Custom Map #216: [AE vs HCF] Crusade. By: Helios

Started by AutoPost, October 21, 2016, 09:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #216: [AE vs HCF] Crusade

Author: Helios
Size: 480x300

Desc:
Objective: * Breach the vault and recover the holy artifacts which rightfully belongs to Apostle Ecclesiarchy. * Librate the benign particles used for target practice by HCF. * Capture the industrial complex on the planet. * Wipe out all HCF stationed nearby. Hints: * Helios Corporation have constructed an experimental Particle Cannon using technology stolen from us, but apparently something went wrong before they could test fire it. Let's see if we can give them a hand there...

Helios

My second try at making maps. This time you play as the Apostle Ecclesiarchy and face Helios Corporation.

Enjoy! 8)

fumbuckle

Looks great. Can't wait to get some free time to play it and see your awesome ships in action!

fumbuckle

Well, the ships were beautiful, but there wasn't much challenge, and the map played really slow. I like the no energy mine start, but it's also really slow without the big reactor ship being prebuilt. I spent most of the game waiting. I really like the concepts, especially the ships taking shots at the benign emergent. The railgun was great too, making an opening to send omnis in.

Helios

You are right, there was an energy source on the cannon originally (on that block right behind the "shell"), but I found it would trigger the cannon too early so I removed it.

Probably should put a few energy cache around the cannon to compensate. Shame that submitted maps can't be edited.

Hints:
Spoiler
Actually, you don't have to build anything in the beginning. Cancel that battleship and send everything to capture the Particle Cannon, build omnis in empty space and send them in once the vault defenses are down. Then move through the moon, take the third mine and unleash the benign particles. Build advanced ships now if you want, the rest should be easy.
[close]

Difficulty is intentionally low, as the level is mostly a showcase for custom ships and concepts like sudden burst of particles overwhelming defenses, and breaking enemy chain of supplies.
I tried things like enemy ships actively attacking, but for a map without your own "base" any loss is hard to replace, so I decided to let the player take their own pace.

fumbuckle

It's definitely a great showcase. I love how cohesive the fleet is, and the names of the ships are really fantastic too. They show the hierarchy and give mystery and power to the ships. I also can't get over how great the design is. The floating pieces look so good.

Tigershawk

Great map, but a bug cropped up.  I'm going to assume its game related, rather than your map.  I lost all mine production, and anything I had an amp gem in reset to 0 efficiency.  I finished the map with only the energy from my ships, but that was a real challenge.  Especially when I didn't realize I'd lost Omni reactors for about 15 minutes.

GoodMorning

Your 'bug' can be reproduced by losing the HQ, or otherwise not having one on the map.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

TypoNinja

Great map, I liked the themed ships, disliked the mystery about em. Spend a good long while simply building my shit to find out what it was.

Wasted a bunch of time trying to go north first. That didn't work. Went back to the planet, but without the cannon backup it was slow going.

Once I got the particles free with the rockburner (let em out from the top instead of the bottom) they took care of everything else for me.

CyberDyneSystems

Just found this great map. Nice ships, great idea, and love the "triggers" to get the job done.