Public Release ran for one day, now won't launch (Mac, crash reports attached)

Started by katanna, September 30, 2016, 11:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katanna

macOS Sierra 10.12
Public Release of Particle Fleet (don't know version because I can't launch it)

Yesterday I downloaded the demo and played a few missions. Then when it was officially launched I purchased it and installed the full version and played a few more missions.

Overnight I shut down my computer, and this morning the app will no longer open. It crashes on launch. I see a message saying "The last time PF opened it crashed, do you want to reopen it?" If I click on Reopen it will just crash again and again.

Attached the crash reports and some other info/screen shots.

Any suggestions on how to get this up and running again? Thanks all!

Sorrontis

Hi Katana

Did you change any settings (video resolution) the night before the crash? Have you tried an uninstall followed by a reset and reinstall. If that doesn't work, please follow this guide to better help the dev fix your issue:

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21384.0
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

katanna

Yes, I changed the resolution settings several times.

I have attached several files including the Player.log file and the entire Application Support folder.

katanna

Update:

If I have my laptop without any external monitor connected then it works perfectly. YAY!

If I have my laptop connected to my Thunderbolt Display then it crashes on launch. Boo!

To explain a bit better: Last night I was playing PF on my laptop (no external display) so I set it to Full Screen and chose the highest resolution. Everyone was happy. But now I have my laptop connected to an external display and it crashes on launch. (Note that I have the laptop open so the computer is seeing my Thunderbolt Display as the main screen and my laptop screen as an external monitor. See photo.)

The good news is that I only use this Thunderbolt Display while I am at work, so there shouldn't be any "play" happening here. I just wanted to pass along this information in case others needed it.

Xeneonic

This seems to be a problem related to "mac + Unity + more than 1 monitor". This is sadly a known issue that seems to be unresolvable from the dev, as it seems to be something related to Unity (So only the Unity devs can fix it). However, this issue has been known since, I believe, 2011, and nothing has been done to fix this.

BoxOfSnoo

I wonder if it's the fact that PF might use OpenGL2.  I have lots of other Unity games that work without disconnecting the monitor.

knucracker

Try running the game with this command line option:
-force-glcore

See if that fixes your multi monitor crash problem.  If so, be sure to write back and let me know.

katanna

Running the following command in Terminal did indeed launch PF with the external display connected:

/Applications/ParticleFleet.app/Contents/MacOS/ParticleFleet -force-glcore

Now if I go back to try to open via the main application in the Application folder it crashes again.

knucracker

So running with that command line option fixes the problem.  Running without it, recreates the problem.
Perfect.  Since the game seems to run fine on OSX using the new renderer, I'll just make that the default in the next build and this problem will go away.

BoxOfSnoo

Quote from: virgilw on September 30, 2016, 02:15:03 PM
Try running the game with this command line option:
-force-glcore

See if that fixes your multi monitor crash problem.  If so, be sure to write back and let me know.

Just to add, works for me too.  I just added that in the Steam launch options.  :D

katanna

Quote from: virgilw on September 30, 2016, 03:11:04 PM
So running with that command line option fixes the problem.  Running without it, recreates the problem.
Perfect.  Since the game seems to run fine on OSX using the new renderer, I'll just make that the default in the next build and this problem will go away.

Thank you so much! Love the game, can't wait to get off of work and get back to playing!