Custom Map #2934: Cursor-1 thx to DarkRubberNeck?. By: TrickyCorp

Started by AutoPost, February 28, 2022, 11:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2934: Cursor-1 thx to DarkRubberNeck?

Author: TrickyCorp
Size: 178x135

Durikkan

I feel like if you make more of these hybrid cursor maps, it might be a good idea to take a page from your cw3 cursor maps, and allow you to push a button to 'place' the cursor to better allow for controlling units without 'wasting' your cursor.  Not that I ever play completely optimally and I don't do this, but it bothers me slightly that the best course of action is to pause the game, give units orders, put the cursor back where it's needed most, then unpause.  It could even be optional, like if it's currently placed, it uses that, or if it's not, it follows the cursor. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: Durikkan on February 28, 2022, 05:39:40 PM
I feel like if you make more of these hybrid cursor maps, it might be a good idea to take a page from your cw3 cursor maps, and allow you to push a button to 'place' the cursor to better allow for controlling units without 'wasting' your cursor.  Not that I ever play completely optimally and I don't do this, but it bothers me slightly that the best course of action is to pause the game, give units orders, put the cursor back where it's needed most, then unpause.  It could even be optional, like if it's currently placed, it uses that, or if it's not, it follows the cursor.
It's kind of a one-time map for now but I'll consider it for the future if I can get it to work.
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

flamewolf393

Just cant be done. The problem is lack of energy. Even with a bertha going to clear out creep, you cant power enough cannons to establish footholds on other islands to take them over. You can barely keep your starting island defended with how little territory you have for energy coverage

Karsten75

Quote from: flamewolf393 on May 17, 2022, 01:40:13 AM
Just cant be done.

The player log would disagree with you. :)

Seems you have to figure out a better strategy. Good luck!

phischphood

Any hints for this map? Whatever I try fails. I start in the bottom left area, nullify the emitter, then I'm stuck. I can just about nullify the 3 in the middle section, but then the creeper from the adjoining islands overwhelms me and I don't have enough power or AC to continue. I've tried just building a wall to the centre section and working my way up to the emitters above the start island, but eventually that gets overwhelmed too. I don't have enough power to use the Bertha and defend myself from the creeper. Do you abandon the island and move to one of the 2 which are disconnected from others? I've not got enough firepower to do that either.

Abion47

Finally, beat this map. Once you crack the beginning, the rest of the map falls pretty neatly into place. A bit rough, but ultimately nicely satisfying.

Here are two tips for people getting stuck:

Spoiler
A couple of the ERNs are very getable early on, if by no other means than by just spamming TERPs at the creeper decay zones. Get the ERNs as soon as you establish your first foothold and put one of them on a Bertha ASAP. An ERN-empowered Bertha is an absolute necessity to clear this map, both offensively to thin out the wall of creeper in front and defensively to batter down creeper that overflows from the various islands.
[close]

Spoiler
It should be obvious, but it bears repeating because it can be easy to forget once you get into the normal base sprawl mindset.

This is a cursor map.

Get a sprayer to put AC down and use your cursor to spread it far and wide. That will clear more creeper than your turrets ever could.
[close]