General Questions

Started by D0m0nik, September 15, 2016, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chwooly

Quote from: Fireball14 on September 15, 2016, 09:03:51 PM
Quote from: chwooly on September 15, 2016, 08:46:57 PM
I just finished a map with a sandbox fleet, Great idea, It does help when the skills are not there, However 1 note, When you are placing ships if you have deleted ships in the middle of the stack those stay empty.even when picking up tech on the map.

Cheers and thanks for another great game.
There is small check box on top of your ship list, that allows you to drug your ship icons around.
Damn, I was wondering what that was for, I tried to use it to place ships and nothing happened.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

planetfall

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 16, 2016, 04:56:22 AM
A question for someone (likely planetfall):
Where can I find PRPL docs?
They are mostly undocumented at this point, unfortunately. You can use the alphabetic list page for some of them... for those implemented after a certain point Virgil put an explanation in the changelog for each build. So it could be a matter of making public the old changelogs, or adding the new testers to the beta group.

Wiki -> PRPL is incomplete, Wiki -> PRPL ->Alphabetic command list refuses access (citing permissions), Wiki -> PRPL -> prpldocs doesn't compile (but some information is extractable).
By wiki->prpl->prpldocs, do you mean prpldocsrc?
I'm not the person to ask for wiki permissions (pretty sure that's Karsten's department) but I'll bring this to his attention.

Unlike CW3, I can't find a way to import the campaign or Exchange for extraction (possibly NYI).
Exchange maps are stored in particlefleet/exchange/maps. Note the particlefleet directory is not in the same place as the old creeperworld3 directory. The default location is displayed in advanced settings.
Currently, story and inception maps are resources deep in the game somewhere. Load up the map and create a savegame, and it will show up in particlefleet/missionsaves/TheAreaSavedFrom/TheMapUID
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

GoodMorning

Thank you. I've been incidentally avoiding saves due to playing only when I have time to run through a mission from beginning to end.

I had dug around, in steamapps as well as My Games, but I haven't begun on the exchange either. I was hoping for the campaign of Inception, as those scripts were/are interesting to face.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

ShadeOfRed

Just an inquiry, who wrote the music for the game?  Was it you Virgil?  Because that song is stuck in my head, in a good way.

Dunna dunna dun dun dun.  Dunna dunna dun dun dun. Dunna dun dun dun dun duunnn.  Dunna dun dun dun dun Dunnnn. Dunna dunna dun dun dun.....

:)

knucracker

Quote from: ShadeOfRed on September 16, 2016, 08:07:51 AM
Just an inquiry, who wrote the music for the game?  Was it you Virgil?  Because that song is stuck in my head, in a good way.

Dunna dunna dun dun dun.  Dunna dunna dun dun dun. Dunna dun dun dun dun duunnn.  Dunna dun dun dun dun Dunnnn. Dunna dunna dun dun dun.....

:)

I wish :)
It was professionally composed and created by http://www.finnmk.com/
There's even live instrument recording at various spots.  I like it... worth every penny.  You can check out Finn M-K and everyone else over on the credits page. There's also a bunch of screenshots in the credits of the game over the last 2.5 years from beginning to end.

Sorrontis

Is there a plan to have a ship editor exchange? If I make an awesome ship and lets say GoodMorning wants to use it for his map, it'd be quicker to just grab it from the exchange than redrawing it by hand.... But then again, it might not be worth your time.

I'll also put it here. Do you plan on putting a grid for the ship editor? Would it be possible to have the modules in the ship editor to be rotated (there's three that would benefit - command module, engine, fighter bays.)?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Karsten75

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 16, 2016, 11:53:33 AM
Is there a plan to have a ship editor exchange? If I make an awesome ship and lets say GoodMorning wants to use it for his map, it'd be quicker to just grab it from the exchange than redrawing it by hand.... But then again, it might not be worth your time.

I'll also put it here. Do you plan on putting a grid for the ship editor? Would it be possible to have the modules in the ship editor to be rotated (there's three that would benefit - command module, engine, fighter bays.)?

Yes

knucracker

Yes, there's a plan to have an online share for the ships.  In the mean time, the files can be shared. 
There is a file per custom ship in this directory:
c:\Users\YOUR_USER\Documents\My Games\particlefleet\ships
NOTE:
In the current build all of the files end in a .spf1 extension.  That will be changed to .dat in the next build. (Steam cloud stuff is the reason).

Rotation wise, not the CM and not the engine.   The fighter base could be allowed to rotate... I might look at that when I'm working in this whole area post launch.  Same for a design grid.

Karsten75

I'd guess allowing engine rotation would make ship movement calculations orders of magnitude more complex...

Sorrontis

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 16, 2016, 12:31:10 PM
I'd guess allowing engine rotation would make ship movement calculations orders of magnitude more complex...

Good point. It was just a passing thought.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

GoodMorning

Bridge rotation can be done by drawing sideways, up to a point. In any case, the bridge is square... Why rotate?

Xalos

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 16, 2016, 08:04:22 PMIn any case, the bridge is square... Why rotate?

I suspect mostly people want to build very wide ships without the bridge and engines being sideways, which makes things look a bit silly:
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21289.msg147102#msg147102

GoodMorning

True. But there's a reason that the editor limits things in the way it does. (Although that might be ship tile shapes.)

Tjgalon

What parts on a ship are best for attacking the particles, or is it a combination of things.

GoodMorning

Do amp gems accelerate build rate when mounted into incomplete ships? If they can be used for a global upgrade, can we concentrate the effect into a single ship? Not necessarily for the "rebuild", but for the bridge (especially of a Titan) to build twice as fast, an amp gem might be a worthy cost.