previous games). And, now if I'm gathering in my head properly the idea the OP has, is that he's talking an animation video to promote the game, and/or, give a pre-game movie explaining the story (set the tone for the game). In the end of all these worlds that were populated and not ready for the creeper invasion, thus fell.

The premise that the humans are "fighting back", means that the creeper in fact threw the first blows.

These things could actually be used to "lengthen" the game some.

Spoiler
How I see it happening:
Opening cut-scene showing a nice planet. dotted landscape with houses strewn about, maybe little cities here and there (sure new gfx will need to be made for this effect). Suddenly some strange thing lands on the landscape somewhere (spore tower?). People go to investigate, when it bursts and places a thin blanket of creeper across the map. Buildings aren't built to withstand creeper (haven't seen it before after all), and thus get destroyed (not necessarily the big explosions, but something else perhaps that'd just wash the buildings away with the creeper seeping down to the lowest valleys).

Cuts happen to see other places having the same thing happen. At some point, a planet is able to send a warning out to a central planet, which then is able to create the ship (that we eventually fly around), and thus launch it, just before the same thing happens to this world. Game starts, and the first task is to re-take the planet that was just wiped of buildings.

How this can lengthen the game? have some object that needs to be found somewhere on a distant planet, that is able to suppress the spore / whatever that comes to invade a landscape. One must place this object on a planet that was cleared to prevent it from getting invaded again. Sort of like a beam weapon used on missions to stop the local spores, but bigger (titan sized and needs sufficient power present to keep it operational). Have each planet within range of a cleared planet (that isn't cleared) start a timer (depending on how heavily occupied the planet is with creeper generators and everything) until that planet sends an attack spore to re-take an already cleared planet. Basically have a second level of the game where you have to decide to clear out a nearby planet that's heavy with creeper so that it doesn't spread to your already cleared area, or go take an easy place, and try to find new tech elsewhere. Perhaps have each "hop" through the galaxy map decrease the timers to sending an invasion force. You would cause the humans to spread out, much like the creeper, instead of perhaps like the one video that was shown where there was a trail of single occupied places, but surrounded by many planets, causing a "snake" across the galaxy.

Granted, of course, once this tech is discovered, you could trigger an event that increases the creeper's attack rate, so by the time you get the tech, and each hop going back to build this tech on previous planets to secure them permanently,  you'd be loosing previous worlds you'd cleared, and when you have to go re-clear it, it would be a higher difficulty (more spore towers / generators).

This also brings up another issue that has come to mind... these maps are pre-generated and pre-populated with the generators / spores...you would have to create multiple instances of the same map, just with different spore/generator spawn locations, which could cause some major increase in production time for the game. Perhaps implement variables? Have a map created, and designate X number of power zones available for each map. depending on difficulty setting (if we get one), and on re-occupied settings (how big of a force was sent to re-take the planet), allow Y number of generators to be randomly placed within those power zones, and Z number of spore towers, and maybe W number of anti-flight zone things. All other non-occupied power nodes are not generated. This would cause the game to be unique each time the game is played, thus creating a crazy re-play ability to it. Wherein not every game would be the same... sure the maps would be the same, but the locations of the generators and spore towers being pseudo-randomized, would cause one to go at their building order quite differently.
[close]

4xC

One thing I have in mind is this: a planet forcefield of some sort slow creeper counterinvasions down to a point where you can take more planets back as you go than you can if a pre-taken planet is without the forcefield. One tech on a battlefield wouldpossibly have this ability and a new tech would have to be found as each planet is taken by (humanity?).

