Questions related to customization

Started by iycgtptyarvg, August 19, 2011, 03:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iycgtptyarvg

Dear Virgil,

I just checked the map editor, and I'm REALLY excited!

I have 4 questions/remarks:

Currently it's only possible to change the terrain tiles, but I really hope you can implement customized enemies and such as well. In all honesty I don't really like the default tile-set and I'm sure some graphics wizards out there can make the game look better.

Related to point 1, are you planning to make it possible to load the custom graphics for any map? I.e., I select a tile-set in the settings of CW2, and then every map I play (custom or built-in) will use the custom tile-set. This would be a killer feature for me!

Is it possible to customize the built-in maps? There are some maps I'd like to tweak. E.g., I really love the 'Cube' level and want to expand it with more rooms.

How come you are so awesome?

Ranakastrasz

Is it possible to customize the built-in maps? There are some maps I'd like to tweak. E.g., I really love the 'Cube' level and want to expand it with more rooms.

Yes, You can open the map and save it, and load the save file in the editor.

Sqaz

Quote from: iycgtptyarvg on August 19, 2011, 03:46:35 AM
Currently it's only possible to change the terrain tiles, but I really hope you can implement customized enemies and such as well. In all honesty I don't really like the default tile-set and I'm sure some graphics wizards out there can make the game look better.

He probably will do that once, but integrating that is a lot of work, so it'll take a while.
Regarding the second part of that first question: During the beta some already made nice tile sets, I'm sure they'll soon be posted somewhere.

knucracker

1:  Yes, I will eventually add the ability to create custom unit graphics.  I really wish I could have put that in for this update, but I just had to make a decision to defer it.

2: Loading custom graphics for any map is a 'maybe'.  The reason is that there are tiles, characters, and in the future units.  I would have to have them all packed into one png to be easily loadable into any game.  Can be done, just not a top priority.

3: Related to #2, you can save any of the built in maps and them modify them in the editor.  So you could play Cubic with a different background and tiles, more or less enemies.  Note that when you do this, it becomes a 'different' map and scores won't be posted against the original map.  To do this, just press "p" while on the black title screen of a map.  This will pause the game before it even starts.  Click to start the map, then save the game into a slot.  Grab the slot file and open it in the editor and you are in business.

4: Optical Illusion....

iycgtptyarvg

Quote from: virgilw on August 19, 2011, 09:27:38 AM2: Loading custom graphics for any map is a 'maybe'.  The reason is that there are tiles, characters, and in the future units.  I would have to have them all packed into one png to be easily loadable into any game.  Can be done, just not a top priority.
Well, I hope you get around to it eventually. I can remember this from Boulderdash on my C64 and it was great.

Quote from: virgilw on August 19, 2011, 09:27:38 AM3: Related to #2, you can save any of the built in maps and them modify them in the editor.  So you could play Cubic with a different background and tiles, more or less enemies.  Note that when you do this, it becomes a 'different' map and scores won't be posted against the original map.  To do this, just press "p" while on the black title screen of a map.  This will pause the game before it even starts.  Click to start the map, then save the game into a slot.  Grab the slot file and open it in the editor and you are in business.
I did not know this. Thanks for the info!

lich98

I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra