Great Chronom maps

Started by Karsten75, August 22, 2010, 10:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Quote from: IcEcAt on September 07, 2010, 07:25:51 AM
here is a simple (fast) map i came across

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewscores.php?missionGroup=chronom&month=0&day=12&year1=0&year2=0&year3=0&year4=0

Yep, nice map indeed.

and on a side note:
     Karsten75...
how do y'all get such fast times. i know i tend to not pay attention to time (4 month old in the house) but a little hint would be awesome... thnx

Well, I'm not the best person to ask, several here get better times than me. However for me the following things makes for a good time:-

- Careful consideration of placement of buildings.
- Careful management of energy and whether you go into a deficit. This includes using the new packet management mod to control what types of packets are dispatched from Odin City and whether you will allow a deficit to occur.
- Flying  Odin City and/or  a connecting unit into an advantageous position.

I'm in a rush now but if you ask in another thread, me and a few others might post a few YouTube walkthroughs  of us getting good times on particular maps. Some of the really top players (UpperK.. cough, coughl Fish... cough, cough...), OTOH, rather prefers to keep his magic sauce to himself.

UpperKEES

Yep, it's all about careful planning:

- Pause the game immediately after starting a map
- Look where to place Odin City, often this is a location at the center of the 3 totems, close to 1-2 upgrade (when available) and where it's safe from the creeper for a while.
- Plan how to build your collectors. First pick up the upgrades and select -10% building costs and +10 energy as your first 2 (when obtained during early game).
- Before you engage the creeper (if necessary at all) first generate all the energy you'll need. After that build your weapons and start fighting.
- Don't charge the totems until you've connected to all of them (so disable the green packets at the start).
- Don't lay out your network completely, but keep the lay out in your head. Only add collectors when your energy levels allow for it. This way you build without a deficit, so the collectors you do build will be finished as soon as possible, so they start generating more energy right away.
- You can connect to the hardest totem by flying Odin City there instead of building a collector into the creeper. For this you have to make sure your network is connected without Odin City on the ground. To reach even further you can use a SAM or blaster in between Odin City and a collector. This is an advanced technique and is called bridging. Search the forums to read more about this.

These tips go for every map (including the custom maps)! Please note that only after playing a map you'll know exactly what you need (in terms of energy & weapons), so a second run will always be faster (minutes faster!).

I hope this helps. Only playing a lot will gain you all the experience you need to set the best times, so don't expect this within a week or so.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

IcEcAt

thank you guys very much. now if the four month old will let me off to find more cool maps

IcEcAt

Significant dates in history:

Dec 07, 1941

"...Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."
  -FDR

edit: fixed "Doh!"
EDIT: how about now?!?!

UpperKEES

Your link doesn't work (you included 'http://' twice), so here's a working one:

Dec 07, 1941

Edit: nice map, if you like 'em quick.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Quote from: IcEcAt on September 07, 2010, 05:24:59 PM
Significant dates in history:

Dec 07, 1941

"...Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."
   -FDR

edit: fixed "Doh!"

Actually, NOT fixed. Hover your cursor over it and see:

The correct syntax is:

[url=http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewscores.php?missionGroup=chronom&month=11&day=7&year1=1&year2=9&year3=4&year4=1]Dec 07, 1941[/url]

Lose the http://" at the beginning and also the closing quotes.

IcEcAt

yet another fast map.

April 12, 5996

i got it in 1:25

Side note: does this link work on the first try? i think so...

Karsten75

Quote from: IcEcAt on September 08, 2010, 11:50:12 PM
yet another fast map.

April 12, 5996

i got it in 1:25

Side note: does this link work on the first try? i think so...

Good link and a nice map! :)

IcEcAt

National independence days:
     Mexican Independence Day

this was a tricky map to play. but fun on the third or fourth try

IcEcAt

Canadian Independence (sort of)

this was a fast one also

IcEcAt

Birth Dates:
     Jonathan Davis (lead singer of KORN) Jan 18, 1971

and i have no idea why it took me so long to beat this map. i think my daughter was fussin or something

L'ythelle

Quote from: IcEcAt on September 09, 2010, 04:52:43 AM
Birth Dates:

and i have no idea why it took me so long to beat this map. i think my daughter was fussin or something

You think it's hard now. Wait until she starts walking.  ::)

IcEcAt

Switzerland Alliance against the Holy Roman Empire, Aug 1, 1291

Quote from: L'ythelle on September 09, 2010, 07:34:37 AM
You think it's hard now. Wait until she starts walking.  ::)

I am SO looking forward to her walking. i am ready to play. ;D

IcEcAt

So we have: the US of A
                  Canada (sort of)
                  Switzerland

Here are some more major players in the Ice Hockey World:
                  Russia              June 12, 1990 (when the USSR was no more ((i think)) )
                  Czech Republic  Jan 1, 1993 or Oct 28, 1918 (from Austria-Hungary)
                  Slovakia           Jan 1, 1993 or July 17, 1992 (after the division of Czechoslovakia)
                  Finland             Dec 6, 1917 (from USSR)
                  Kazakhstan       Dec 16, 1991 (from USSR)
                  Latvia              May 4, 1990 (from USSR)

i have played most of them, but still working on the rest

RandyTravis

Quote from: IcEcAt on September 09, 2010, 02:27:53 AM
     Canadian Independence (sort of)

this was a fast one also

haha what a surprise, canadian independence day is a fools mate.  ;D