You could have it so multiple techs can be on 1 world and you eventually have to choose which planets to use the forcefields on assuming you run out and don't get any new techs until later like when you beat the game or something. And what if you had this so that in a CW3 version of evermore, you take all planets on a screen and then either:

a. new planets come by as the screen could scroll to a side to allow room for new planets all the time

b. You take all planets, but the creeper take 1 or more back as you stop playing and get as many planets for itself as there is time between when you stop and play again later.

c. all of the above in which all old worlds are COMPLETELY immune to creeper counterinvasions.
C,C,C,C

Wheatmidge

Quote from: 4xC on September 28, 2012, 12:40:49 PM
b. You take all planets, but the creeper take 1 or more back as you stop playing and get as many planets for itself as there is time between when you stop and play again later.

This seems really odd to add in. Since it would punish casual players.

lurkily

As cool as the idea of fighting against losses is to design, I've played games like that before, and the gameplay never seems to be as much fun as the design.  I'm reminded of SPAZ as one game which I feel could have done without that mechanic.

EDIT: Not to say it can't work . . . but I'm not quite convinced it'd be good for gameplay.

Nemoricus

It would have to be coupled to other mechanics to make it interesting. Otherwise it's just fighting on worlds you've already beaten for the nth time.

4xC

I get the point. I meant to brainstorm from the beginning and to be frank, I don't see the point in creeper retaking worlds either. Let alone depending on how long it has been since the last timesoemone has played. I did not ever really feel up to the idea of creeper retaking worlds to begin with, but it seemed like a significant topic. Plus I don't really like fighting to re-retake anything in games myself. Just look at the online game "Zombies Inc." on Armorgames.com.
C,C,C,C

cooltv27

what do you guys think about my suggestion for the game, yes this would be to promote the game

I can see the creeper taking back the worlds, like the last level in 1 became the main home world for humanity in 2, but was retaken by the creeper

but this happening often would just be annoying, how about every 8-9 worlds you take the creeper takes 1
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

Grauniad

On a point of order. I perceive a little chafing around some of the discussions here. Perhaps there comes a point where a particular suggestion has been explored enough. Perhaps there comes a point we all should move on. Getting a touch personal should not be part of the discussion.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

4xC

Quote from: Grauniad on September 28, 2012, 09:07:35 PM
On a point of order. I perceive a little chafing around some of the discussions here. Perhaps there comes a point where a particular suggestion has been explored enough. Perhaps there comes a point we all should move on. Getting a touch personal should not be part of the discussion.

Agreed. Who's actually looking personal? All I try to do for one is speak my mind with fresh ideas I come up with myself, or ideas that somewhat derive from veteran games and sources.

Also, I meant that the creeper would only take back worlds on the screen and not the ones off of it in the CW3 evermore idea I had. But if it doesn't come to light, fine with me. Just brainstorming.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Whether or not it's directed at me, I'm pretty sure it would apply to me, in some threads.  I know that I have a tendency to be a bit irritating at times, so my apologies for those times that I have (Not may have, have) come across a bit abrasively.

4xC

As long as things are cleared out in the end, good communication is still possible.
C,C,C,C

Kinam

perhaps if someone were to take it upon themselves (that would be good at it), could make an opening teaser to the series to explain what's going on so as to draw new players in to the fold of the game series, but also give a great back-story for the coming game ... like: what happened to those worlds that were cleared and nullifiers used within CW2? granted those planets, we only played a small portion of the planet truthfully ... there could be umpteen hundred nodes all across the planet, we just warped in and cleared out a section .. who's to say just 2 blocks away from that view we were given, weren't a TON of creeper just itching to come through :)

4xC

Quote from: Kinam on September 30, 2012, 11:39:00 AM
perhaps if someone were to take it upon themselves (that would be good at it), could make an opening teaser to the series to explain what's going on so as to draw new players in to the fold of the game series, but also give a great back-story for the coming game ... like: what happened to those worlds that were cleared and nullifiers used within CW2? granted those planets, we only played a small portion of the planet truthfully ... there could be umpteen hundred nodes all across the planet, we just warped in and cleared out a section .. who's to say just 2 blocks away from that view we were given, weren't a TON of creeper just itching to come through :)

I can't argue with that logic.
C,C,C,C