Custom Map #10067: The Platforms of Eridani. By: stdout

Started by AutoPost, May 25, 2022, 03:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: stdout on May 26, 2022, 08:39:43 AM
Yeah this map is actually very easy in my opinion but I think some players are missing key gameplay elements that make it harder for them.

Like, you can build a Thor, but only if you know that a collector on a PZ can reach the only legal space to build it.

Or, the concept that an energy gem is supposed to be a resource that lets you establish a foothold for free. By the time the gem is gone, you should already have reactors on PZs. If you just spent the energy to build dozens of beams, you're not going to win. Guppies can easily take out most of those spore towers on the left before they fire. Once you connect to it, you've got a crazy amount of PZs for seemingly unlimited power. There's more ore on this map than you can use but it's not appropriate to build ore mines until mid game.

I like maps that teach me things about CW3 and I hope this map achieves that for some players.

As to the numbers, 342 is my lucky number and I like to use it whenever a random number is needed. If I need 2 digits it's 42 and with 4 digits it 1342. The number is very pleasing and soothing to me for many reasons.

I built a Thor in a very different way :)

GoodMorning

Quote from: Weasee on May 27, 2022, 09:55:28 AM
fascinating that we have such a similar score with totally different methods!

I wonder how you'll each do, optimising the other's method?

For those who built the Thor differently, may I ask how you chose to keep it connected? I assume you didn't micro-float the middle CN after sending the top one back to orbit.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Martin Gronsdal

There are actually 3 ways to do it. Collector on PZ, micro float and use guppies... I chose the latter

D0m0nik

Martin Gronsdal

I actually tried the collector on PZ at the bottom, and as that didn't work, I switched to the other method. Then, I forgot to use the Thor....

GoodMorning

Where do you put the Guppies? I only remembered them having a Collector-worth of range.

Unless you're sacrificing the Forge for the duration, which seems highly unlikely.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Martin Gronsdal

I did it east, but you can build the forge in many places

Helper

stdout:
Super fun map.
Here's my contribution to getting a foothold.
Thanks,
H