Custom Map #10303: Just a casual trick map 6!. By: Martin Gronsdal

Started by AutoPost, October 03, 2022, 07:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #10303: Just a casual trick map 6!

Author: Martin Gronsdal
Size: 200x150

Desc:
some shields

Weasee

We should appreciate what others give us.

But in this case, Martin's gift should be thrown away!

Thank you my friend, for a wonderful misdirection.

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: Weasee on October 04, 2022, 07:31:37 PMWe should appreciate what others give us.

But in this case, Martin's gift should be thrown away!

Thank you my friend, for a wonderful misdirection.

Hehe, can you tell me what you did? Maybe in many spoilers or a DM 😉

Thanks for playing

Weasee

Dealing with the spores:
Spoiler
build shields on all the open spots. There isn't enough energy to supply them continuously, so set them to disarmed. Just before a spore lands, arm the shields to take the hit, and disarm again.
[close]
Flattening the landing spots:
Spoiler
Let the network build out to the mass driver artifacts. Launch them on the center of the landing pads. Use the forge to max out power and packet speed to do this faster.
[close]
Grabbing the tech:
Spoiler
Put relays on the open spots next to all the tech.
Build and use the guppy to keep the forge powered.
Start by moving the CN to the right pad, and pick up the bottom message. (Make sure your CN still has energy once it has left the network).
Then fly north to the top landing pad, directly over the power zones. As the CN passes these it can reach the relays west and east.
[close]
I can't reach the relays
Spoiler
You need to be exactly over the center of the power zones. As your CN flies east, select it and hover over the top landing pad. Advance frame by frame until the line from the CN to the pad is exactly vertical.
[close]
But it doesn't work!
Spoiler
Here is the major trick for this level: the forge is precharged with max fly speed. We want to go slowly over the powerzones, but also need the max packet speed to build things fast.
Right at the start of the level, we need to delete the forge, and rebuild it!
If you find your guppy runs out of juice while you are flying about, you can disable the totems and supply to the shields.
[close]

Martin Gronsdal

Also, there is a hitman on his way to your house as we speak  😉

Thanks for playing!

oldnewby

Quote from: Weasee on October 04, 2022, 10:16:06 PMDealing with the spores:
Spoiler
build shields on all the open spots. There isn't enough energy to supply them continuously, so set them to disarmed. Just before a spore lands, arm the shields to take the hit, and disarm again.
[close]
Flattening the landing spots:
Spoiler
Let the network build out to the mass driver artifacts. Launch them on the center of the landing pads. Use the forge to max out power and packet speed to do this faster.
[close]
Grabbing the tech:
Spoiler
Put relays on the open spots next to all the tech.
Build and use the guppy to keep the forge powered.
Start by moving the CN to the right pad, and pick up the bottom message. (Make sure your CN still has energy once it has left the network).
Then fly north to the top landing pad, directly over the power zones. As the CN passes these it can reach the relays west and east.
[close]
I can't reach the relays
Spoiler
You need to be exactly over the center of the power zones. As your CN flies east, select it and hover over the top landing pad. Advance frame by frame until the line from the CN to the pad is exactly vertical.
[close]
But it doesn't work!
Spoiler
Here is the major trick for this level: the forge is precharged with max fly speed. We want to go slowly over the powerzones, but also need the max packet speed to build things fast.
Right at the start of the level, we need to delete the forge, and rebuild it!
If you find your guppy runs out of juice while you are flying about, you can disable the totems and supply to the shields.
[close]
Was a remarkable sight to see a Command Ship spew those single E & W packets while over a vacuum PZ... Unfortunately... for me... yesterday was a total fail... Today tried an organized approach... by saving the map +20 times while advancing the Command Ship a single additional "N" key frame farther east... trying every vertical assent line that passed through the 4 vacuum PZs... The +20 frames added up to ~0.6 seconds of in game time... The best results had solid blue E & W beams... but all the beams collapsed shortly before the packet reached even the first relay... Even the rebuilt forge with the zero-unit speed increase... and using the maxed packet speed... the necessary 2nd packet never had time to appear... BUT... Somehow you were able to do it... so... Suspect my problem must be in my very old Win10 PC that is not even Win11 compliant...   A beautiful map... Just wish my PC was up to it...   https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2878575166

Weasee

@oldnewby - from your screenshot it looks like your forge has run out of juice - if the red bar on the forge goes to zero then the abilities are disabled. Did you stop resupply to the forge? The guppy looks to be in the right place to supply it...

oldnewby

Quote from: Weasee on October 22, 2022, 06:15:52 PM@oldnewby - from your screenshot it looks like your forge has run out of juice - if the red bar on the forge goes to zero then the abilities are disabled. Did you stop resupply to the forge? The guppy looks to be in the right place to supply it...
Woke up at 3am last night Weasee... Realizing that Martin NEVER places anything on a map that is not essential... And... of course the guppy that I saved could never finish the map...  Also remembered a self-imposed crisis on MG's map #10286... when I stopped the resupply to the Forge to save badly needed energy during the breakout by pressing the "B" Key.... Didn't realize I would lose all of the forge powers... So... my instant vanilla units were immediately at risk... So... yep... it was "my bad"... not my trusty old PC... Restarting this morning it all went per MG's plan... Beautiful to watch.... An Awesome map...   
Weasee - Thank you for the tip, "the red bar on the forge going to zero"... I have a bad habit of getting excited after using the forge & clicking the "C" Key... locking up my forge... Now I have another quick check to make when a map gets hot... Always new things to learn in CW3!!