Weekly 5-map history theme tournament - overview, rules & rankings

Started by UpperKEES, September 06, 2010, 04:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

That's exactly why I explained how to check the time stamps by yourself. Next week daylight saving time will end and revert to normal time, while the US does this one week later (if I understood correctly), which could create even more confusion. It's every players own responsibility to make sure their scores get posted in time.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Additional rule: it is not allowed for the same player to submit scores with different names. If done so, both names will be disqualified.

SPIFFEN

Lol did someone do that =P
Oh thats right , i have been useing youre name here , so you havent played any of the maps =P
( Just kidding if someone did'nt get that )

I cant say that i have noticed that someone has done this ,
but it would be nice if everyone used my name for all maps , so i would be the only one with posted scores =S
( Just kidding again )
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

After winning the really tall buildings tournament (see here), I have picked the theme proposed by hi for next weeks tournament: Einstein's Miracle Year (1905).

Colin

I noticed in the first post. . . The person in "second" place overall has
only 1 gold medal where-as the "third place" person has 2 silver medals
and 1 bronze medal. Has there been a "point-based" system established
to calculate what medals are worth what?

Example:
              Gold medal       Silver medal         Bronze medal
Billy             1                      0                        0
Willy             0                      4                       8             
Philly            0                      3                       15

If you assign each medal a point say...

Gold = 3
  Silver = 2
Bronze = 1

Then what happens to my example?

Example2:
              Gold medal       Silver medal         Bronze medal      Total points in medals
Philly             0                     3                      15                            21
Willy             0                     4                       8                             16
Billy              1                     0                       0                             3

Now this is an extreme example but... Do you see my point in this?
The "winner" has won only 1 gold medal, but overall did he do better
than the 2nd place or 3rd place winners? This may prevent confusion
later, just a thought.  8)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

UpperKEES

Good point, I had been thinking about this myself as well. Until now I just used the Olympic ranking system, but I could indeed make it point based, which seems more fair for players that have earned quite a few silver and/or bronze medals.

I wouldn't assign 3 points to a gold medal however, but 4. That way 2 silver = 1 gold and 2 bronze = 1 silver (otherwise silver would relatively be worth more). This weighted ranking system is also described at the bottom of above mentioned article. I'll calculate the points tomorrow when there are no major objections.

UpperKEES

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 02, 2010, 02:24:39 AM
I'll calculate the points tomorrow when there are no major objections.

As there were no major objections I have adjusted the ranking system to be point based. See here for the medal table (scroll to bottom of post).

Colin

I think we should add the birthdays of people on the forums to the list of themes.  :P
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

UpperKEES

Nah. Some members like to keep this info to themselves and even more people will already have played that date.

UpperKEES

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 06, 2010, 04:58:19 PM
The winner (best total score) gets to pick a new theme from the list of proposed themes by the community in this topic and publish the dates to be played before Monday evening at midnight (forum time). Last weeks winner is also responsible for determining next weeks winner by calculating/checking the total scores. Each tournament will have its own topic where players can post scores and discuss their progress.

I'll post a few guidelines and tips for the winner of a tournament to ease the posting of the tournament results and next weeks tournament topic:

Regarding calculating and posting the results of the tournament you won:
1. Of course the final results haven't been posted yet, but I'm sure the winner will know he has won by adding and comparing his scores.
2. First check if all scores have been submitted in time. Hover your mouse pointer over the scores on the web page to view their timestamps.
3. To calculate all score totals by other players you can use a calculator, but you can also use Microsoft Excel (or any other spreadsheet program). Just select all rows & columns on the web page with scores and press Ctrl-C (copy). Select a cell in your spreadsheet and use 'paste special' (right mouse) which allows you to select the 'text' option so all data will be put into different cells. Repeat this for the 4 other maps. After that delete the columns you don't need and drag & drop the scores behind the name of the according person. Use the SUM function to calculate the totals. This way you'll have your results ready within 5 minutes.
4. To post the results you may want to use a table. You can set one up from scratch by using the table buttons (see the overview of BB-codes and buttons), but it's much easier to just copy a table of a previous tournament by quoting that post and copying it into your own post. Just replace the player names and scores after that. Click the winning scores in the tournament table for an example.
5. It's a tradition that the winner of a tournament posts screenshots of his solutions for others to learn from. Use the backspace key to create a screeny; it will automatically be saved in your 'documents\creeperworld_screens' folder. When posting click 'Additional Options' to be able to attach them. Use the 'Insert Image' button or IMG-tag when you also like to embed them into the post itself.

Regarding posting next weeks tournament theme & topic:
1. When you are not the one selecting the theme because you already won the week before as well, please PM the number 2 to provide you a theme + dates of maps to be played. You already may want to do this on Sunday, so you'll be able to post the new tournament data on Monday. Thinking of a theme in advance never hurts.
2. When selecting the theme yourself just pick one from the list (see first post of this thread) or think of one yourself. Please make sure it will appeal to a wide variety of players.
3. When selecting the dates of maps to be played make sure these maps haven't been played before. I would also check if you're not posting too many fools mates maps (maps that can be finished without engaging the creeper at all), but that's a personal preference.
4. Try to include some interesting data about the selected events/dates, see previous tournaments for an example.
5. When entering the name of the new tournament topic, please use this format: "Weekly history tournament - [theme title] - closing [date of next Sunday]".
6. When posting all tournament data you may want to use a table (the only way to align data in columns and keep it resizeable for every screen size/resolution). Again quoting a post of a previous tournament and copying its table is the easiest option here when you don't want to create it from scratch (see above).
7. Please provide a link to the first post of this thread, containing the overview of themes, previous tournaments, players rankings and most important: the rules!

Well, that's about it. Seems like a lot of work, but you'll get used to it after winning some tournaments.... ;) It's the price you pay for being good. :P

Don't hesitate to ask questions when you don't understand something or need some help. You can post here or send me a PM. :)

I will keep updating the overview, even when I don't participate (like this week), as it is unfortunately impossible to transfer ownership of a thread.

UpperKEES

Hi all,

I have decided to leave the forums, so I won't be able to update this overview topic any more. Sorry for that.

As it is not possible to transfer ownership I suggest someone starts a new topic (by quoting the first post) to be able to update it.

Grtz, Kees

Kamron3

Quote from: UpperKEES on January 11, 2011, 06:32:19 PM
Hi all,

I have decided to leave the forums, so I won't be able to update this overview topic any more. Sorry for that.

As it is not possible to transfer ownership I suggest someone starts a new topic (by quoting the first post) to be able to update it.

Grtz, Kees

???
What?!?

Why???

This makes me want to leave the forums now.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Ichigo on January 11, 2011, 08:19:26 PM
???
What?!?

Why???

See here.

Quote from: Ichigo on January 11, 2011, 08:19:26 PM
This makes me want to leave the forums now.

Don't. CW is a lot of fun when you have enough time to play it and it will be even more fun when CW2 comes out. I just don't have the time right now....