Creeper World In Linux

Started by Hodge, September 01, 2009, 01:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodge

For anyone who's interested, thought I'd mention that Creeper World works perfectly in Linux using Adobe's AIR runtime:

Fullscreen works, task switching works, the only slight problem is a bit of slowdown on later levels when things get busy.

So if any Linux users out there are holding out on buying the game, now you have no excuse :D

5ulo

How?? Just tell me how you did it... i have adobe air on Ubuntu.. but i don't know, how can i put creeper world in it...

jarbinks

Hi !

You don't need the Linux version of Adobe AIR, you only need Wine installed ...
With Wine you execute the installer and all goes right, Creeper World and Adobe AIR get automatically installed.

DanTheGoodMan

Really? I have wine and the Linux Air installed and they both failed for me. I eventually got it to run by downloading the Air SDK and using the debugger to run it from there. I seemed a little slow though, compared to my windows install, so I'm not sure if that's Linux and Adobe's flash support (*grumble grumble*) or if the ADL is that slow.

Would it be terribly difficult to support Linux? I love the game, but I don't like having to boot over just to play CW.

knucracker

Since my resources are so limited I had to opt to not officially support linux.  If I did I'd get a stream of email from people who just installed ubuntu and couldn't figure out what to do next :)  AIR on linux is also sorta hit and miss depending on your video driver and flavor of linux.

Don't get me wrong, I run my website off of a custom linux I setup myself and use it elsewhere (along with my dev windows machine and mac mini).

My best advice is to take the windows exe and open it up (it is a self extracting executable zip file).  Inside you will find the CreeperWorld.air file.  If you have air installed on linux already you should be able to install the creeperworld.air file.  Some people get it to work, others can't for some reason.

DanTheGoodMan

QuoteSince my resources are so limited I had to opt to not officially support linux.  If I did I'd get a stream of email from people who just installed ubuntu and couldn't figure out what to do next :)  AIR on linux is also sorta hit and miss depending on your video driver and flavor of linux.
Ah yes. Good point and good reasoning.

QuoteMy best advice is to take the windows exe and open it up (it is a self extracting executable zip file).  Inside you will find the CreeperWorld.air file.  If you have air installed on linux already you should be able to install the creeperworld.air file.  Some people get it to work, others can't for some reason.
:o
... of all the things I didn't try ...
*facepalm*

jarbinks

Great !

I tried searching the .air file in the first place but didn't find it in the install directory ... but since it's a self-extractible archive, I searched in the c:\windows\temp\rarsfx0 directory of my Wine while the install program was running and found the .air file.

I installed it through the Linux version of Adobe AIR and it worked :)

Thanks !

DanTheGoodMan

Nice!

Also, the *nix utility unzip can grab the files out of the .exe, so wine isn't needed either.

Theoretically, most any archive utility should be able to grab the files out of it, so no need to drop down to the command line if you don't want to. You may just need to rename it to a .zip

Hodge

Gah! Sorry for the late reply on this everyone... been a while since I checked in here.

Like DanTheGoodMan I'm using ADL to run it. I can't remember if I used wine to set it up or just unzipped the files. Probably the best bet is to install it on a Windows machine (or in wine) then copy the files over to your Linux partition.

Then, if you have the Adobe AIR SDK, installed, you can run the application.xml file with adl. Here's my (ridiculously long) command line - my AIR SDK is installed in /opt/adobeair and I've got the Creeper World files in /usr/local/share/games/creeperworld.

/opt/adobeair/bin/adl /usr/local/share/games/creeperworld/META-INF/AIR/application.xml /usr/local/share/games/creeperworld/

That's really annoying to type in every time, so I put it in a shell script and called it creeperworld + made a desktop icon to point to the script.

Works flawlessly for me, but your mileage may vary. As Virgil said, the Adobe stuff is really inconsistent on Linux, and to be honest I don't blame him for not supporting it (the Linux version of VVVVVV has just been canned because the Adobe stuff doesn't work properly).

RaiddinnRZ

I really wanted to get this to work with no hassle in Ubuntu and I was able to once I searched up this guy's page

http://justindailey.blogspot.com/

Following that process it is as simple as

1)  DLing a .deb AIR installer from Adobe website
2)  double clicking that
3)  putting the creeper world EXE on the desktop
4)  double clicking that
5)  finding the AIR file on the desktop
6)  double clicking that

and thats it. 

I just had to delete the rest of the files that the exe put on my desktop and that was it.

Don't need to use Wine for anything with this process and it is probably as painless of a way to load creeper world on ubuntu as there can be.

I am sorry to bump this old thread, but it is the first thing I search up every time I try to do this (this is the 2nd time now) and if its like that for me it might be the first thing others come across when trying to do the same thing too.

RaiddinnRZ

sebvett

I just right-clicked the exe, selected extract here, opened the folder and double clicked the air. I am using a version of air modified for 64-bit Ubuntu. Have not noticed any lag at all and it runs just like a native game. Perfect.I just right-clicked the exe, selected extract here, opened the folder and double clicked the air. I am using a version of air modified for 64-bit Ubuntu. Have not noticed any lag at all and it runs just like a native game. Perfect.

Echo51

Just a friendly note, Search before you post, and try to not revive old threads ;)
also, regarding how to install, there is a CW2 guide in the Support forum, which is the excact same procedure, just open the CW1 .exe as you already did ;)

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=6877.0
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

thepenguin

Quote from: Echo51 on July 23, 2011, 05:55:10 AM
Just a friendly note, Search before you post, and try to not revive old threads ;)

so I'm not the only one to get the irony :)
We have become the creeper...