Request: Some AI for dopples and enemy ships

Started by tanelorn, October 24, 2016, 12:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanelorn

One of the more frustrating parts of playing missions with dopples and enemy ships is that they follow their course and will simply ram you if you are in their way. This is especially a problem for faster enemy ships as they can basically kill any of your ships simply by ramming. I would much prefer that the enemy ships follow their course but engage in combat as they come in weapons range to your ships. Losing your most powerful craft simply because you crossed their preprogrammed flight path is not fun.

12345ieee

I would argue that a proper AI should hammer your ships, but with intent purpose.

In other words, asking for a good AI will only make fights more difficult/frustrating.

GoodMorning

Have you ever fought a Doppel Marauder using only a Tanker in the Simulacrum? Doppels under default settings are almost useless save for ramming capacity.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

tanelorn

dopple ramming makes a bit more sense but definitely not whole ships. You can't slow them down and they get a guaranteed kill if they ram.

GoodMorning

It depends on ship geometry. If you see an approaching Carrier, then get your Destroyer out of the way. However, the converse applies. When using the same ship, tactical rotations can tip the balance.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

planetfall

At some point in beta, ship AI was changed so that Defend and Defend_Roam made the ship stop and take pot shots at targets, while doppels would still ram ships. Most of the time that makes sense, but not if the ship is a hammer. So, I ask for Defend_Ram abd Defend_Roam_Ram options for ship spawners.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.