Custom Map #1605: PACland. By: J

Started by AutoPost, January 14, 2015, 04:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1605: PACland

Author: J
Size: 128x84

Desc:
My first #PlayAsCreeper map! This doesn't mean it's a standard #PAC map though. Spores take longer to recharge, but have more health. You can easily seperate all of Abraxis bases. Burst mode is not what you think. Have fun! (created using the PAC template found on the KC forums)

Loren Pechtel

And what are we supposed to do here?  The initial crater is ringed by enough firepower to keep the creeper contained.  Burst mode appears to be like the spore fire inhibit, I see nothing for it to accomplish.

stdout

My thoughts exactly. I'm sitting at 18 minutes in game and still haven't captured that totem.

stdout

Ok,
Spoiler
build up enough digitalis, then delete the digitalis and all the creeper that was built up will spill out. That got me to the totem.
[close]

J

Digi-growth 'costs' you 1 creeper to build (which is given back when you remove it) and once the digi has grown there it decreases the terrain level with 1.
Spoiler
By removing digi you can 'raise' the creeper level by 2. Try to remove some digitalis near the totem, that should give you enough creeper to place digi on it.
[close]

(and I forgot the #Jmaps tag =/ )

Stave

Interesting start. I've never had to use the void-spreading strategy on regular old land before, so that was a neat fun twist to figure out. I found the alternate burst mode to make my emitters weaker, so I really didn't like that part. Keep it up!

J

I basically inverted normal and burst mode. Burst mode usually has a longer interval and more creeper per burst. If you have an emitter supported here burst mode emits faster while normal mode emits more creeper per burst. This effect is made stronger by doubling the initial interval and amount.

UrMawMah

Totally awesome map, that starting was dirty in the best of ways!

Hubs

I wasn't a fan of the start, but I enjoyed the rest of the map. The lack of scores posted is indivative that the start was too difficult/impossible for most players. The balance on the rest of the map was hard, but done well.

D0m0nik

This is the most frustrating start to any map I have ever played, nice idea but not really very enjoyable. I am using the deleting digitalis strategy but the creeper just doesn't advance fast enough to take the totem, I am going crazy!!

I managed to lay some digitalis on the totem but the top blaster will not let it get hold of the totem, ahhhhh!

J

Did another run and make it into the top 5. Here's a screenshot at 3 minutes (mouse is over the totem):

D0m0nik

Finally got it, phew, what a challenge!

Linden

I can't get at the totem, even with deleting Digi. Not a negative criticism, J, just a sad reflection of my own skills. :D

Xeos

It took a while to get the totem and I got very frustrated by it :( I can see what you tried to do there but it was a tad too difficult and probably meant that some players dropped out the map and gave up.. But as I found, it's all a learning curve and you will go on and make better maps because of it so good luck :)
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Linden

Did you successful ones use the large Digi brush, or a small one? I use the max size brush - is that my problem?