Sorrontis' Inane Ramblings & Shower Thoughts

Started by Sorrontis, September 15, 2016, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorrontis

I'm going to start all this by saying the following:

Virgil and the KC crew... Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for making this! I had high expectations, and oh boy, did you not disappoint. CW3 was in my top 5 favorite games of all time, and this is definitely a contender for top 3. So, again, thank you, you guys are awesome!

Now, to the meat.

One thing I've notice from the KC games is that the learning curve is on point. This doesn't stray from your formula. So +1.

The controls are intuitive for any CW3 player. It took me less than a minute to get into the groove. So another +1.

Maybe it's because I jumped straight into the missions (didn't look at map or ship building), but I couldn't figure which ship required the least/most energy to build, except by eye-balling it. Same thing with weapon energy usage.

The game doesn't run on my work computer which is an old XP rig... -1 ... j/k.. really, j/k. I'd get fired if it'd worked.

After playing the first 8 maps. Oh oh oh oh... I've got soooo many ideas for new maps. You've got my imagination peaked. I'll be draining days and days into this game for sure.

As for which unit is best for what? Umm.. I use a brute force method on all my maps. Maybe I'll come back to other maps and play "smart," but I doubt I'll beat my times.

So, I'll be posting all my thoughts here from now on. People can listen to me, or not. What's the next post? Probably a look at ship building.

Edit!
I present.... dum dum dam... The Needle. The weapon of choice for stuffing a lathe inside of nest!
Spoiler
[close]
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

SuperTerminator

Hear hear! If I could I'd buy virgil a round of drinks, but alas :(.

I recommend you try to "kite" clusters of particles and use both lathes to snipe units, maybe with an extra support ship or two (plus tanker!) to prolong their lifespan. Note: Do not try this with massive groups of particles unless you wanna waste energy or are entirely freaking awesome.

P.S.
Spoiler
*piqued bro ;)
[close]

I tried making CW3 custom maps once upon a time. I kinda failed. My maps were too large/stupidly long/stupidly easy. I think I only ever made one really good map, and its not for people who hate spores. I mean it'd be good shock therapy xD

Sorrontis

Nah man, it's peaked. I've reached enlightenment because of PF. (Thanks for correcting me)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

GoodMorning

The only issue I have had (in about two hours play, so give it time) is that I automatically reach for Shift for multi-select, and Ctrl for waypoints. Else, all is well. (Camera jump-to-ship helps, I hope it can be used to select without jumping, or jump while selected, for long movements into a confined space.) I'd like to see a modifier key to allow zoom-with-selected-ship (Ctrl?), but that's just preference.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

jaworeq

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 15, 2016, 01:10:47 AM
The only issue I have had (in about two hours play, so give it time) is that I automatically reach for Shift for multi-select, and Ctrl for waypoints. Else, all is well. (Camera jump-to-ship helps, I hope it can be used to select without jumping, or jump while selected, for long movements into a confined space.) I'd like to see a modifier key to allow zoom-with-selected-ship (Ctrl?), but that's just preference.

You can swap keybindings for shift/ctrl in configuration. When you have selected a ship, you can still zoom with keyboard keys (I think Q/E default).

GoodMorning

I've learned to live with it, and will only confuse myself again with reminding. E is the key for slide-move, although that might make it good choice for the zoom modifier, as slide-moving precludes the idea that the wheel movement is attempting ship rotation.

Sorrontis

On the second day of Particles, my turtle gave to me,
2 Ideas for Ship Editor,
and 1 Idea for Map Editorrrrrrr!

Alright, Ship editor is pretty cool. Although, I looked for a grid button, I don't have a grid button :(
Second, I would love to be able to rotate modules like the command center, the engines and the fighter base.

As for the map editor, I was trying my new ships out, but I can't find a way to just place a ship. I have to build it. And when it comes to Titans, that takes a long time. Also, for my first map, I'd like to have a partial fleet for the players to start with and lose very quickly. You know I'm evil.

GoodMorning

Grid: Seconded.

Rotation: Likely painful, but possibly worth it.

Building: Hold B and place. (Or possibly Shift-B).

Sorrontis

GoodMorning

On the topic of inane ramblings...

The PF review has brought home to me two three things.

1) How much busier this forum must be in the aftermath of a game release. I haven't been here long enough to see more than the trickle of maps and their discussion, which has seemed constant, often with update intervals in days. Now it is unusual to see more than a half-hour elapse without some preview section being discussed.

2) The fact that everyone else here has a complete existence, of which only shadows can be seen from where I sit. Specifically, seeing the credit to planetfall which cited a full name caused this. Beforehand, I effectively interacted with text-based shadows of you, with the occasional deeper glimpse provided by mapmaking. That is still true, but I am now conscious of it, and of the effect that the shadows of other people's realities interacting with our own can have. I also consider the forum names in a different light.

3) How little I apply self-limitation. While I know (and have checked) that I can drop all thoughts of electronic communication for at least a reasonable period, I also have noticed that I do not seem to actually do this.

Yes... definitely ramblings. Back to something interesting, if not yet productive. No, a better plan: sleep, then finish Inception tomorrow. Then the exchange comes out to play...

Sorrontis

I'll be unveiling my sub-Titan class ship "Shelley" and my Titan class ship "Embargo" tonight! They'll be part of my first map to be released hopefully this weekend!

Sorrontis

I am proud to unveil the Embargo Titan Class Vessel.

A demonstration of its power!

Sorrontis

I am proud to unveil the Shelley Sub-Titan Class Vessel.

A demonstration of its power! And it's energy consumption.

Cavemaniac

Woah!

The Embargo rocks my world!

I particularally liked the 'box in the emitter' function!!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Cavemaniac on September 16, 2016, 09:17:13 PM

Woah!

The Embargo rocks my world!

I particularally liked the 'box in the emitter' function!!

Thanks! I particularly proud of it.