Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #9518: No Free Will 2

Author: Martin Gronsdal
Size: 200x100

Desc:
no tricks, spores and runners

Martin Gronsdal

What I meant was that there are no tricks but there are spores and runners.

marvinitfox

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on June 04, 2021, 10:08:45 AM
What I meant was ... spores

No Kidding!!!

Once that third 25-spore-tower kicked in, I was very hard pressed to keep enough energy flowing to supply enough beams to keep myself safe.

Still, for anyone that has conquered the previous map, this one should be easy enough.

The *main* pathway to rapid success here is to:
Spoiler

get the cannon *before* you release the digi-death flood

And to do that you need to:
Spoiler

i hope these spoilers nest.. ah cool, they do.

use your *relays* to access the cannon island.
Then neutralize the air interdictor there.
Then build a collector-on-pz that could replace the relay link (I also placed a guppy in relay position)
Then build a relay link to the south island.

Sure you now have 2 links that both need to be alive at the same time for the pickup, but they only need to be alive for a microsecond. This *is* doable, especially if you place a great many decoy targets for the runners.

Defending against the digi-death flood is *much* easier if you have a few hundred charged cannons awaiting the flood.
[close]
[close]

P.s.
Thanx for the great map, Martin!

Martin Gronsdal

Was the east island too tedious?

Thanks for playing

marvinitfox

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on June 04, 2021, 06:02:32 PM
Was the east island too tedious?

Thanks for playing

Nah.
It was easy, and fast.
Required the willingness to build cannons and sprayers, load them with ammo and just send them out to die.
But easy.

I suspect it may be more of a drag if that big emitter on the inhibitor is allowed to flood the island to a greater depth, when I went in it only had about 25-30 creeper near the top.  So, players should be as fast as possible on the left, to prevent the right from becoming unpleasant.

Martin Gronsdal

Right.

A Bertha would prevent a situation like that but my dementia... oh, forgot what to write

paco42

"I sent wave after wave of my own men to die"

-Zapp Brannigan

--Martin Gronsdal

Martin Gronsdal

chwooly

Saying no trick is a lie, There must be one because there is no way across to the eastern island and when/if you destroy all the nullifiers you can reach you are so inundated with creep that everything is destroyed,

Not a fun map
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

marvinitfox

Quote from: chwooly on June 08, 2021, 10:35:15 PM
Saying no trick is a lie, There must be one because there is no way across to the eastern island and when/if you destroy all the nullifiers you can reach you are so inundated with creep that everything is destroyed,

Not a fun map

Sure you can get across..

Just build sprayers and canons, and fly them across.
(this of course requires you to first get the cannons, while you are there also kill the air interdictor in the north...)

And fly guppies to the north of the eastern island to provide energy to build your network there, and power the neutralizers to kill the enemy.

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: chwooly on June 08, 2021, 10:35:15 PM

Not a fun map

ok, I honestly didn't think relay on PZ is a trick, but that's you connection north.

the map is pretty simple, but - I agree, that when digitalis dies, there's a practical problem - that parts of map, like the dots for getting the pickups, are getting flooded too much. But there's no increase in creeper after that, so just 3-4 tours with sacrafical sprayers and you are there...

thank you for playing

chwooly

I went back in and tried again after I saw the comment by Marvinfox pointing out that I missed the landing point for guppy's at the very top. AND I still stand by my not fun map comment, I was able to get a foot hold for about 1 second before I was inundated by the over powering spores which kills my cannons and sprayers and beams, I don't get how having to pause every second and micro manage every single detail down to the micro second is fun but hey, For those that enjoy it good on you.

I will go back to not playing these maps again as being so frustrated by not being able to complete a "simple" map is not fun. And to be honest calling this a simple map is insulting to those of us that find this impossibly frustrating.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: chwooly on June 11, 2021, 08:35:50 PM
I went back in and tried again after I saw the comment by Marvinfox pointing out that I missed the landing point for guppy's at the very top. AND I still stand by my not fun map comment, I was able to get a foot hold for about 1 second before I was inundated by the over powering spores which kills my cannons and sprayers and beams, I don't get how having to pause every second and micro manage every single detail down to the micro second is fun but hey, For those that enjoy it good on you.

I will go back to not playing these maps again as being so frustrated by not being able to complete a "simple" map is not fun. And to be honest calling this a simple map is insulting to those of us that find this impossibly frustrating.

what I meant by "simple" is that the tricks aren't overly difficult, aka you don't have to refrain from moving a terp or something like that or that you can never land the CN and so on.

but I agree - the spores are very difficult, but then again - you have a lot of PZs so it becomes increasingly manageable. Key is to have the forge fully upgraded in all aspects.

Johnny Haywire

Enter Johnny with his "Sit back and relax" method  8)

Rushing the north island will be stressful. Flying waves of suiciding sprayers to the east island is stressful. If you have time to let the game run, try this easier method:

Oh, by the way. First of all...   *If you LAND (i.e., from orbit) your CN's in the corners, the runners won't stun them* 
                                                    *If you MOVE (i.e., fly & land) your CN's to the corners, the runners will stun them*
Spoiler

1) Land your CN's in the corners and build a base for max beam defense (beams, reactor in the far PZ perhaps, and a forge) Don't worry about AC. One thing at a time, k? This is EASY, not FAST.

2) Once you're sure you can (A) shoot down all the spores and (B) keep your totems powered, start harvesting some ore.

3) Set sprayers to "always on" and walk away for an hour or so... make sure the AC is overflowing, just to be safe. (This is overkill, but who cares?)

4) When you come back, max your forge out, and go super-heavy on the AC capacity (this will come in later)

5) Build a bunch of sprayers to suicide the top island with, and a couple guppies. Start from left to right and just nullify everything except one emitter (to keep the digi from breaking... we wanna build up some AC on the new island first. Grab the relay & cannon, or just use guppies to power stuff and supply it with AC.

6) Repeat step #3, but for the top island this time.

7) Once the top island has AC ~ 150 deep, nullify the last emitter and break the digi. Your islands will be safe. (Trust Johnny)  8)

8a) Now, you can either flood the top island and wait like half a day for the AC to reach the east island, or
8b) Fill up your CN's with AC and send them to orbit. If you want to make this faster, use sprayers set to "enable AC collection field" and "dispatch excess AC as ore" all around your islands.

9) You can repeat this process as long as you like, but once the island is flooded with AC, drop a bunch of blasters set to attack digi and power them with a bunch of guppies. Nullify stuff and use the PZ's for blasters, beams, whatever. You got it from here.  ;)
[close]
I'm not a huge fan of suiciding sprayers, so I opted for this route while I did some work @ the office. Might be easier, especially if you hate multi-tasking.  :D

As for the map itself, I like that it's designed in such a way that it can be played using different methods. Lots of AC & spores is always a big bonus of happy joy in my book.

Thanks for the map!
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Martin Gronsdal

What is the CRPL code for now allowing JH to walk away from the computer?