Main Menu

CW1: Lag

Started by Kingo, May 29, 2013, 09:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingo

Hey all,
Recently while testing my custom maps, i've been experiencing horrible lag.
I do recall V saying somewhere that lag can be caused by unconnected buildings, but I have rarely any, if few, unconnected buildings or structures in my maps.
I'm not sure what is causing this. I can play other custom maps fine. First the map is playable, but then as the game progresses it gets laggier.

kalafin

CW1, adobe air has a new download if that's what you mean?

CobraKill

Post one of the maps. It could be an Adobe Air issue. What's your computer specs?
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Kingo

It's a windows 7 laptop, I am certain it meets all the requirements.
My most recent maps (the earthquake, strange matters, the artifact, the supercollider) have had the issue.

CobraKill

I don't have my laptop around right now to test it, but by the looks of it, the map has a lot going on. I'll edit when I get to test it.

Also, do you know what kind of CPU your laptop has? Amount of RAM? etc. If it has a weak CPU and your playing an intensive map, it could explain it. If you don't know how to find it, open up the control panel and click System Performance and Information. It should be your "Windows Experience Index" and have some ratings of your system. Click below that on Print and View Detailed Performance and System Information. Find the model of CPU (i.e. Intel Core i3 2350M) the amount of RAM and the GPU, if there is one.

It's not just the requirements, some maps will push beyond what the base minimum is.

Grauniad

One of the things that affect the performance of a computer over time is dust. Dust build-up on the components affect the cooling and most modern computers will then throttle back to avoid damage to the CPU and other components.

I once managed to drop my laptop's core temps by 20C after spending half a day following instructions on the manufacturer's website to open it up to where I could access the inside and then using compressed air to blow the airways open in the reverse direction of the usual airflow path.

Desktops I clean every 6 months or so and you'd be surprised. Make sure you carry it outside, you don't want to release that much dust inside your home.

On a more mundane note, to share your laptop's capabilities, right-click on "My Computer", choose Properties and then use Snipping Tool, to copy the System part of the resulting page. Here is mine for this desktop:

For more detailed information on the graphics capability, use the link on the System portion to open the WIndows Experience Index and post that so we can evaluate the graphics capability.  Like this:

For more detailed information, you can install a tool such as Speccy from Piriform to give you more detailed information.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

CobraKill

Grauniad is right, dust can be a problem for a computer. If can cause the internals to not get an adequate amount of cool air. My laptop would overheat and seize up before I cleaned out the dust.

Also, if your using it on a couch or the carpet or similar surface the vents will most likely be blocked. Get a cooling pad. You can get a good one for $20 at Microcenter or Best Buy. You could also use a peice of cardboard to give it a hard surface to rest on.

Does your laptop still lag after you quit the game? If so, it's probably the CPU overheating.

BTW - Nice specs Gruaniad

Grauniad

Quote from: CobraKill on May 30, 2013, 09:36:05 AM

BTW - Nice specs Gruaniad

LOL, thanks. That's the "old" family PC that I happened to be on at the time when I needed the screenshots. Going on for 3 years old, never overclocked. Just sits there quietly. :)

I have a few around here with more recent specs. This afternoon I'm expecting two deliveries from Newegg and by next week I should have an upgraded PC in my study to replace the 5 year old laptop. :) Right now Intel Core i5-3750K and i7-3770K CPUs are selling at *really* good discounts because Intel will announce their new Haswell CPUs next week. I can build a top-of-the line gaming PC right now for maybe $800 if I order the parts piecemeal, as I did. I built a custom PC for a photographer for about $900, including a professional grade monitor. Life is good. :)

Kingo

My computer has :

Intel(R) core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20 GHz (Processor)
4.00 GB of RAM
And a 64-bit OS.

Now that I think about it, i'm having issues where the CPU of a program randomly starts to jump to 30-40-50 and over. I don't know what causes it.

MizInIA

Quote from: Kingo on May 30, 2013, 10:48:18 AM
My computer has :

4.00 GB of RAM
And a 64-bit OS.

Now that I think about it, i'm having issues where the CPU of a program randomly starts to jump to 30-40-50 and over. I don't know what causes it.

What is your RAM doing when the CPU starts to jump? My experience would say that you are at or near 100% RAM when you see that happen. I would guess going to 8 GB would mostly solve the problem. And that is a cheap upgrade also.

CobraKill

Eh, eating up 4 gigs if RAM takes a lot. Another thing I thought of is to update your BIOS. My processor can vary is frequncy to conserve energy, and your CPU is newer, so it should too. Anyways, my CPU stopped going to full power one day. Your computer won't tell you it's happening or if the CPU speed is slow. See if it needs an update. It could be the problem.

What do you mean by the CPU jumping from 30-40-50? It's percent of utilization?

MizInIA

Quote from: CobraKill on May 30, 2013, 12:08:49 PM
Eh, eating up 4 gigs if RAM takes a lot. Another thing I thought of is to update your BIOS. My processor can vary is frequncy to conserve energy, and your CPU is newer, so it should too. Anyways, my CPU stopped going to full power one day. Your computer won't tell you it's happening or if the CPU speed is slow. See if it needs an update. It could be the problem.

What do you mean by the CPU jumping from 30-40-50? It's percent of utilization?
I agree 4 GB seems like a lot especially when you look at the specs that were available when CW1 was built but my machine has similar specs to his and I routinely eat through 4 GB of RAM and when I do lag kicks in and the processor usage starts climbing. Granted I am almost always multitasking and killing Chrome and IE resolves the overload and life is back to normal.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7600 @ 3.06GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE
Gaming graphics 2014 MB Total available graphics memory
Win 7 64-bit

CobraKill

Having chrome and IE and CW will open will do it. But then how do I not max out my RAM when I have three Chrome windows open with 4 tabs on each, and CW3 and some notepads?

Grauniad

Quote from: Kingo on May 30, 2013, 10:48:18 AM
My computer has :

4.00 GB of RAM
And a 64-bit OS.

Good (fair) specs. I'm still going with a heat-related issue. Check if areas of your laptop feels uncomfortably warm when you play. Canned air is about $3 a can at Walmart, Target or almost anywhere.

If you really want to, another 4GB of RAM won't hurt overall, but that is not a requirement in most cases.

Kingo

When I mean CPU, I mean in the task manager where it says "processes" and the column labled CPU.
Closing IE when I have it on doesn't solve the issue.

Why would I pay for air, Graun? :)
This laptop, though, is old. Two spills on the keyboard have rendered the A and S keys useless, but fortunately I have a wireless keyboard and mouse set.