The Inhibitor Liability

Started by burguertime, April 06, 2014, 07:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burguertime

Sometimes I come around a map like this one, where the map maker went to the trouble of nullifying the map and then someone goes straight for the inhibitor and gets a score an order of magintude faster.

So, what is the opinion of the community? When can you say it is nice to put an inhibitor on a custom map, and when does it becomes a liability?
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Lost in Nowhere

It's generally better when inhibitors are well-defended, for sure.
Don't die! :)

pawel345

That's a large trouble with inhibitors, especially on the DMD maps. If it's not protected enough then one can go for an easy win. The optimal solution is such that the inhibitor is protected in a such way that destroying some defences makes life a lot easier, but if one wants to they can try and go for the inhibitor at once.

Another option is making the inhibitor the only important enemy on the map, like on edurans river crossing http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14436.0 (I don't know why that one isn't on CS bdw).

Azraile

can't you just take the win condition out of it?

Relli

Quote from: Azraile on May 20, 2014, 04:49:33 PM
can't you just take the win condition out of it?
Sure. Delete the Inhibitor and put an Emitter with the same power in its place. I believe Inhibitors can also have a built-in AE Tower effect, which you can emulate by putting an actual AE Tower in the same spot or very close.

And if you really want something that looks like an Inhibitor but doesn't win automatically, you can probably make a CRPLCore that emits creeper and blocks air units, that does not destroy all enemies when it's destroyed, and give it the Inhibitor image, which can probably be found on the wiki.

Grayzzur

Inhibitors don't block air units.

They typically have strong emitters, blow all enemies on the map on destruction, and in the campaign block access to shielded planets.

There's no way to turn off their ability, but you can always put a custom image down with a blank CRPL core and pop a strong emitter on top of it.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Relli

Quote from: Grayzzur on May 20, 2014, 05:27:34 PM
Inhibitors don't block air units.
They don't usually, but I just double-checked the editor, and you can set a value for "AE Field Range" on an Inhibitor you place. I figured, since the option is there, I might as well explain how one could replicate it if they wanted that function as well.

Grayzzur

That's odd. Try setting it to some value and see what it does. It certainly doesn't stop air units from landing next to it as far as I can tell.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

exostum

The inhibitor block Artifact of Odin with AE field Range, not Air units. Seems a description bug to me.
My Work in progress Maps (On hold for now)

Azraile

the inhibitor image oddly isn't on the wiki

Grayzzur

Quote from: Azraile on May 21, 2014, 04:26:22 PM
the inhibitor image oddly isn't on the wiki
The "AC Tank" image in the Concept Units page on the wiki looks somewhat similar. You could modify it for the purposes of your custom crpl inhibitor, with or without an actual emitter plopped on top.

Quote from: exostum on May 20, 2014, 10:49:50 PM
The inhibitor block Artifact of Odin with AE field Range, not Air units. Seems a description bug to me.
Learn something new every day. Cool! That seems useful.

miquelfire

I knew about the AoO because I wanted to Mass it once, but was stopped.