Custom Map #802: The Trenches. By: Klifinpol

Started by AutoPost, February 18, 2021, 06:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #802: The Trenches

Author: Klifinpol
Size: 512x128

CyberDyneSystems

This was a very well balanced map. tough from the get go, even with all the available resources, the pay balance always kept me working.
That is up until the last big push, that's where it went from balanced to ballbuster!

I had to "quit" and walk away from this map,.. TWICE!

I can't even understand how it stayed so difficult as I chipped away at the last line up. That deep valley with the three towers of rock, and the two emitters in the niches,. that was devilishly hard to work into. By this point I;'ve got shedloads of both air support, and I had near 100 orbitals..

I had squadrons of air support chipping away the whole time, and I noticed even though they seemed to have little impact on the amount of creep, that the left hand side was offering a little less less resistance, so that's the route I took. I failed at it a few times and quit in dispair the first time.

What was amazing was that even after coming back to it and managing to take the the left most, all the way up to the back of the map, that reduction in creep output did not seem to tip any tide at all. I was still struggling to knock out the emitter down in the left niche. Then another battle for the center tower,.

...now I'd cut down the emitters to less than half what was there before the big push, and yet I was still in danger of losing the right hand side the whole time. And I did lose that front multiple times. and it made me quite again!

Kudos to those that did this in under an hour,. I was well above that time.
thanks for a challenging map, Nothing "Vanilla" about this one.

klifinpol

Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on February 20, 2021, 08:38:34 PM
This was a very well balanced map. tough from the get go, even with all the available resources, the pay balance always kept me working.
That is up until the last big push, that's where it went from balanced to ballbuster!

I had to "quit" and walk away from this map,.. TWICE!

I can't even understand how it stayed so difficult as I chipped away at the last line up. That deep valley with the three towers of rock, and the two emitters in the niches,. that was devilishly hard to work into. By this point I;'ve got shedloads of both air support, and I had near 100 orbitals..

I had squadrons of air support chipping away the whole time, and I noticed even though they seemed to have little impact on the amount of creep, that the left hand side was offering a little less less resistance, so that's the route I took. I failed at it a few times and quit in dispair the first time.

What was amazing was that even after coming back to it and managing to take the the left most, all the way up to the back of the map, that reduction in creep output did not seem to tip any tide at all. I was still struggling to knock out the emitter down in the left niche. Then another battle for the center tower,.

...now I'd cut down the emitters to less than half what was there before the big push, and yet I was still in danger of losing the right hand side the whole time. And I did lose that front multiple times. and it made me quite again!

Kudos to those that did this in under an hour,. I was well above that time.
thanks for a challenging map, Nothing "Vanilla" about this one.

Thank you for your Review!  It took me a heck a lot of time to make (tunining some stuff to make the pressure always be on), but seeing this review and that somone took an almost equal amount of effort into trying to beat the map, hats of to you! it makes my day!

If you enjoyied this map I am slowly working on another, gonna give it a theme and everything :)
not sure if i'm gonna make it less or as equally insane!

firefrog

How the **** do you beat that last trench? I've got a shedload of energy and AC income, about 50 orbitals left (down from ~ 130) and managed to secure the leftmost emitter. But due to the insane amount of creeper being pushed out by the other two big (and some smaller) emitters, creeper count is still at 240k and I can't manage to get it any lower. Any time I try to push, I get overrun, my right flank is always about to get flooded, and even 8 stacked shields are nothing this amount of creeper does care about.