Code Maps + The English Dictionary

Started by Slooch, February 09, 2012, 09:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slooch

So I love code maps, and I find myself playing them all the time, even more so then custom maps...

I have come to realize that the same words stored or used as random appears too often.

So is there any way to find the text file and edit it? or replace it with a more complete list of words I.E. The English dictionary?

Is this just going overboard? or is the code generator not that complex to begin with??

Karsten75

The code generator is not that complex. :)

knucracker

Here's how the names are chosen:

private static const greekLetters:Array = ["Alpha","Beta","Gamma","Delta","Epsilon","Zeta",
"Eta","Theta","Iota","Kappa","Lambda","Mu",
"Nu", "Xi", "Omicron","Pi","Rho","Sigma",
"Tau","Upsilon","Phi","Chi","Psi","Omega"];
private static const words:Array = ["a", "and", "away", "big", "blue", "can", "come", "down", "find", "for",
"funny", "go", "help", "here", "in", "is", "it", "jump", "little", "look",
"make", "not", "one", "play", "red", "run", "said", "see", "the", "three",
"to", "two", "up", "we", "where", "yellow","after", "again", "as", "ask",
"by", "fly", "from", "how", "just", "know", "let",  "may", "of", "once",
"put", "round", "some", "then", "think", "walk", "were", "when", "apple", "bear",
"bell", "birthday", "boat", "box", "bread", "cake", "car", "chair", "coat", "day",
"door", "farm", "floor", "flower", "game", "garden", "grass", "ground",  "hill", "letter",
"morning", "nest", "night", "paper", "party", "rain", "ring", "shoe", "snow", "song",
"street", "sun", "table", "time", "top", "toy", "tree", "water", "way", "window"];

private function onRandom(event:MouseEvent):void {
var r:Number = Math.random();
if (r < 0.05) {
codeTextField.text = greekLetters[int(Math.random()*greekLetters.length)] + " " +
greekLetters[int(Math.random()*greekLetters.length)] + " " +
greekLetters[int(Math.random()*greekLetters.length)];
} else if (r < 0.1) {
codeTextField.text = String(int(Math.random()*10000));
} else {
codeTextField.text = words[int(Math.random()*words.length)] + " " +
words[int(Math.random()*words.length)] + " " +
words[int(Math.random()*words.length)];
}

generateMinimap();
}

Slooch

So, what about possibly editing the code generator to only make hard or the hardest code maps? is this possible?? or like more options other than large map and complexity

Karsten75

You're way off base.  After the code words are input into the map generator, there is an algorithm (I think it was mentioned somewhere else - MD5?)  that converts the string into a 8-byte number. That gives you the potential 4 billion code maps.  Many, many code strings overlap on each of the 4 billion maps.  There was a thread somewhere here that mentioned how many potential code strings could overlap on each of the maps. Some posters even posted maps they had found that were the same but generated with different code string.

But after that is said and done, there are fairly complex algorithms that regulate placement and strength of emitters, placement of resources and so forth.

And there is no chance that Virgil will give you those algorithms or the map generator, IMHO (but I've been wrong before).