Pyxis walkthru with images

Started by Karsten75, January 01, 2010, 11:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

In response to a recent thread, here are screenshots of certain stages of my Pyxis battle.

I give permission for the images to be used in the Wiki with attribution to my screen name. I changed the capture method to .jpg since it seems to be more efficient than .png and will work in the wiki.

Phase 1:

Start by building two lines of connectors to reach the upgrades. As Virgil the Wise™ once said, energy management is of the ultimate importance in Creeper World. it is of no use to have weapons that cannot fire because of energy starvation.

Phase 2:

With the upgrades safely applied, complete your connectors to form a ring. Also start construction of two mortars on the outer edges in case the creeper is faster than anticipated. Near your base where it will be best defended, start building a reactor farm and a drone farm. Do not overbuild!

Phase 3:

With the first two drones operational, start your bombing runs directly at the emitters. Increase your reactor farm and drone farm modestly and start adding a few other assault weapons for later use. You will have to climb those terraces!

Phase 4:

With strong drone and reactor farms, add speed and storage units and start your assault on the first terrace level. Here I had some finger troubles and had to redo this a few times because creeper waves kept overwhelming my collector chain. Remember to use the Pause button ("P"-key) to assist in unit placement and move orders!

Phase 5:

Once you have blasters in range of the pools, you can easily control whatever the Drones are not destroying.

Phase 6:

Start the assault onthe outlying emitters.

Phase 7:

With a blaster controlling each of the outlying emitters, concentrate all Drone firepower and an assault of land-based weapons on the three emitters in the center.

Phase 8:

With blasters in range of the central three emitters, the battle is won.

Phase 9:

Connect the totems to transport out.

Phase 10:

Victory screen.

djcian

cool.  i pushed forward really fast to get morters firing on the little creeper lakes.  also try not to put to many pictures in one post or at least have a link to them somewhere else or something like that.
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

hapes

Interesting strategy.  I just did this one with a similar starting strategy:  Collectors out to get the upgrades, then circle around.  Drones to keep the Creeper at bay and 3 blasters to pick up the slack until I could build a crapload of reactors, then I built about 15 blasters, walked them up the cliffs, capped the outer emitters, controlled (didn't cap) the central ones until I could activate the totems.

Joykill

I did the same as djcian... Allthough It's been a while, underneath is the general outline of my take on the map

in short:
1) collector lines to upgrades
2) collector lines to 2 mortars able to fire at the lakes
3) collector line to another mortar firing at central creep (should still be contained by wall, nearly breached tough) followed be a second mortar to shoot center asap
4) build blasters, 2 to help containing center (walls broke down by now) if needed, 3 to cap side emitters, switch mortars firing at the lake to firing at the middle when their emitter is capped
5) link up totems

Keep expanding the collector netwerk as much as you can, I had 2 lowest terraces covered in green, and surely dont forget speed boosters either...

I didnt really build any reactors, saw no real use for them... also it could be I i forgot something in the above steps, its the raw outline of my game after all

username

THIS, guys
it's easy as hell, and yes - it works
forgot you can fly the stupid fortress?

Karsten75

Lulz, and if the barrier breaks down? Post the winning pic also?  :)

I'll be sure to try it.

Karsten75

Young

This is a strat for good time. You might find it easier actually.

Get the sides first, before it hits the end slowly move up get ready for blasters and deploy them as necessary when they get up.

Aurzel

my fave is young's one, i'm not a fan of moving the city to get what i'd consider an unfair advantage in username's screenies i'd consider that an unfair advantage but that's just my opinion

Karsten75

Quote from: Young on January 03, 2010, 01:12:17 AM
This is a strat for good time. You might find it easier actually.

Nice. I tried it and it works a charm. Thanks!

RG

The real trick is trying to beat it on 2X mode ;)

It took forever to figure out but eventually I got it.

Now the only story level I need to beat on 2X is Ix, does anyone have any good strategies for that one?

kenyte

Quote from: RG on January 03, 2010, 11:09:46 PM
The real trick is trying to beat it on 2X mode ;)

It took forever to figure out but eventually I got it.

Now the only story level I need to beat on 2X is Ix, does anyone have any good strategies for that one?

How did you did pyxis in 2x?, i have not been able to do it any help would be great!

mthw2vc

Really? I found DD Pyxis to be the easiest of the last 5 maps on DD.
Try .

kenyte