Dry Land is a Myth Discussion

Started by knucracker, May 08, 2015, 09:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scifispirit

This update looks good. I've been waiting for more detail and variety in the game, and it has more of it now.

My biggest wish though, is that it would be possible to lose late games in Game 4. You know how you can just leave the game running indefinitely in Creeper World 3 (and probably also in CW2 and CW), after you have enough energy output and units to destroy the Creeper output (and other units). Not too exciting, and especially cleaning up the remaining Creeper to destroy the emitters when it is easy to do so and might even consist of a large part of gameplay time on a particular map is not the best part of CW3. Those are the things i would like to see improved in Game 4.

Many difficult maps in CW3 are difficult only in the beginning (often in a frustrating way, so that there are a set of very specific actions you have to take, and you can't possibly know what they are), or have scripted time limits or other map specific mechanics to make enemies in them more threatening (not a fan of time limits either, though creative use of scripting to introduce new gameplay mechanics or other things is very welcome). I would like to see some basic gameplay design offer difficulty also in the late part of missions in Game 4.

I just thought it would be best to give this feedback early enough for Game 4, because it's a bit too late for CW3 i guess :)

This same problem was also identified in Prison Architect by players, Chris mentioned it in one of his Alpha Update videos. Players could just leave a well-functioning and profitable prison running on it's own and keep gathering more money without requiring any player input. Chris deemed this a bad thing and made changes. And i agree. Sort of similar thing here with CW3 and i hope not Game 4 ;)

squallsoft

I think limiting the ship functionality on land is a really good balance. It can easily be explained via story..

Blue Dwarf

Quote from: Epic4242 on May 11, 2015, 02:44:02 PM
I don't quite understand why the ships can pass over the land but not work on them. I mean from a physical, not gameplay, point of biew

Isn't it obvious?

A ship floating free in space has an easy time drifting around, just a thrust here and there to send you in the right direction.

A ship hovering over a large body of mass, though, needs to apply a lot of extra thrust to prevent itself from crashing down onto the rock. It needs to divert that power away from weapons.

Epic4242

Thanks!

I hadn't thought about Gravity, I thought the land was just floating chunks of rock. Not big enough to have a significant gravitational pull.

iycgtptyarvg

I am SOOOOOOOOOO happy to see a fourth game coming! I played CW1 a LOT, and CW 3 quite a bunch also (didn't like CW 2 much).

So excited in fact, I decided to dive into CW 3 again. LOVING IT!

Anonymeus

I think I may have almost finished playing CW1 (though I might end up sinking _another_ 3 years into it, just the same)... but yes, CW4TISNCW4 (creeperworld4thatisnotcreeperworld4) is beginning to look rather good...

Vanguard

I agree with scifispirit.

There needs to be an escalating mechanism. It could be as simple as an increase in particle production the longer an enemy spawner exists, but it could also be stuff like the enemy receiving additional buildings on bogged land over time.

Assume fully bogged land won´t stop taking in particles and at certain thresholds it will spawn long range missiles which spawn particles on hit. Or it will simply spawn "snakes" that sidewind at high speed to the next available target.

Qwerty Quazo

Vangard, i agree with you but missiles with particles may be spores.Is there a maximum number of particles in a map? if it is as the video, there will be not so much fun if it hadn't the double.
The brain is complicated. Use it or lose it.