MacPro GPU having seizures with CW3? Tech support please.

Started by RaptorRed, November 25, 2013, 06:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptorRed

This is both a problem, and a request for advice.
I have an old Mac Pro running OSX 10.6.8 and have had no problem with CW 1+2, but CW3 is causing the screen to suddenly shut down after 5-10 minutes of play.
It just suddenly goes black and l need to do a hard shutdown to recover control.
Sound is not affected, just the screen.
With my awesomely non-existent tech mojo l have theorised that it is overheating the GPU, as the machine is starting to make Moses look like a sprightly youngster.
Here are (most of) the machine specs:
  Model Name:   Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacPro1,1
  Processor Name:   Dual-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:   2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   2
  Total Number Of Cores:   4
  L2 Cache (per processor):   4 MB
  Memory:   8 GB
  Bus Speed:   1.33 GHz

and the GPU:
Chipset Model:   ATY,RadeonX1900
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  Slot:   Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   512 MB

I would really appreciate developer opinion on this problem and anyones on which GPU to upgrade to.
I've done a lot of research and have come up with the ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB as the most promising. It's not officially supported, but will by all accounts work perfectly on my old clunker.
Is this the best option?, and what about flashed cards?

Finally, to Virgil, yes l realise l'm about to spend $200-$300 solely to play your $15 game, but that is how much l think IT ROCKS!!
Thank you very much. :)

Grauniad

In these two posts (Virgil and the OP's response),  we learn that the game works with 10.6.3, which is a little older than what you have.

In general, the game would either work or not work. The screen shutting down after a small amount of game play indicates a hardware problem.

CW3 uses the GPU, which the preceding versions did not, since this version is based on Unity3D and not on AIR/Flash as the previous versions.

My first suspicion on hearing reports of the system failing after a few minutes is usually that there is a heat build-up due to dust.  Before you spend money on a new graphics card that is potentially unsupported, try this.

Open up your computer, take it outside and try and blow dust out of it using canned air that you can buy at Walmart, Target or (heaven forbid, Best Buy, since BB will try and sell you a $25 support contract on the $4 canned air). Get at least two cans of air, they tend to freeze up when in use.

Pay particular attention to cleaning out the GPU airway and fan as well as case fans and general components. Also be careful to make sure the cards and connections remain firmly in place and you don't dislodge any.

The Radeon HD 5770 will definitely support the game. As for compatibility with your machine, I can't venture an opinion. The parameters I'd check most careful are the power requirement and whether your power supply has the necessary connections; whether the PCI slots are compatible; the length of the card and whether it will fit in the case; the heat it generates and whether your case has sufficient ventilation to maintain temperature.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

knucracker

I'd concur... sounds like a heat problem.  And most heat problems are caused by lack of airflow.  That can be caused by dust buildup, or faulty fans, or both.  I'd do what G recommends and inspect the system and clean it out.

Grauniad

Quote from: virgilw on November 25, 2013, 11:39:01 AM
I'd concur... sounds like a heat problem.  And most heat problems are caused by lack of airflow.  That can be caused by dust buildup, or faulty fans, or both.  I'd do what G recommends and inspect the system and clean it out.

This, I always forget that as a reason for heat build up.

Edit. Also, after consideration, I'd recommend you look for a cheaper, lower-power card. You really don't need that much muscle to power CW3 in a computer of that vintage. Placing less strain on the power supply and putting less heat into the case also will be beneficial.

RaptorRed

Thanks for the prompt response, l appreciate it.
I did what you suggested and gave it a thorough blow out, and indeed there was quite an amount of dust built up.
Unfortunately the problem persists, although l now get up to 20 mins play so the exercise was informative.
I never thought of the fans being faulty, although it's reasonably noisy machine. I will get that checked out.
On the chance that it's not that, does anyone have a nice robust, compatible, and (most of all) available GPU to recommend?
Preferably something that will handle CW4, lol ;)
I know this is supposed to be solely for game problems, but if my hardware knowledge was a car it would be a Model T. With the seats in backwards.

Grauniad

For Mac-specific problems, you are better off finding a source (forum or community) where Mac-knowledgeable people hang out in numbers. This is not that place. I doubt 4% of the membership here have Macs.

I will tell you that every time you play your machine until it shuts off due to heat issues, you damage it. Repeated damage like that may affect the thermal compound between the processor, the GPU and other components with heat sinks. That can be resolved by removing the heatsinks, cleaning with approved solvents and reapplying thermal compound. Not a simple job, especially not on the GPU.

Your best bet may be to take it in to a professional that can give it a once-over. It may well even be that fan on the graphics card itself need a bit more cleaning. I'd suggest you try and remove the graphics card and blow more air through it, but given your admitted level of tech expertise, I reiterate my recommendation of a qualified technician. Best Buy's Geek squad are NOT qualified technicians IMHO.

If you want to experiment, get an infra-red thermometer, remove the case doors and monitor the components while playing.

RaptorRed

Thanks guys. Upgraded GPU, problem is solved.
I'm off now to spend the next 4 days playing CW3, Yippee!! ;D