CTD on startup

Started by bongolus, January 06, 2016, 07:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bongolus

You fail on loading steam_api.dll, seriously?

How to fix this?

bongolus

CTD = crash to desktop, if somehow you're not familiar with the acronym.

I still need help to get this bloody piece of shit you call a software to start.

Michionlion

Well, I'm not in a position to help you, but it may help if you are polite about it. Only thing I know is that steam_api.dll errors are usually related to pirated copies, but I don't want to assume anything about your situation based on that - there are a lot of other factors that could be involved. Have you tried running the executable directly, instead of through steam, and running it as admin? That may solve any permission problems.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

bongolus

I'm polite as possible.
Yes, I've tried the ususal. reboot (delete, reboot, install, start and reboot, delete, install, start), run as admin, run in compatibly mode for windows 8 and 7, start the excecutable direct, I've installed it to different hdds, hand created the creeperworld3 folder in Documents, I've even tried to copy the steam_api.dll from the root folder to /CW3_data/Plugins. Nothing worked.

I can't even tell if the error in the logs is the problem at hand. It's just for me, as beeing a software developer myself, logical that a application won't start if it can't load the required dlls and that's what the log says "[Steamworks] Could not load [lib]steam_api.dll. It's likely not in the correct location."

Also, I've spend several hours on google, like finding those threads
https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=15836.0

I'ts exactly the problem i have, it's nearly 2 years old and the solution is in a private message... I can't help it, I'm pretty pissed.

knucracker

The solution in that other thread was to hook the user up with the non-steam version.... which a dedicated member of my tech support team will be more than happy to do in your case as well.  Just send an email to support@knucklecracker.com referencing this thread.  I've left a note on the desk of the head of TS, so he can personally handle your case.

Typically, a full system reboot (which restarts the steam client) fixes the steam init issue about 80% of the time.  Another 19.9% of cases is fixed by identifying permissions errors (either OS permissions errors, or steam initialization permission errors from unlicensed content).  As a software dev yourself, I know you can appreciate how varied systems are.  However, note that the overwhelming majority of well over 100k steam copies work just fine.  So the issue is something subtle and not something very common.

bongolus

Mail send, thx.

I know that 3. party libraries can be a pain in the ass. But on the other hand, the majority of my 137 steam games runs fine, so far it's only one that buckles.