Creeper world traning sim map pack?

Started by F0R, July 13, 2010, 01:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F0R

Could be add a training sim map pack from CW custom maps. I think this would encourage more people to come and play CW.

Echo51

Add maps from custom maps into the training sim, or the maps from the training sim to the game?
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

F0R

mthw2vc

There is someone who copied the terrain and emitters and posted it on the forums before, but they made several mistakes, including a missing totem in "Action" and leaving the collectors as part of the background in "Tutorial"...
See here.
Next time use the search button!
(Feel free to correct the mistakes and revert then to the correct normal background. I think the rift exits were also misplaced in that pack, so be sure to check.)

Sqaz

Quote from: mthw2vc on July 13, 2010, 12:56:59 PM
There is someone who copied the terrain and emitters and posted it on the forums before, but they made several mistakes, including a missing totem in "Action" and leaving the collectors as part of the background in "Tutorial"...
See here.
Next time use the search button!
(Feel free to correct the mistakes and revert then to the correct normal background. I think the rift exits were also misplaced in that pack, so be sure to check.)

No, I think he means adding some custom maps to the training simulator, however I don't know how that would help selling CW as if you don't want to buy it after the original Training levels I don't think you'll buy it at all.

Karsten75

I've been thinking that perhaps adding a few levels to the training sim (perhaps they are unlocked after the final mission is completed?) might generate extra interest in CW on the major Flash gaming sites.

But I realize that this is additional work and that Virgil is one person (that, unfortunately needs sleep!) and the return is uncertain.

F0R

Count how many people post in the fourms. The answer is not many adding custom maps to it would encourage more people to buy the game. In turn making more money to develop CW2. And how hard can it be do a custom map sim. But i would not know.

Karsten75

Quote from: F0R on July 13, 2010, 05:49:30 PM
Count how many people post in the fourms. The answer is not many adding custom maps to it would encourage more people to buy the game. In turn making more money to develop CW2. And how hard can it be do a custom map sim. But i would not know.

Therein lies the crux. You don't know (at the very least) the following: 1. You don't know how many more people would buy the game if they get more free levels to play, 2. You don't know how much work it is to recode the training sim. 3. You don't know how much work it is to get to upload it to all the sites it has been uploaded to before. 4. You don't know that that is a cost-effective way for Virgil to spend his time.

OTOH, Virgil has written several games and has some feel for what works and what doesn't work.

Both of us can make suggestions, but most times when we do, it is more like the droning of flies around Virgil's head than constructive suggestions.

knucracker

So I've considered doing this... and right now the plan is to do something very similar to this suggestion.  But I plan to do it around the same time that game 2 becomes available.  The general rule in force with sales is that eyeballs equals sales.  The ratio of eyeballs to sales depends on the multinational mix, but in general I can make good predictions about what sales I will get based on what traffic I receive.

Something like "Creeper World: User Space" that includes around 15 of the more interesting custom maps and released across portals would be good for the portals, good for free players, and would also drive traffic to my site.  And if there happen to be two things for sale at my site, then I don't have to worry as much about whether there will be a return on investment for doing CW:US.

Karsten75

Now the mystery is on: Which 15 maps will make it into the expanded demo?  :)

Echo51

I'd say some pretty scenario/easy maps, 1 or 2 spiffens, some medium, some hard, maybe a single expert ;)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

SPIFFEN

If he uses some of the maps that i made , he can change them if he wants to make the work different than i made them =)
It's an honour if he uses an SPIFFEN map =D
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links