Possible Strategies in CW3

Started by pawel345, July 02, 2013, 03:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawel345

While it is a bit too early to discuss strategies, it is a bit hard not to think them up while watching all those beta videos. So i through to talk about some while waiting for the game to test them.

We have alredy seen the stratgy involving freeze and a gumpy raid to take down a single emiter.

My idea is that it should be possible to do something like that using a shield and a terp, and something to clear the ground first so either quite a lot of mortars, strafes, bombers or a Bertha. With Bertha the plan would be to first fly with the terp and shield and a gumpy if it was outside a anti-air zone and fire the Bertha at the exact time the shield lands. then proceed to terraform the land around to a few levels higher and then build a nullifier.  The terraform in not always necessary however would usually buy more time/make things easier. A similar tactic was successfully used by By virgil on The March map buy there he had the terrain already cooperative. 

Kingo

As Lich98 showed us in his videos, using a guppy belonging to an isolated command node to help relieve deficit is a very interesting strategy...

billybob

Or using a command node to supply power to an anti air zone that can't be accessed by land lines.
Dating is one thing. Being loved is another. Problem is, you can never be sure if you're loved.

Unless it's your Mom...

Anyone wish CW was real?

lich98

Quote from: billybob on July 05, 2013, 11:40:54 PM
Or using a command node to supply power to an anti air zone that can't be accessed by land lines.

Then bringing in guppies when the Anti Air Towers go down
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Cavemaniac

Guppies rock.

They can be used as an informal energy store - which you can then locate closer to the front-line units for a shortened supply route.

They can carry a whole invasion on their own, or just establish a bridgehead.

They can power a remote Terp clearing the landing site for a CN or other units.

They can be sent to 'collect' Artifacts of Odin as well as.... Ooops. Nearly gave the game away!

Guppies are the unsung hero of CW3, like the Duce and a Half of WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_CCKW

Why 'Guppy'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_Spacelines_Pregnant_Guppy

And that's just one CW3 unit - think of the possibilities of combining the unique abilities of all the units, on an infinite variety of maps!!

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

pawel345

I wonder is it still possible to use a mortar and fly it into dense creeper landing just long enough to fire? to revile pressure from the back? or is it simply useless as the relative strength of a mortar is weaker then in CW1?

Kingo

Quote from: pawel345 on July 06, 2013, 09:21:11 AM
I wonder is it still possible to use a mortar and fly it into dense creeper landing just long enough to fire? to revile pressure from the back? or is it simply useless as the relative strength of a mortar is weaker then in CW1?

It is possible to send mortars on a suicide run, but due to the larger size of the maps (and the increased emitter strength to compensate) it may not work as often.

Grauniad

Quote from: pawel345 on July 06, 2013, 09:21:11 AM

In specific situations this is a viable strategy.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

ShadowDragon7015

I know the suicide runs still work if you are trying to clear a beachhead for guppies to come in and resupply the suicide runners.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

Mr.H

Suicide runs on a power zone are incredulously effective, I think I remember seeing that in one of the blog videos.
Capping emitters still appears to be a viable strategy.
Bertha Overbuild also seems to be a new strategy, just have a whole array of those fellows covering you and it quickly weakens the enemy.
Anti-creeper beachheads also appear to be an effective strategy to gain ground.
I haven't seen shields used much, I suppose they could be used for funneling creeper, gaining beachheads and for a more effective defense.
Terping a 10 tall wall around your base also seems to be a strategy.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

pawel345

I was thinking more along the lines of terping a small plateau in the middle of creeper to place relays in case a lot of the map has a.e towers, instead of normal frontal assault, rushing to the towers and the emitters without clearing the creeper between your base and the emitter. So using terraforming for "offence" instead of only defense.

Batstar

Terraforming is going to open up a HUGE new range of strategies.  Being able to create pits to slow creeper down and funnel it your own way is going to make a huge difference in what you can do and can't do as far as strategies go.  Before you were limited to whatever the map decided to screw you with.... now thats not such a huge limitation on the player.  Between TERPs and Guppies this games strategy elements just got a LOT more complex and a million times more amazing in the process.

Ronini

Before you get carried away on terraforming fantasies, remember that you need to clear the creeper before you can terraform the terrain beneath. I like that though every unit is extremely powerful, they all come with significant drawbacks, too.

pawel345

Yes but if you shoot an area with Bertha it instantly opens a spot in creeper if you land a shield and star terraforming the exact moment the Bertha shell hits is seems possible to terraform the land a few layers, possibly enough for the shield to block the creeper form overflowing.

Grauniad

Quote from: pawel345 on July 08, 2013, 12:32:24 PM
Yes but if you shoot an area with Bertha it instantly opens a spot in creeper if you land a shield and star terraforming the exact moment the Bertha shell hits is seems possible to terraform the land a few layers, possibly enough for the shield to block the creeper form overflowing.

I'm sure we'd all like to see the video.... :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon