Custom Map: Pizarro

Started by AutoPost, December 05, 2010, 10:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Pizarro

Author: Sqaz

Desc:
Conquering the Inca empire, the biggest empire in South Amerika with minimal resources? Only if you're a great spanish conquistador searching for cities of gold and beautiful jewels to spend your retirement in extreme luxury.
Energy is low, the terrain uneven so have you got what it takes to win?

UpperKEES

Well, that was some hard conquering! Loved it!

These Inca trails were indeed not very suitable for my Spanish soldiers. You would almost think they deserved that gold after their victory.... Having walked these trails myself made it extra special to me. I also liked playing with just 3 - 3.5 energy all the time!

It gave me exactly the right amount of frustration to make it a fun challenge, especially in the end when you can already smell the gold. I never had so many blasters almost dying on me and was swapping them constantly! First I figured that clearing the Pacific Ocean would be a good thing to start with, but I finally decided to just let it fill up.

The only remark I'd like to make is that I found it a bit hard to see what I was doing, just like with your other recent maps. I miss the shading between the different terrain levels and the green creeper on the green background also made it a bit harder. I lost 4 collectors and a blaster the first time I played because of that. I even went into the editor and removed the custom background to be able to study the map better.

On my second run I was familiar with the map however and knew what to do, so it caused me a lot less trouble to finish.

Again a very nice historical and geographical map Sqaz, thanks! :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on December 05, 2010, 03:34:35 PM
It gave me exactly the right amount of frustration to make it a fun challenge, especially in the end when you can already smell the gold. I never had so many blasters almost dying on me and was swapping them constantly! First I figured that clearing the Pacific Ocean would be a good thing to start with, but I finally decided to just let it fill up.

I cleared the Pacific though, with two drones and 8 blasters in once. But since you've got a better time I don't have to say much, but it's just so you know you don't have to constantly swap your blasters.

Quote from: UpperKEES on December 05, 2010, 03:34:35 PM
The only remark I'd like to make is that I found it a bit hard to see what I was doing, just like with your other recent maps. I miss the shading between the different terrain levels and the green creeper on the green background also made it a bit harder. I lost 4 collectors and a blaster the first time I played because of that. I even went into the editor and removed the custom background to be able to study the map better.

Yeah, I'll think about that in the future, I don't have to many problem with that as I make the map myself, but I'll try to use shading in the future.
About the green creeper that was just because I have a weird view of the colors of certain civilizations, probably due to too many Europa Universalis, I'd never make Spain something else than yellow too.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on December 06, 2010, 10:48:11 AM
I cleared the Pacific though, with two drones and 8 blasters in once. But since you've got a better time I don't have to say much, but it's just so you know you don't have to constantly swap your blasters.

The swapping of blasters (during my first attempt, which resulted in a time just above 20 minutes) was mainly due to my own style of play. I often didn't use enough of them when paratrooping and had to swap them for healthy ones that were capping emitters. The only one that was getting damaged because of capping itself was the one controlling the Portuguese, so I had to swap that one as well, because I was playing too slow to finish before it would die on me.

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on December 06, 2010, 12:37:28 PM
The swapping of blasters (during my first attempt, which resulted in a time just above 20 minutes) was mainly due to my own style of play. I often didn't use enough of them when paratrooping and had to swap them for healthy ones that were capping emitters. The only one that was getting damaged because of capping itself was the one controlling the Portuguese, so I had to swap that one as well, because I was playing too slow to finish before it would die on me.

You can also cap that emitter without placing the blaster on it, just place it before the river, and it should cap it just fine.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on December 06, 2010, 12:44:03 PM
You can also cap that emitter without placing the blaster on it, just place it before the river, and it should cap it just fine.

True, but I figured it would be wasting a lot more energy, because it keeps firing at the spread out creeper flowing down from the ledge....

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on December 06, 2010, 01:05:00 PM
Quote from: Sqaz on December 06, 2010, 12:44:03 PM

True, but I figured it would be wasting a lot more energy, because it keeps firing at the spread out creeper flowing down from the ledge....

No, once you clear the emitter with one blaster above it, another blaster can cap it from over the river just as easy as the other way. And you can of course use that blaster on the emitter again somewhere else.

UpperKEES

Oh, damn! I would almost replay to shave off another 20 seconds.... ;)

Frozty

Very challenging. I love Squaz's geographically accurate and historical maps.