Editor sound preview

Started by planetfall, September 23, 2016, 10:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetfall

Currently there is no way to see the names of sounds for the PlaySound command. Many are copied from CW3 so having that editor open helps, but for the PF-specific sounds we're a bit stuck.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Sorrontis

Will we be able to import our own sounds ? I don't plan to, but that would be cool for those that are more artistic.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

planetfall

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 23, 2016, 10:08:11 AM
Will we be able to import our own sounds ? I don't plan to, but that would be cool for those that are more artistic.

IIRC, the reason we couldn't in CW3 was a. it would bloat map file sizes and b. if someone submits a map with copyrighted sounds, it's legally thornier than someone submitting a map with copyrighted images.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Sorrontis

Quote from: planetfall on September 23, 2016, 10:12:00 AM

IIRC, the reason we couldn't in CW3 was a. it would bloat map file sizes and b. if someone submits a map with copyrighted sounds, it's legally thornier than someone submitting a map with copyrighted images.

a) good point.
b) holy jumpers, massively important point.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

knucracker

Yeah, a sound preview is yet another thing on the post release list.  Right now the only way for most of the sounds is to have CW3 :/ 
That, or write a prpl script and make a map that plays them (strange but I guess it would work).

planetfall

Quote from: virgilw on September 23, 2016, 10:30:35 AM
Yeah, a sound preview is yet another thing on the post release list.  Right now the only way for most of the sounds is to have CW3 :/ 
That, or write a prpl script and make a map that plays them (strange but I guess it would work).
As a stopgap, can you post a list of the names of sound effects from PF proper (e.g. cannon shots etc?) Assuming they've been exposed to PRPL.

Karsten75

Quote from: planetfall on September 23, 2016, 10:12:00 AM

Not now, not ever. The difference between a sound file and a music file with DRM issues are just too hard to tell.

knucracker

Quote from: planetfall on September 23, 2016, 10:35:07 AM
Quote from: virgilw on September 23, 2016, 10:30:35 AM
As a stopgap, can you post a list of the names of sound effects from PF proper (e.g. cannon shots etc?) Assuming they've been exposed to PRPL.

There are a whopping two internal sounds that are presently exposed:
"JumpIn"
"JumpOut"

The rest I have to go through and pull their names and add them to a Dictionary.

The stock sounds should all be there:
Explosion0-11
Weapons0-33
Misc0-35
Retro0-26