Any plans for iOS version of CW3?

Started by mvp7, March 31, 2014, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvp7

I had never heard of Creeper World before I saw it on steam releases. I bought the game and I'm really enjoying it! Seems like it would be a perfect game for tablets also. Is there any plans for iOS  version (and/or maybe android?)

Asbestos

There are no plans for a mobile version right now because of some problems with the game. And also because the interface is just too complicated for a phone or tablet. Keyboard shortcuts, moving the camera, etc.

mvp7

It's true that would probably not fit a phone sized device properly but I believe it would fit tablets really nice.

I haven't really played this too much yet but so far it seems like mouse alone is enough for controlling the game for most of the time and good multi-touch UI eliminates much of the need for shortcuts.

For example:
-Building tabs and and building selection could work pretty much as it is now
-move pause and time acceleration buttons to either side of the screen (separate from build window)
-visibility tab could work pretty much as it is now
-Tap-and-drag for moving turrets
-Tap (with posibility to slide your finger around the map so you can find the best spot) for placing building and another tap on the building "ghost" to confirm (effectively a double tap for quick placement)
-Double-tap-and-drag to build a line of buildings (plus tap on one of the ghosts to start building)
-Two finger pinching to zoom in and out
-two finger swipe to move camera
-maybe two/three finger tap for pause and unpause?
-haven't really needed mass selection or group movement that much but it could be double-tap, hold and drag for example
-more possibilities for customization the better (ios san andreas is good example of this)

Quote from: Asbestos on March 31, 2014, 11:22:36 AM
There are no plans for a mobile version right now because of some problems with the game. And also...

What do you mean by problems?

Clean0nion

mvp7

Quote from: Clean0nion on March 31, 2014, 11:48:49 AM
Nobody seems to consider CPU usage.

I have been thinking about that. I played CW3 on my old computer that hardly runs anything anymore, I think it has 5-6 years old dual core processor or something, and I didn't have any slowdowns or lag even at 4x acceleration when fighting a sea of creeper.

From the steam page requirements of CW3:
Minimum: Single Core 2 GHz
Recommended: Dual Core 2Ghz

iPad 2 has 1 GHz dual-core and Air has 1.4 GHz dual-core processors so I'd imagine power wouldn't be problem at least in most scenarios.

thejoe66

When it comes to the CPU the minimum needed is for small maps try playing maps like metriod with minimum requirements.
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

mvp7

I made a little mockup picture of what CW3 could look like on ipad screen to see if it could fit (resolution 1024*768).

4xC

While iOS games seem to demonstrate superior graphics, CPU games seem to demonstrate superior mechanics. (The most frustrating thing for me in iOS games is using controls on, not with, a screen you are supposed to use to see all the action.)
C,C,C,C

tornado

Hey I suggested this a while back

Nice GUI
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

J

On an iPhone screen you can put up to ~20 medium sized buttons, so let's say we'll divide the screen in 20 squares. For each CN we need a square for energy/AC information. We need a big pause button and the build menu (which must be put in a seperate menu). Then 25% of the screen is occupied already and we still need to find a good place for the speed buttons. Probably just one button that switches between 1x and 4x speed. Only 70% of the screen is available to show what's happening on the map. Then you really need event tags, which will take up another 15-25% of the screen. Ever imagined playing games on a half iPhone screen? Not fun. On an iPad this isn't a problem, as long as you design the menu's correctly. And if maps are correctly designed (limit custom maps to 128x150), CPU wouldn't be much of a problem too.

tornado

The I pod problem is solvable
Simply mark the application as an iPad only
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one