Pass The Map 1 - Particle Fleet Edition!

Started by planetfall, July 14, 2017, 05:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetfall

G'day all! thought I'd resurrect Pass The Map. If you aren't familiar with PTM, go search Colonial Space for it! Community members came together to create maps for CW3. It was... beautiful... (stares into the smoking ruins on the horizon; a viscous blue tear rolls down planetfall's face and sizzles on the parched stony ground...) Uhh, where was I?!?

Some aspects of this rule scheme are... experimental. I've endeavored to change the rules slightly to fix some of the problems that the old PTM had, as well as to cover some of the differences between CW3 and PFE. That said... it's wholly possible I've over-engineered this system, and I'm not even an engineer. Hopefully this catches on, and we can hammer out any issues after a map or two.

Standard PTM Rules

1. To let everyone know that you are making a section of the map, post LOCKED in this thread. Pick a square and make something there! Feel free to delete the border (or not, if you're into that.) Once you have made your section, finalize the map, post UNLOCKED and attach the map to this thread.

2. Only one person may reserve the map at a time. However, if you take longer than 24 hours to create your section, you forfeit and someone else can lock the map.

3. You may not contribute more than two map sections. If you have already contributed once, you must wait until at least three others have contributed after you.
_3a. You may ignore rule 3 if nobody has locked the map in 3 days and you were not the last contributor.
_3b. You may ignore rule 3 if you are only updating a script or custom image (please specify this in your LOCKED post). This doesn't count as one of your two contributions.

4. There's a UID 0 core in the upper left if you need it. Don't delete it (even if you don't need it)!

5. We'll decide the general map settings (emergent, techs, etc.) and player fleet by group discussion once all the areas are built. You can tweak these while building your area to test them out, of course, but know that they'll be changed by the end.

6. Actually, let's let that apply to everything. Mechanics and map areas are far more intertwined in PFE than they were in CW3, so we'll likely have to do some judicious rebalancing. We'll almost certainly want a sub-3000 particle count, for instance. Again, best that this be done by consensus - don't be afraid to speak up for your part of the map if someone wants to make a ruinous change! (And don't get upset over a minor one.)

7. Once the final tweaks are done, EVERYONE who contributed an area must submit a score before we can upload the map. If someone can't do it, we need to make the map easier.

8. Since the thread creator gets to set the map-specific rules, let's rule out the same person starting the thread two maps in a row.

EDIT: Note about scripts and PTM

GM and I have noticed that some of our scripts aren't staying updated. As in, we post a map to the PTM thread after making a change to scripts, and the next person modifies the map and posts it with the old version of the scripts. This is an easy mistake to make. If you put the new map into the previous save folder, the scripts in that folder will be used instead of any script in the map with the same name. If you save, the script stored in the map gets overwritten. The solution is to either empty the old script folder before loading a new version of the map, or create a new folder each time.

Map-Specific rules:
-No ships with over 300 CM cost
-No totems
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Nicant

Yes! I'm glad this is back! :)

I will go first! LOCKED
I choose the Bottem-Left Corner of the map!
Also is custom ship modules allowed? I am not gonna add any in my square, but it just a good thing to bring up.
CW4 hype!!

planetfall

Quote from: Nicant on July 14, 2017, 06:55:49 PM
Also is custom ship modules allowed? I am not gonna add any in my square, but it just a good thing to bring up.

Sure, although things like adding another tool to the player's arsenal tend to "leak" between squares more than usual.
Another thing to keep in mind is that in the early PTMs there was a bit of jockeying to have the coolest CRPL. I was guilty of this once... As a result, there was a rule of no CRPL at all except emitters that drop rewards, which wasn't much fun. Hopefully we can achieve a balance.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Nicant

UNLOCKED
I have added 2 prpl scripts to the map. There are "Craters" on my square. When red mire touches them, they create a "Drill" unit on top of the crater. The drill will slowly build and then once built, it will start miring the land of the mire that originally touched it. The same works for blue mire too.
CW4 hype!!

GoodMorning

Locked.

Unlocked. I took the lower-right. Omni time for power. Hard to fit in a HQ-size ship, but safe enough.

