Custom Map #1769: FPS: Nightmare maze. By: Kaiden

Started by AutoPost, June 19, 2021, 01:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1769: FPS: Nightmare maze

Author: Kaiden
Size: 256x160

superbrias

not that I want to see this feature again (in the same way one would not want to ride a scary/thrilling ride or eat a spicy wing, it's a little much for my taste) but I would say at the least there should be some feedback when you are dealing damage, it took so long I was about to give up thinking it was bugged.

otherwise I would say this seems to do its job nearly as intended.

heritor

Okay, so there's a few criticisms of this map.

- As soon as the monster reaches you, you're blind - because it covers your camera. This, combined with the narrowness of some sections and the small gaps that lead into next sections, means that for a lot of the map you're barely able to see what you're doing, just running around blind hoping for the best, and frequently pausing to plan out your next moves.
- The door unlocks not giving you any reference as to where/what door is unlocked is a pain, since you have to (again) pause, review the map, and see where a gap is.
- If you get the Shield upgrade, that further blocks your view since it's frequently shining on the too-close walls - turning what you would expect, given all of the previous FPS maps, an upgrade, into a downgrade.
- No health/armor upgrades means you're exactly as vulnerable throughout the entire map - which is probably intended, so fair enough, but combined with the constant view issues, feels like punishment.
- A stalking monster is fun when it stalks you, but this monster flies *over* the walls, so it doesn't actually stalk you at all. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for all the view issues, and requiring to stop to clear the creeper and collect the door unlock items.
- No save spots. *when* you die (because given the mechanics above, it's not *if* - this isn't skill-based in any way, shape nor form), you're back at the start and you have to try and navigate the too-narrow maze with no landmarks and a field-of-view that is painful back to where you need to be. All the while, the monster is flying above all the walls and heading straight for you.
- The 'end upgrade'? Because it's on breeder, you need to hammer it down, but doing so whilst constantly moving to avoid the monster that blocks your view at every chance is an exercise in futility.

The only way I found to complete this that didn't involve constantly dying was to ignore the actual game itself and use the minimap as a 2d level, turn the autospray and auto-fire on, look down, and navigate solely via the map as if the main game didn't exist.
Pro wrestler, graphic designer, video editor, programmer, cat daddy, game designer - I'm more caffeine than man.

knightace

This map seemed easy. I did enjoy it. For anyone having issues; try this-

put a point in autospray, sprayer area, weapon speed, then put points nowhere else but ALL into weapon effect. Just 'buy-queue' all the way up until you can't any more.
Use only the sprayer- nothing else, until the end of the map. You lay down enough AC that the creep left behind becomes overwhelmed so you can run around safely and easily, little risk. You can run in circles in a tiny room and not be swamped in creeper; instead develop a nice healthy pool of AC even while being chased.

This has an added benefit of when the door opens - the minimap shows the white AC spreading into an empty corridor. I never had to look too hard at the minimap, since I could see the AC spreading into the new hole on its own...so I went right there and it was always right.

I just kept this up to the end of the map, then went to a larger room which had a literal pool of AC and switched to sniper. Didn't even buy 'auto-sniper'. Just went from one side of the room to the other and rapid-fired the boss to death. Had enough AC already in the room I didn't have to switch off sniper.

Give it a try.

GadgetBoy

Quote from: heritor on June 19, 2021, 09:58:19 AM
Okay, so there's a few criticisms of this map.

- As soon as the monster reaches you, you're blind - because it covers your camera. This, combined with the narrowness of some sections and the small gaps that lead into next sections, means that for a lot of the map you're barely able to see what you're doing, just running around blind hoping for the best, and frequently pausing to plan out your next moves.
- The door unlocks not giving you any reference as to where/what door is unlocked is a pain, since you have to (again) pause, review the map, and see where a gap is.
- If you get the Shield upgrade, that further blocks your view since it's frequently shining on the too-close walls - turning what you would expect, given all of the previous FPS maps, an upgrade, into a downgrade.
- No health/armor upgrades means you're exactly as vulnerable throughout the entire map - which is probably intended, so fair enough, but combined with the constant view issues, feels like punishment.
- A stalking monster is fun when it stalks you, but this monster flies *over* the walls, so it doesn't actually stalk you at all. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for all the view issues, and requiring to stop to clear the creeper and collect the door unlock items.
- No save spots. *when* you die (because given the mechanics above, it's not *if* - this isn't skill-based in any way, shape nor form), you're back at the start and you have to try and navigate the too-narrow maze with no landmarks and a field-of-view that is painful back to where you need to be. All the while, the monster is flying above all the walls and heading straight for you.
- The 'end upgrade'? Because it's on breeder, you need to hammer it down, but doing so whilst constantly moving to avoid the monster that blocks your view at every chance is an exercise in futility.

The only way I found to complete this that didn't involve constantly dying was to ignore the actual game itself and use the minimap as a 2d level, turn the autospray and auto-fire on, look down, and navigate solely via the map as if the main game didn't exist.

Everything seconded here. Overall, I really enjoyed the concept you were presenting here, and I like how you attempted a confusing and disorienting map, but you did a bit too well.

The monster was too fast, and made it far harder than it should have been. Being able to go over walls made any attempt to put some distance between the nightmare and myself completely futile, which detracted from the chase feeling.

My suggestion would make it a easier to kill, but endless. Make it unable to go over walls, and make it a bit slower (think mr x. You can put him down but he has a bad habit of showing up again suddenly). The final room, rather than containing an upercache, should contain whatever is regenerating the nightmare.

AgRecluse

For anyone here for tips: don't look at your view, just use the mini-map to navigate. If you don't turn with the mouse, it's pretty easy to use just WASD and the mini-map to get around.

Shatterstep

Not a fan of maps with stuff chasing me. Especially when I can't see and it is right at the very start.

Malignantmind

I mean. I beat it. But it was not in any way a fun or enjoyable map.

Fabio pen

I really liked the idea! The map is easy, after the failed attempts where I hadn't seen that there was a door there, I got through the first time without dying.

But I must say it was not a nice map to play. The view is already very close and with the narrow passages it is horrible to play, not being pleasant.

My take on how to turn this map into a success.

1- Make the map big. (  with a real labyrinth, not just a single path that opens doors )
2 - Put visible and numbered or colored doors and say which door was opened. ( very relevant item, the person goes through the door, or through the doors, and one of them opens later, but leave several possible paths, and not just paths that are difficult to see )
3 - Make the passages/paths, open/wide, put on visuals, decorations, make the race pleasant  ( The path has to be wide, this item is mandatory )
4 - Place easy enemies along the way ( is an option to make it more interesting )

Again, I really like the idea and would really like to see a map of this style with these improvements, my intention is just to help. I'm sure you'll like the map.

many will like it