CW2 slow on loading

Started by Karsten75, October 10, 2012, 04:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

My gamedata.dat file is now 110KB in size. When I start custom games, the game is slow to respond and I believe it is because this file is now so large. Even if I delete the custom games from the CW2 directory, it does not remove the information on played maps from gamedata.dat. (Test it by deleting a game from the list of custom games and then download it again - your old score and time is preserved, as is the relative position of the game in the list). I can't delete gamedata.dat, since that will lock all the story maps and bonus missions again and I don't really want to play them once more (have done so a few times in the past when the 64KB bug killed my gamedata.dat file).

Any other suggestions on how to improve loading Custom games?

Any chance of a clean-up utility? I'll settle for something that deletes/removes all the custom game info from gamedata.dat.

Thanks

knucracker

Email me (support at kc) your gamedata.dat and I'll inspect it to see how much data is in what section and confirm where the slowness comes from.  Then I can better eval what to do about it.

Karsten75

Wet Mogwai indeed....  Well, whatever it was I done gone broke it now. I renamed the customgames folder in %appdata%\Creeperworld2\ and the game started up like a flash. (My best effort at a pun.)

However, that is where all experimentation must end, because if I delete the newly created customgames folder and attaempt to place the old one back, the game hangs - I've not waited 5 minutes, but it hangs long enough for Task Manager to flag it as unresponsive. Tried 3 times, all with the same result.

So I guess my problem done got fixed - not the way I wanted it to, but then, that is how a Chinese curse works.  All  my custom maps are gone, gamedata.dat is now 111Kb and the game starts up like a champ.Thanks for looking into this.

PS. You would not believe it, but I saved all my favorite games in my customgames folder. The oldest map number in there was 41. :)

PPS.  The 826 records you quoted me. Is there only a record if I played a game to completion?  For all maps downloaded, part-played and abandoned, there will be no record?

knucracker

You could try deleting just the "cache" file in that directory and then start the game.  It could be that the cache just got corrupt or something.  The first startup after the cache is gone should take a bit of time, since the game will have to open, decrypt, decompress, and parse each game file.

I believe a basic record is created even when you partially play the game.

4xC

So do our custom map downloads lists need to be emptied to make it faster?
C,C,C,C