CW3 Blurry UI AMD Crimson Drivers need help

Started by kwerboom, January 22, 2016, 06:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwerboom

Hi. I contacted this forum years ago about blurry graphics in this message. In that message I was told to change the mipmap setting in AMD Catalyst Control Center to make the graphics in games sharper. I now have a new computer with a R9 280 in it. The new AMD Crimson Drivers (16.1) are giving me problems with Creeper World 3. The new Crimson drivers don't have any such settings, so I can't make the text and images look better. I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem and what solutions I could use to fix this? I have already tried contacting AMD Customer Care, but that doesn't seem to be working quite like I'd hoped so I'm also asking for help here.

Karsten75

Choose any setting that says "quality" over "performance".

kwerboom

Quote from: Karsten75 on January 22, 2016, 09:01:48 AM
Choose any setting that says "quality" over "performance".

That's my problem, I don't see any such settings in the AMD Crimson Drivers. I know that setting existed in AMD Catalyst Control Center, but I can't find a setting that does the same thing in these new drivers. I uploaded the "AMD Radeon Gaming Global Settings" and "AMD Radeon Gaming CW3 Settings" to show the settings available to me. I set the "Texture Filtering Quality" to "High" and that didn't do anything either. Also I uploaded the "AMD Radeon Hardware", "AMD Radeon Software", and "AMD Radeon Hardware" to show basic information about my machine. Furthermore, I've uploaded "CW3 Video Settings Screen" to show the video settings in my copy of the game and "CW3 in game screen shot" to show the state of the game graphics on my system.

knucracker

There's a "more..." near the top right on the global and app settings pages.  Does that take you to advanced settings?  It is usually the texture quality that is being forced to 'low' (or 'high performance') that is making everything look fuzzy.  Those settings say "high", though.

kwerboom

Quote from: virgilw on January 23, 2016, 10:27:19 AM
There's a "more..." near the top right on the global and app settings pages.  Does that take you to advanced settings?  It is usually the texture quality that is being forced to 'low' (or 'high performance') that is making everything look fuzzy.  Those settings say "high", though.

I though that too, but all "more..." has is a light description of the available options. I posted some screenshots to show this.

knucracker

Yeah, I'm at a loss and basically can only google around like anyone else can on this issue.  It's clear the textures are of low quality and/or the mip maps are way off.  I'd of course try flipping different settings to see if any of them make any difference.  I'd also try the global settings, as I've seen application settings appear to not work in older amd settings software (I used to run a radeon in my main development desktop).  And of course the occasional full system reboot after setting the settings to make sure the driver isn't just bugged and not taking the settings or something.

kwerboom

Quote from: virgilw on January 23, 2016, 07:17:57 PM
Yeah, I'm at a loss and basically can only google around like anyone else can on this issue.  It's clear the textures are of low quality and/or the mip maps are way off.  I'd of course try flipping different settings to see if any of them make any difference.  I'd also try the global settings, as I've seen application settings appear to not work in older amd settings software (I used to run a radeon in my main development desktop).  And of course the occasional full system reboot after setting the settings to make sure the driver isn't just bugged and not taking the settings or something.

Thank you for trying to help.

knucracker

If you figure something out, let us know.  Somebody else will likely experience the same thing at some point (unless it is just a driver issue that AMD fixes soon... which I am wondering about).

TLFP

If it's any help to anybody, I used to have CW3 demo on an OLD computer with a AMD graphics card and it looked VERY blurry. I would say maybe a driver issue cause if it's new it shouldn't be doing that but if it's 3+ years it's possible it's starting to go.
Currently ghosting, don't mind me.
Christian, my list of various content creation groups can be found here

kwerboom

Quote from: virgilw on January 24, 2016, 08:55:38 AM
If you figure something out, let us know.  Somebody else will likely experience the same thing at some point (unless it is just a driver issue that AMD fixes soon... which I am wondering about).

I fixed the problem by uninstalling the Crimson Driver, installing Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta, during uninstall of Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta selecting 'Uninstall All Previous Versions' of Catalyst, and reinstalling Crimson Driver. I searched the AMD website and found the last version of Catalyst for Windows 10 called Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta located at http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx. I installed the Catalyst Driver. "Creeper World 3" worked correctly on the first try without going into the "3D Application Settings" and creating a specific profile for it. When I went to uninstall Catalyst, it offered me three options: 'Uninstall Current Version', 'Uninstall All Previous Versions', 'Cancel'. I selected 'Uninstall All Previous Versions' just to be safe and restarted my system. I then installed Crimson 15.12 and restarted my system again. To my surprise, "Creeper World 3" worked. I then upgraded to Crimson 16.1 and Crimson 16.1.1 and got the same results each time. I don't know why any of this worked, but it did.

Karsten75