Moving Odin City

Started by BigBird, December 18, 2010, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBird

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new here, after watching a buddy of mine play for a day or two, I decided to get the game. That was about a week ago. I've tried to read up on the forums and have found a lot of great info... i.e. running deficits. But anyways... I've noticed that on some maps that it seems advantageous to move Odin City closer to the rift points or upgrades at the start. does anyone have a good rule of thumb as to when its worth it to move and when to stick around?

EDIT:

I just found a youtube video that i thought pertained to this...

Colin

Well in some cases (like in Chronom maps) you can move the
city closer to upgrades and that helps a lot, and example
would be:

You need to build 4 collectors to get to the upgrade, but if you
move OC (Odin City) closer to where you only need to build 1
Collector, that helps a lot because then you can get the 10%
less building cost upgrade, which significantly speeds up the
beginning of a game.

There are other cases where you can actually land OC into
Creeper for an advantage!  :P

Oh, and welcome to the forums!  ;D
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

BigBird

yeah, that was my thought exactly. I also try to place collectors between the old and new locations so they will build partially while Odin is moving so i dont COMPLETELY waste the time it takes to move lol.

Fisherck

Moving Odin City can be very beneficial, especially on chronum maps. But for most custom maps, that is usually detrimental. Map makers will usually either lock OC down or just make any other possible place for OC not worth going there. And a lot of maps require quick action in the beginning too, which you will lose by moving the city.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

BigBird

Quote from: Fisherck on December 18, 2010, 06:58:12 PM
Map makers will usually either lock OC down or just make any other possible place for OC not worth going there.
true, yoursself included... just played the world at night. first time, i lost the pod in europe, oddly enough since im currently stationed in europe, but quality game play. do you have any thoughts on the youtube vid i added in my initial post?

Fisherck

That definitely works, and is a unique style of moving in that it always stays up. I do not care for it though, because you do not get the beneficial .8 energy that the city generates when it is on the ground. You can see in the video that once OC lifts off all production slows down dramatically because of the sharp decline in energy. As I recall, July 31, 2134 needs to have this method used to beat it (no double down required ;)).
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Karsten75

Quote from: BigBird on December 18, 2010, 05:28:16 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new here, after watching a buddy of mine play for a day or two, I decided to get the game. That was about a week ago. I've tried to read up on the forums and have found a lot of great info... i.e. running deficits. But anyways... I've noticed that on some maps that it seems advantageous to move Odin City closer to the rift points or upgrades at the start. does anyone have a good rule of thumb as to when its worth it to move and when to stick around?

It really is up to you as the player.

You could move Odin City:-
- if it is in a position that would get overrun by creeper;
- if you can find a better defensive position for Odin City;
- if you could move it closer to a key point on the map and thus save building/defending a line of  collectors or relays to that point;
- or you could fly din City to provide a mobile, in-air connection over difficult terrain or crazoniums walls (this is called "bridging);
- some custom maps are built so that you have o fly Odin City around collecting techs and other objects without building connecting lines;
- some custom maps can be easily defeated because they have a single totem and you can fly Odin City to directly over the totem and connecting to the totem while in-flight, thus powering up the totem and activating the rift without building a single unit - this is called "pwning" a map and there is a whole thread dedicated to this.

EDIT:

I just found a youtube video that i thought pertained to this...

This shows an extremely fast completion for a very difficult map if the map is played in the ordinary fashion. Alwego is one of the early masters of this game.

BigBird

@fisherck: yeah, i like the style, and it is quite unique from what ive seen in my week and a half of playing and watching on youtube. i would say that it would be a very time consuming task to keep it in the air like that...
@karsten: thank you for the list. most of them are common sense, and i feel kinda dumb for not thinking of it myself, especially the moving the city to activate a lone totem
@everyone: if you can think of any other reasons, please let us know!!

Karsten75

Quote from: BigBird on December 18, 2010, 06:05:27 PM
yeah, that was my thought exactly. I also try to place collectors between the old and new locations so they will build partially while Odin is moving so i dont COMPLETELY waste the time it takes to move lol.

IMHO this is a bad strategy. Not only will you exhaust OC's 20 packets without getting anything built, you will also not be able to use it on landing, since if the collectors are not connected, OC can't get energy back from them. You are better off building the final collector that will connect to OC when it lands.

BigBird

Quote from: Karsten75 on December 19, 2010, 04:18:49 PM
Quote from: BigBird on December 18, 2010, 06:05:27 PM

IMHO this is a bad strategy. Not only will you exhaust OC's 20 packets without getting anything built, you will also not be able to use it on landing, since if the collectors are not connected, OC can't get energy back from them. You are better off building the final collector that will connect to OC when it lands.

true, but i only place only 1 or 2 in the way, even though the 2nd isnt always connected immediately, it does help if something important is over there, like an upgrade or the closest totem. it does make sense not to use up ALL of OC's reserves though.