Locked - Under Section 3b of the PTM OP, I hereby update some scripts and a cache.

Unlocked. Fixed, hopefully.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Keeper Decagon

I hereby declare it:

Until further notice. Whilst I do not have the PRPL magic, I can always weave in some of my own map design into this map. :P

Also, I'm taking top right.

EDIT: Question, does the 300 CM cost also apply to enemy ships? I'm not planning on introducing super-capitals however, so don't worry.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

planetfall

Quote from: Keeper Decagon on July 15, 2017, 05:52:07 AM
EDIT: Question, does the 300 CM cost also apply to enemy ships? I'm not planning on introducing super-capitals however, so don't worry.

I think I'll say yes here.
Giant hostiles introduce different problems than giant player ships, but can still be a problem.

Keeper Decagon

Gotcha. Cheers, Planetfall.

Alright, I have now finished my glorious contribution to this map and therefore declare it:

UNLOCKED

Have fun, whoever's next!
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

FOXX

Ok, my turn.

I go for the middle spot.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

FOXX

Fast Round :) -> I had this idea yesterday so i was a bit prepared.

I have added 2 Scripts to the Map, Both for the Middle Core.
One for the rotating Image and one for Proximity Range [Range = 35] when in Range, Emitter starts.
Also added 2 Custom Ship Pickups and 2 Omni Pickups near the Middle Core.

I was thinking of putting Flip Emitters in each Corner of my Part but this can be added later if the Map is to easy. [probably not :)]
The Image can be changed according to how the Maps turns out -> For now it's a Fidget Spinner.

Edit -> UNLOCKED
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

planetfall

planetfall

UNLOCKED

Who doesn't love an old-fashioned fortress assault? By "old-fashioned," I mean it has missile emplacements.

Fortunately, they are not impressively smart. There is a delay between lock-on and firing, and they aren't particularly accurate, so you can usually dodge. However, if they do score a direct hit, they'll do significant damage.

There is also a friendly missile turret, although its internal reactor is missing.

Please note: although a targeting system can discern between friend and foe, antineutronium explosives cannot.

cpaca

I'm taking the middle-right side! 
Great, a perfect time to use my thing...
To use [OUR] Custom Modules, go to Forums/Knuckle Cracker/PFE/Map Makers, Ship Builders, and Coders, Go to the pinned posts, find the one named "Custom Modules Thread", Open it, Scroll down until you find ShipModule, Apply that into your map, do not apply it into map if one copy already exists, Apply the Adder script (Sometimes named "Master.prpl, sometimes [shipname]Adder, etc.) and the actual used scripts [which i will state in my posts]. If one copy already exists, do not apply another copy. -The CMC :-)

cpaca

I have finished, and therefore, declare the map
UNLOCKED 
Question: Am I allowed to make a PRPL blaster that can shoot stuff [similar to the spores in CW3] that can land in other squares [and, therefore, change the land by adding particles in other squares]? If so, tell me. If not, ):. 
Ok, gonna fix the misunderstanding that could happen. 
>[and, therefore, change in the land in other squares] 
Change:
>[and, therefore, change the land by adding particles in other squares]
To use [OUR] Custom Modules, go to Forums/Knuckle Cracker/PFE/Map Makers, Ship Builders, and Coders, Go to the pinned posts, find the one named "Custom Modules Thread", Open it, Scroll down until you find ShipModule, Apply that into your map, do not apply it into map if one copy already exists, Apply the Adder script (Sometimes named "Master.prpl, sometimes [shipname]Adder, etc.) and the actual used scripts [which i will state in my posts]. If one copy already exists, do not apply another copy. -The CMC :-)

planetfall

Quote from: cpaca on July 15, 2017, 07:52:36 PM
Question: Am I allowed to make a PRPL blaster that can shoot stuff [similar to the spores in CW3] that can land in other squares [and, therefore, change the land by adding particles in other squares]? If so, tell me. If not, ):.

I think this could be allowed, although if it can hit anywhere on the map it might be a problem.
There's no rule against it, it just has the potential to be unbalanced (more so than other things).

Very quick lock to fix a script (Thanks GM)
Unlocked