A little aesthetic Mortar feature request

Started by Clean0nion, February 16, 2014, 04:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

Pulse cannons change colour depending on what they're targeting - orange for creeper, cyan for digitalis, and green for runners.
Is there any chance of the same thing for Mortars?
Currently they can target creeper and digitalis, just creeper, or just digitalis. So here's what I'm thinking: the colour of either the outer spikes or the CPA (yep I just acronymed that) changes, or both, but not the base - just like the pulse cannon.
Sure it isn't necessary... just a nice little feature.

So I changed the hue on both images, and here are my results.

DEFAULT (Creeper and Digitalis)
Spoiler
Left these as red because this is what you're going to see when you build the thing. We don't want to confuse anyone.

[close]

DIGITALIS ONLY
Spoiler
Made these quite cyan, same as the pulse cannons.

[close]

CREEPER ONLY
Spoiler
Made these purplish. Didn't make them green because they don't target runners, and that might confuse people.

[close]

I'm sure MadMag will be able to come up with better images, but this is just a feature request.
Thank you!

EllisInWonderland

I support this. Maybe turn them yellow, when they attack creeper only because pulse cannons prioritize creeper in yellow mode.

burguertime

Quote from: EllisInWonderland on February 16, 2014, 05:55:55 PM
I support this. Maybe turn them yellow, when they attack creeper only because pulse cannons prioritize creeper in yellow mode.

Third that request.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

planetfall

The dark blue and purple look too similar to tell at a glance on a busy map.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

TLMike

I agree with PF. And to add, I know some people whom I got into CW, who are also blue/purple color blind. So, that's not a great color choice. And while I'm on the subject, color blind support would be neat, but I'm not pushing for it at all.

Grauniad

Custom Creeper/Anti-creeper colors are specifically intended for color blind support.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Chthon

Quote from: Grauniad on February 16, 2014, 09:03:41 PM
Custom Creeper/Anti-creeper colors are specifically intended for color blind support.
I think that they mean for the turret colors, not the creeper colors.  Currently you can only change creeper/anti-creeper color.

TLMike

Right. I did mean Turret colors. At a glance you can't really tell of a Blaster is in Digitalis Priority or Creeper Priority, if you're color blind that is.

Again, I'm not pushing for any more support than there already is. Just saying that blue/purple color choice isn't ideal.

Asbestos

There should be a separate menu in the Options screen that allows you to adjust what color each turret mode is, like with creeper/AC.

thejoe66

Colors whould be nice but i feel it's not that needed but worth considering
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

Nephthys

I agree that Mortars should have an indication of some sort when set to Digitalis Only. The thought occurred to me (and others no doubt) quite some time ago, but I never brought it up. Thanks to CleanOnion for addressing this for us!

It would be very helpful & in line with the changes that are applied to other units when their functionality is modified. Yep, you've spoiled us V.!  :)

I think changing them to the same Blue as PCs when they are set to prioritize Digitalis would make the most sense. Unless this would be an issue for those who are color-blind as mentioned earlier in this thread.

OR change the entire unit to Red, eliminating the Silver completely.

OR add an outline around the unit, although that might be confused with disabling it in some way.

OR overlay a "D" on it. (Hmm, maybe not especially practical or easy to see).

OR make it glow/blink/pulse/flash.

OR change the shape of the ammunition. Maybe to a larger circle/star/square instead of the flower-like ammo in basic mode.

OR any of the previous suggestions made by others. Whatever is easiest yet most indicative of the modification.

I'm done.  :)