Particle Fleet Crash

Started by Gremash, September 29, 2016, 03:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gremash

I am trying to run Particle Fleet but the application fails instantly. I was able to run it once but it now crashes after subsequent relaunches. I did try to reboot my mac. I can send a copy of my system profile to you but prefer not to post it to the public forum.

knucracker

Do you by chance have a mult-monitor setup?  If so, are you running with an extended desktop?
That's one known problem (a Unity problem).
https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/osx-gllegacy-os-x-player-crashes-in-a-multi-display-environment

If this isn't the case, then take a look at gatekeeper and temporarily try changing your security permissions to allow running a non apple signed app.  Permissions problems often get in the way and cause crashes or message about corruption on the mac:
http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/27/allow-apps-from-anywhere-macos-gatekeeper/

Lastly, you said it ran once.  Did it run enough for you to play a mission or change any settings? (Like graphics settings ,etc)?  If so, something in those settings might be causing the crash.  Look at this post for the mission directory:
https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21330.0

Under it will be a "settings" directory.  Rename that and see if that makes a difference as well.

Gremash

I too have a problem with the game on MacOS Sierra with dual monitors. I initially posted the error in the Support channel before I read through this topic. I unplug my second monitor and it starts fine.

Gremash

I replied in the other thread too. I do have multiple monitors but it did run just fine the first time on multiple monitors. It was only after I closed it that I could not run again. I was able to play a couple of missions without issue the first time. There was no indication that there was a problem.

Karsten75

Support is the right place. I merged your other post in here for completeness.

Here is a message I posted on the Steam forums, for reference:

QuoteWe also know of an unresolved issue with Unity and dual monitors on Mac. The workaround for that is to run monitors with "mirroring" or to (temporarily) disconnect one monitor until you have launched the game.

Neither are palatable, I know, but the fix is not in our hands either.

BoxOfSnoo

This solved the issue I had as well.  Weird and unfortunate...

The linked article mentions the application is in full screen - not in my case.

Although I do have other Unity games that don't crash... Last Federation, Defend Your Life, CW3, Subnautica, etc.  Is it because this uses OpenGL2?

knucracker

It uses a more recent version of Unity 3.5 and later.  That's the main thing.  In the last 6 months they switched around their renderers, and their 'legacy' opengl renderer has this problem now.  I might be able to do a build with their new opengl engine and make it available as something you can try.  But last time I tried it, there were bugs with it.  They might have gotten ironed out in the last few months, though.

I'll need a week or two before I can give it the really close attention it needs, though.  Things are in a serious whirlwind right now, so thanks for your patience.

knucracker

Actually... try this:
Run the game with this command line option:
-force-glcore

If that works to solve the OSX multi monitor crash problem, definitely let me know.