Weekly 5-map Tournament Wiki

Started by Helper, January 23, 2013, 08:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helper

Quote from: Grauniad on January 23, 2013, 08:02:25 AM
Now that I look at it, that Player standings chard could possibly do with a new column for competitions where the palyer did not get a medal. What caught my eye and made me pause was when I saw that the total was larger than the sum of the first three columns.

Edit: But if we are going to discuss this more, we should move this since it's off-topic.

@G -
My understanding is that the Gold, Silver, Bronze medals earn 4, 2, and 1 points each.
If we calculate Gold*4 + Silver*2 + Bronze*1...that should equal "Total Points".

Please let me know if I'm tracking.
Thanks.

Grauniad

My mistake...

I don't know if this is of any help, but here is the spreadsheet I created by importing the web tables, then I munged it into the format for the wiki.

Might be easier to update this (and extend it) and then ultimately export it into the wiki. I'm thinking it can add the scores and with some work, it might be possible to extract player standings from the tournament table... but I'm not rally inclined to play too much with this ATM.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Helper

Using remote device ATM. Will check this out when I get back.
Thanks - I like Excel.

Grauniad

Just take care, you'll have to carry back some editing I did on the wiki tables if you want to preserve it... :)

Helper

I won't attempt in import (don't know how), but I sure like the formula you use to create the line entry.

Earlier today I was cutting/pasting/editing to do the updates and it took way too much focus. It will be a piece of cake to simply plug the data in the columns - then copy/paste the entire entry.

Sweet stuff.

Grauniad

It's interesting to import. In the Excel spreadsheet, use data, import from web. That opens up a mini-Internet Explorer. Paste in a URL and then "go". Mark the tables you are interested in and voila.

Edit. Interestingly enough, the wiki must be using something that prevents Excel from recognizing the tables. You cannot reverse import from the wiki. You can import from the forum and from most web pages, though.

Edit 2: Well, I was going to mess with the spreadsheet to retrofit the changes I applied to the wiki, but then I realized you also added stuff to the wiki (and that I can't reverse import from the wiki (see above). So now I can either mess with my version of the spreadsheet, or leave it up to you to figure out how to blank-pad the cells before outputting the updates to force alignment, etc, :)

My inclination is to leave it as is and let you (and others) go from here.

Helper

Quote from: Grauniad on January 23, 2013, 02:39:31 PM
My inclination is to leave it as is and let you (and others) go from here.

Good decision and I don't blame you!
Now that MagicMopa is involved, I think the situation is well in hand.
:)

mopa42

Helper (and anyone else who might work on the wiki):

I've got this for a first draft program, a new tab in the scorer. It just creates the table row text for the selected tournament and calculates player totals based on what's currently listed on the wiki. To use it you'd have to copy and paste the text manually. I am not currently thinking that the program should generate the entire wiki page from scratch each time.

Here's what I'm thinking about adding/changing: (maybe?)

• add link to forum for each tournament listed on the wiki
  • have the player rankings be listed in a table too for easy browsing. Might not need since there are links to the wiki page itself.
  • when the player rankings are read in, display a message if this week's tournament is done but is not listed on the wiki yet.
  • maybe have the program automatically update the tables (stored login info / prompt for login).

So my questions are:

• How does the program look so far?
  • Do any of those ideas seem like they would be useful?
  • Is there anything else you can think of to make the new stuff more useful.

Helper

@mopa -
I just heard my computer ding and came in to read your post.
First thing in the morning I will take a run at using it and give you some feedback.

Thank you for the work and I'm sure it meets your usual sky-high standards.
Til the morning.

Helper

OK - so I couldn't wait until morning LOL!
That line of code worked great - except that the scores are not right-justified (Current Tournament).
I don't know how to fix that, or I would.

Looking good!

Grauniad

Justification is done by the number of spaces between the table divider   | and the text.

|left Justified |
|  Right Justified|
|  Centered  |

Two spaces are enough to determine justification.

Helper

Grauniad

some more code can replicate this table in the wiki as well?

And while I'm asking, the same  code should be able to recreate a table with the list of map names and required complexity/size settings as well?

Clarification

This table

Here

mopa42

Incremental changes to my program - now it can format all the tables for the for forum or the wiki. This version is not super-stable, but could help with the wiki tables once we figure out exactly what goes where. The top3 result entry automagically has a link to the forum thread.

Grauniad

Mopa, thank you for all your work. I did some formatting and layout changes on the wiki to *hopefully* improve and tighten the presentation of data - but these things are stepwise and incremental - so if you or anyone else wish to make more changes, go right ahead. Part of my effort was to show what I think should go in the past tournament section.

Ps, I also made your comment visible and responded to it. :)