Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #10309: 103-The Cleaner

Author: Rennervate
Size: 255x255

Desc:
R. aka AlexX

wolfgoesmoo

Another tough start, but once I figured out how to get my forge up and running before most of the spores came online it wasn't too hard from there.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: wolfgoesmoo on October 09, 2022, 12:41:23 PMAnother tough start, but once I figured out how to get my forge up and running before most of the spores came online it wasn't too hard from there.

That's where I'm stuck--can't get enough power.  Obviously you head north, but it's a slow process and the beams consume more and more power faster than I can expand.

D0m0nik

I'm half way though, I headed west. Use the early PZs for reactors.

Aesher

Quote from: D0m0nik on October 09, 2022, 02:05:50 PMI'm half way though, I headed west. Use the early PZs for reactors.
Thank you, that gave me the basis to work off and clear the map.

I really must get out of the habit of a perfect defense.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: D0m0nik on October 09, 2022, 02:05:50 PMI'm half way though, I headed west. Use the early PZs for reactors.

I guess that might be possible.  Beat it by ignoring the easy targets and heading north as soon as possible.  Those easy targets take more energy to kill than to shoot down.

This map could use an inhibitor.  Once you have any landmass it's just a matter of time.

wolfgoesmoo

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on October 09, 2022, 07:21:47 PM

I guess that might be possible.  Beat it by ignoring the easy targets and heading north as soon as possible.  Those easy targets take more energy to kill than to shoot down.

This map could use an inhibitor.  Once you have any landmass it's just a matter of time.

You need to make sure and place your collectors in the center area to maximize early power. One on each of the tiny Ls and 2-3 on each of the big Ls. Nullify the northwest central spore tower first (combo with the north emitter), putting a reactor there. Nullify the northeast and southwest spore tower next. I think I put a beam on each of these immediately but you could probably use them for reactors first.

Build up mines, then two sprayers and a handful of cannons and a mortar. In retrospect the west side probably is easier to break into, but on the north side I put one sprayer on the PZ and the cannons + extra sprayer supporting. I built a forge ASAP, and also filled in collectors early to gain easy power. Then I worked my way over to the line of four spore towers to the west first and then kind of expanded from there, building reactors and collectors as necessary. At this point you might be tempted to try and deal with the southeast tower and build a sniper to deal with the runners but I think that's a trap, you can safely ignore the south island and southeast spore tower until much later. By the time it was spitting spores I had so many beams on PZs that they were destroyed nearly instantly.

Basically, you need to get your forge up and running and be able to have 2-3 energy upgrades before the spores get really heavy to have any hope of holding off the spore towers. My first few tries I got my forge running just as the spores got really heavy and the drain from totems + forge + beams swamped me.

If you find yourself with some extra energy in the mid-game you can ease some of the pressure with guppies+nullifiers for the towers on island since there isn't any AE.

Weasee

I liked the start, had a few goes at trying to get the forge up before the spores hit.
But once you have enough power and your PZ beams are taking care of the spore waves, the rest is straight forward.
Some feedback:
Once the initial stage is complete, I would really like to have some berthas or a Thor to clean up the rest of the level quickly, otherwise I find it too boring to complete!
Here I am at 30 mins or so, and I feel I've beaten the level already.

Spoiler
2022-10-12 18_20_08-.png
[close]

Weasee

(I was hoping the new forum system allowed spoiler-hiding the attachments, alas)

rennervate

Quote from: Weasee on October 12, 2022, 01:22:22 AMI liked the start, had a few goes at trying to get the forge up before the spores hit.
But once you have enough power and your PZ beams are taking care of the spore waves, the rest is straight forward.
Some feedback:
Once the initial stage is complete, I would really like to have some berthas or a Thor to clean up the rest of the level quickly, otherwise I find it too boring to complete!
Here I am at 30 mins or so, and I feel I've beaten the level already.

I have to agree with you. it gets a bit boring. but sometimes I quickly put together a map (it didn't take me 15 minutes) and then I think about whether to upload it or not... there aren't many new maps at the moment... so I uploaded them even though they weren't is really good.

-------------------------------------------------------
aka: AlexX

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: wolfgoesmoo on October 09, 2022, 10:05:03 PMBuild up mines, then two sprayers and a handful of cannons and a mortar. In retrospect the west side probably is easier to break into, but on the north side I put one sprayer on the PZ and the cannons + extra sprayer supporting. I built a forge ASAP, and also filled in collectors early to gain easy power. Then I worked my way over to the line of four spore towers to the west first and then kind of expanded from there, building reactors and collectors as necessary. At this point you might be tempted to try and deal with the southeast tower and build a sniper to deal with the runners but I think that's a trap, you can safely ignore the south island and southeast spore tower until much later. By the time it was spitting spores I had so many beams on PZs that they were destroyed nearly instantly.

I went the opposite way--terped up a square under my control that's below the north PZ, put a sprayer there, then shuffling a few cannons around cleared it enough I could hold it and push north.  I already had the three nearby PZ to deal with the spores for a while.

wolfgoesmoo

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on October 12, 2022, 11:26:44 PM
Quote from: wolfgoesmoo on October 09, 2022, 10:05:03 PMBuild up mines, then two sprayers and a handful of cannons and a mortar. In retrospect the west side probably is easier to break into, but on the north side I put one sprayer on the PZ and the cannons + extra sprayer supporting. I built a forge ASAP, and also filled in collectors early to gain easy power. Then I worked my way over to the line of four spore towers to the west first and then kind of expanded from there, building reactors and collectors as necessary. At this point you might be tempted to try and deal with the southeast tower and build a sniper to deal with the runners but I think that's a trap, you can safely ignore the south island and southeast spore tower until much later. By the time it was spitting spores I had so many beams on PZs that they were destroyed nearly instantly.

I went the opposite way--terped up a square under my control that's below the north PZ, put a sprayer there, then shuffling a few cannons around cleared it enough I could hold it and push north.  I already had the three nearby PZ to deal with the spores for a while.

Yeah I imagine that would work. On my last losing run before I figured out a start that worked, I lost once the clusters of four spore towers came fully online so I prioritized getting to that one, but it might not have been necessary.