Custom Map #1957: Scarcity. By: Snubnose

Started by AutoPost, October 17, 2023, 02:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1957: Scarcity

Author: Snubnose
Size: 480x270

Desc:
Scarce resources. This is my first map, so feedback definitely appreciated. Enjoy! Destroy everything!

Kalleion

8/10: A difficult but fair map. I found it took a variety of strategies to beat and swapping between offensive and defensive positions regularly. However, it lacks a wow factor and some minor grievances keep it from getting a higher score. A great attempt for a first map. Finished in 50:35 which is pretty long time for me.

Pros;
It's a bit of a slow map, which seems intended by the energy mines and name, but I felt I almost always had some task to do. The HQ is fairly safe to move around especially on the right side which helps with a smooth feeling early game. The Doppels are a hindrance but didn't seem to be a threat of a death spiral. Limited use of Mk.7's is always a plus in my book, even more so when the map is still hard.

Cons;
Enemy armor is a pain to get through and to me just slows the map down more than is really necessary in most cases, struct may have been a better thing to use. The Amp gem fabricators being outside of the energy fields mean you have to keep a supplier nearby, that's fine for the second one, but for the first one it prevents you from using anything other than your HQ for a while.

PS: I'm not sure if it'll change but the fairly low score it it has right now is probably due to the high difficulty not so much the quality.

Snubnose

Thanks for the feedback! That's actually really helpful! I was a bit worried about the doppels early on, so good to know they weren't too annoying.

What do you mean by the armour, by the way? Do you mean the big ships half way through?

stdout

Also an 8/10 for me.

Felt very slow paced, which was kind of fun at the beginning, but near the end I felt like I wasn't getting rewarded for advancing through the map. I like maps that start really slow and challenging, and as you win small battles you are rewarded with things that make you more powerful (in the form of energy mines, amp gems, or best: new ships).

This map would have been more fun if we had been given some good rewards in the form of better ships upon capturing the center islands. Then the end game would be a quick and easy mop up which would have been more satisfying. The dopplers were hard to deal with given the limited ships. I would have appreciated something with a lot of cannons and/or lasers to quickly deal with the dopples. A varro reward for the center island on the left would have been sweet.

Nevertheless, great map. I look forward to more from you in the future!

Snubnose

Yeah, I think if I were to make the level again, I'd leave out the doppels at the beginning. I like the challenge of the end ones with limited resources though. The beginning ones don't really add anything to the level and getting rid of them would make the whole level quicker.

Anonymeus

The doppels at the beginning were the best part..