Custom Map #10067: The Platforms of Eridani. By: stdout

Started by AutoPost, May 25, 2022, 03:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #10067: The Platforms of Eridani

Author: stdout
Size: 200x200

Desc:
And now for something a little different... You have only a very brief window of time before you are overwhelmed with a massive spore attack. If you survive that, you then have a few more minutes before you get completely flooded with creeper. Fast action is your only option here.

stdout

Rating of 3.67 and only 3 scores after 20 downloads. I think I achieved something here!  ;D

yum-forum

Quote from: stdout on May 25, 2022, 09:24:08 PM
Rating of 3.67 and only 3 scores after 20 downloads. I think I achieved something here!  ;D

In some my map it was: 15 times Rating of 1.00 and only 4 scores after 113 downloads!  :D

Good lu, Master Sensei stdout!
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

rennervate

-------------------------------------------------------
aka: AlexX

GoodMorning

Quote from: stdout on May 25, 2022, 09:24:08 PM

I'm afraid it doesn't quite live up to the hype. I was expecting Sorrontis-ragequit material, not something I could beat on the first attempt. So much advance warning, and so many free resources!

(Did the number on the Emitters and energy cache have a special meaning?)

Edit: Nice map to play again with, thanks for the inspiration to pick the game up again. I'd forgotten to include that, somehow.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

stdout

Yeah this map is actually very easy in my opinion but I think some players are missing key gameplay elements that make it harder for them.

Like, you can build a Thor, but only if you know that a collector on a PZ can reach the only legal space to build it.

Or, the concept that an energy gem is supposed to be a resource that lets you establish a foothold for free. By the time the gem is gone, you should already have reactors on PZs. If you just spent the energy to build dozens of beams, you're not going to win. Guppies can easily take out most of those spore towers on the left before they fire. Once you connect to it, you've got a crazy amount of PZs for seemingly unlimited power. There's more ore on this map than you can use but it's not appropriate to build ore mines until mid game.

I like maps that teach me things about CW3 and I hope this map achieves that for some players.

As to the numbers, 342 is my lucky number and I like to use it whenever a random number is needed. If I need 2 digits it's 42 and with 4 digits it 1342. The number is very pleasing and soothing to me for many reasons.

D0m0nik

Just finished it, great map. Just read the comments and had a face palm moment when reminded of the Thor, I didn't use it!

D0m0nik

Replayed with the thor, shaved a whopping 14 seconds and I am still 1 second behind Weasee!  ;D >:( :o

stdout

Awesome score, as always! I often wonder what you do that us mere mortals don't.

D0m0nik

On this one ever so slightly less than what W did  :P

The key on this one was destroying 5 sprayers at a time and having a couple in reserve in order to move onto the little islands.

I guess the main thing I am doing is pausing a lot and focusing on attacking in 4 directions at once. I guess with this one it would help to attack in 6 places at once!

stdout

Did you use guppies to get a quicker foothold on the left side?

GoodMorning

Quote from: stdout on May 26, 2022, 12:39:36 PM

By comparison, I was horribly slow (and built too many Beams too soon and not enough PZ reactors), but...

My order

Lay everything out, disabled.
Grab crystal, start Forge.
Once crystal is built, four Nullifiers, some Collectors.
Forgot to deactivate the Totems, lost some energy there. Fiddle about with them to get a bit more Aether.
Four PZ Nullifiers, four Guppies.
Waste time filling every PZ with a Beam.
Guppies going left, another four Nullifiers.
Juggle power and finally make a few PZ Reactors. Start charging the Totems again.
Another four Nullifiers, whole left side is a field of PZs now.
Fiddle about with PZ Guppies supporting the left, waste time with the wrong weapons and upgrades.
Eventually focus the attack better, one island falls, drop in the Relays and clear the rest. (Four Nullifiers again, same row as usual.)
Power troubles are over, PZ Berthas are up, Thor under construction.
Fiddle about with the next attack, taking far too long despite PZ Berthas. (Waste time syncing their firing cycles, just because it's fun.
March rightward with one PZ Nullifier after the next.
Still misuse Berthas, forget to focus attention, and accidentally delete all Beams one Nullifier-cycle too soon.
Remember to bring the Thor over just for that last Emitter in the lower-right. Laugh at how its request rate can't keep up with its upgraded power use.
[close]

I was too lazy to sync four sets of Sprayer-bombings, that would have saved considerable time. If I was doing it again, I don't know if I'd have built a single Collector, or let the left fire at all. 1600 energy in Nullifiers (1760 including filling Guppies) is a little too much for the starting crystal, but a short delay for some PZ reactors would probably do it.

Quote from: stdout on May 26, 2022, 12:39:36 PM

Did you?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

stdout

Awesome writeup! Thanks for sharing.

I tried it with guppies and without. My best time so far has been the run without guppies.

I don't see GoodMorning on the scoreboard. What name do you put in for your scores on CW3?

D0m0nik

Always interesting to see the different approaches. No guppies and no collectors for me.

Spoiler

Build single line of relays down left side of centre island, build forge, aether and energy syphons, 6 nullifiers.
Build Thor, 3 reactors on PZs and take out the rest of the central spores.
Build second line of realys, about 8 ore mines and use 3 PZs for beams with a spare next to each for juggling when the waves come. Juggling beams on PZs allows optimum use of the PZs.
Remaining PZs get mortors to aid spreading out, possibly another reactor if needed. All of these central PZs are used to maximise coverage of beams and mortos.
Concentrate on taking one island to the left and getting though with relays to the far left and maximise reactors on PZs, mortors on PZs can also spead up the taking of the middle left.
[close]

Weasee

Interesting approach D - I went for
Spoiler
getting PZs and beams up on the center island, then I built guppies, sprayers and cannons to establish the far left column, and attack column 2.
Once that was taken, put berthas on that whole column, and then blast my way to victory on the right  ;D
[close]
fascinating that we have such a similar score with totally different methods!