Weekly 5-map history theme tournament - overview, rules & rankings

Started by UpperKEES, September 06, 2010, 04:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: Blaze on September 21, 2010, 12:17:00 AM
Biggest technological break-throughs.

In what does a break-through differ from an invention? Just checking, because I'm not sure myself.

Another proposal: I was thinking of the outbreak of plagues.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

RandyTravis

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 21, 2010, 03:34:32 AM

In what does a break-through differ from an invention? Just checking, because I'm not sure myself.

I was thinking about that, because just like the deadliest floods... we don't know the exact date. We know the time period, the year, maybe even the month, or the part of the month... so... 10 maps? That's a bit much. Or the deadly floods of the Yellow River in China? Those lasted months usually.

What I thought would be fun would be like... disasters that were most  famous for a few days... like... August 29th - September 6th, 2005 or something would be an interesting series.

Blaze

Well, I gave it to you to throw around, make it whatever you want now.
Like Tech stuff or all around inventions.
Doesn't matter.

UpperKEES

Quote from: RandyTravis on September 21, 2010, 12:43:13 PM

I was thinking about that, because just like the deadliest floods... we don't know the exact date. We know the time period, the year, maybe even the month, or the part of the month... so... 10 maps? That's a bit much. Or the deadly floods of the Yellow River in China? Those lasted months usually.

What I thought would be fun would be like... disasters that were most  famous for a few days... like... August 29th - September 6th, 2005 or something would be an interesting series.

Yeah, you really need to know a starting date for plagues and floods, otherwise picking a map becomes too random. I'm not sure about the selection of a 5-day period, because I can imagine it might contain some very easy maps (fools mates).

For the themes I picked myself I had a look at the maps corresponding to certain dates and just chose the ones that were a little harder. I think for any theme more than 5 dates can be found to pick from. For the tournaments the quality of the maps is probably more important than which specific dates have been chosen (as long as they match the chosen theme).

UpperKEES

With his second place in the computer (game) tournament (see here), Alwego has selected the theme for next weeks tournament: richest people.

UpperKEES

After winning the richest people tournament (see here), I have chosen the theme for next weeks tournament: math/physics/astronomy scientists.

mthw2vc

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 24, 2010, 05:55:45 PM
Let's extend this rule right now: as long as I keep winning the tournament the number 2 will pick the theme + maps. I will only be able to pick the theme again once I didn't win, but do win a future tournament. Everybody happy? 8)
I think Fisherck is supposed to be picking the theme this time...

UpperKEES

Hmmm, I obviously forgot what I wrote here. My apologies to Fisherck! I just posted next weeks theme + maps, but I have no problem changing these to a theme + maps chosen by Fisherck. Just let me know by PM and I'll change it accordingly.

Fisherck

Since I am to busy tonight I will let UpperKEES go ahead with the dates he already has. I will be smart  and plan ahead when I do have time, and get the dates and theme ready for next time I do win ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Heheh, I just deleted my own selection, but I'm glad I made a copy for future use. Sorry again!

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 24, 2010, 05:55:45 PM
Let's extend this rule right now: as long as I keep winning the tournament the number 2 will pick the theme + maps. I will only be able to pick the theme again once I didn't win, but do win a future tournament.

Let's extend the rule one more time to make it as fair as possible:
- The winner of last weeks tournament picks the theme + maps for next weeks tournament
- When this winner won the previous tournament as well, the runner up (#2) will pick the theme + maps
- When this runner up already picked last weeks theme (same top 2 twice), the number three will pick the theme + maps
- When this number three already picked last weeks theme (same top 3 three times), the winner will pick the theme + maps again

Please let me know if there are any objections.

Fisherck

My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

thepenguin

- The winner of last weeks tournament picks the theme + maps for next weeks tournament
- When this winner won the previous tournament as well, the runner up (#2) will pick the theme + maps
- When this runner up already picked last weeks theme (same top 2 twice), the number three will pick the theme + maps
- When this number three already picked last weeks theme (same top 3 three times), the winner will pick the theme + maps again the number four will pick the theme + maps

I agree, only there might be one change in it, I don't object to yours; just use whichever one you think is better
We have become the creeper...

L'ythelle

Quote from: thepenguin on October 05, 2010, 05:40:00 PM
- When this number three already picked last weeks theme (same top 3 three times), the winner will pick the theme + maps again the number four will pick the theme + maps

If we use this rule in 6 weeks it will be my turn. I better get thinking!  :-\

IcEcAt

thepenguin

We have become the creeper...