stewbasic's maps

Started by stewbasic, October 26, 2013, 10:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewbasic

=== Platformer ===
EDIT: Level is now ready to play.
* 2D sidescrolling platformer gameplay in the style of N (http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/)
* Collect powerups: blaster, walljump, nullifier and shield.
* Contend with emitters as well as custom enemies: floating mines and the formidable creeper laser.
Credits: The bomb script is directly from Virgil's credits level (and other scripts from there were helpful to look at). Character sprite was drawn by my lovely wife.

TLMike

It's inventive, I will say that.

I don't know if I'm in love with the movement controls, as I feel like there's too much drift. But there's definitely promise here. Keep going.

stewbasic

Thanks for the feedback Mike. To reduce the drift a bit I increased friction on the ground and boost gravity when the player releases the jump key in the air (yes, very artificial, but it feels easier to control).

TLMike

That's good news (for me at least). I look forward to a series a of delightful platformer maps. Even if you keep the ridiculously childish stick figure guy.

teknotiss

i love the concept, but i found it impossible to get up the long jump on the right after getting the wall jump tech. i think my keyboards response times are too slow, but still great work.
nice unit art too, sort of metroidish, but different, ahh the old days of 16bit gaming power! :D
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

TLMike

I can't figure out how to reach the nullifier tech. I know that the Creeper slows you down, and I tried to use that to my advantage in jumping up there. But there's simply no way. And I made it to the tall room to the left with 3 Emitters in it, but I can't jump up the wall because Creeper impedes the wall jumping.

I tell a lie. I figured it out. But I wish two things: PZ's did something. And the Emitter area which looks like a Sideways T had some sort of platform which made jumping easier.

TLMike

UPDATE: I made it to the final room. I can't seem to nullify the emitter there because it pumps out creeper too fast, and the purple guy keeps liking to shoot me. Even with a shield, I'm at a loss for something to do.

pawel345

Ok, I have no idea how to jump up the |- like thing after the wall jump skill. I opened the ridge up there but can't jump up ==' Is there a trick to it or it's just my skills are too low?

TLMike

I think we're gonna have to use small, sectioned screen shots.

TLMike

Quote from: pawel345 on November 11, 2013, 07:39:30 AM
Ok, I have no idea how to jump up the |- like thing after the wall jump skill. I opened the ridge up there but can't jump up ==' Is there a trick to it or it's just my skills are too low?

Are you referring to this area? I found it pretty hard to jump up there.
If you refer to the T shaped area on the left you:
Spoiler
should place yourself in the opening in the wall, run to the right and jump up at the very edge, quickly change directions in mid-air, and wall jump your way upward. I won't pretend it's easy.
[close]
If you refer to the area with the Nullifier tech, you:
Spoiler
should be aware that Stew's jumping script has a small exploit, in that you can jump directly into angle/beveled edges of terrain and use the angle to jump very high. Begin at the lower right edge of the screenie and run to the right, jump upward and try to land near the top of the angle, then jump again instantly to propel yourself into the gap with the Nullifier tech inside.
[close]

Of course, if you want some other adivce, I'd be glad to help.

pawel345

Yuup that's the area, i tried doing this a few times but it seems too hard for me XD well will try another time :P

stewbasic

I'll fiddle the sideways T part to make the jump a bit easier (btw how did you reach the second button in the top left area? The method I had in mind is also a difficult jump). I want to keep the pre-nullifer bit as is because
Spoiler
using ramps to boost jumps
[close]
is an intended game mechanic (maybe I can try to make it easier to pull off without changing the idea).

Speaking of which, am I the only one who has played N?

Mike, did you manage to destroy the last emitter? It's difficult but possible at the moment. I could reduce the emitter strength if it's too frustrating.

TLMike

I figured that the info in your spoiler was intended. Well, an accident that you decided to use to your advantage, maybe. Still....

And, no I haven't managed to nullify that emitter. And it's really frustrating. i even
Spoiler
found my way up into the upper room and managed to leave the AC flood gates open, and I let the room below flood with AC (my game is going on 4 hours now, thanks to 4x time). Even with the room filled with AC, the emitter generates too quickly in tandem with the blaster to be able to nullify the thing.
[close]

Lemme know what you decide to do about it.

Lost in Nowhere

I've played N+, which is essentially the sequel to it...
On this, I got stuck on the part with the nullfier.
Don't die! :)

stewbasic

OK, I made a few slight tweaks to the more difficult parts.
* Reduced friction and increased max horizontal speed to make aforementioned mechanic (in spoiler) easier.
* Walljumping is easier with increased vertical and decreased horizontal velocity.
* Extended the ledge at the sideways T.
* Decreased fire rate of final emitter and laser.

Note that you still need a strategy for the final emitter. Here's a hint (there may be other ways too).
Spoiler

If you stand on the nullifier, the laser will destroy it even with a shield. So jump just before the laser fires, and it will aim at you and miss the nullifier, while your shield protects it.
[close]