Map series: First Contact

Started by MagmaMcFry, October 12, 2013, 10:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagmaMcFry

First Contact is a map series detailing the very first time humanity meets the Creeper. In fact, it already happens in 2023. You play as an average gardener in an epic and hilarious battle against purple goo and lawns.

Episode 1: Park Co. Park (easy)

Episode 2: Water Guns (easy)

Episode 3: Skeet (medium)

MagmaMcFry

Episode 1: Park Co. Park

In which we get introduced to the noble profession of Executive Nature Editor.

v1.1: Fixed the minor issue of not being able to win.

Grauniad

I''m a little perplexed with the 1st map in the series. I can collect the shield key, but I can't nullify the emitters to complete the map?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

Your second map deals with drugs - that is not acceptable on this forum and I removed it.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

TLMike

G's right. The first map precludes the possibility of victory because there's no Nullifier. Unless you can CRPL up some victory conditions....

MagmaMcFry

About the first map: I actually did CRPL up some victory conditions that worked without destroying the emitter, but then I added the map version indicator in the bottom right and kinda forgot to remove its "Counts for Victory" token. It's fixed now. You can win the game without destroying the emitter.

About the second map: It was just a Breaking Bad reference. Sorry about that. It now no longer involves drugs.

MagmaMcFry

Episode 2: Water Guns

In which we don't initiate the Molepocalypse.

v1.1: Removed a reference.

knucracker

Those look cool... Looks like some custom textures in that second map.

MagmaMcFry

Yep, made those textures myself. I guess they're free to use, if anyone wants them, I can upload them.

MagmaMcFry

Episode 3: Skeet

In which we are responsible for at least one existential crisis.

v1.1: Made everything prettier.
v1.2: Pottery doesn't fireball.
v1.3: Removed duplicate.

ThirdParty

I played your maps.  Very CW1 feel, the way the emitters can't be nullified.

In general, the maps felt pretty well-balanced.  Energy was always in short enough supply that I felt motivated to clear extra land so I could put collectors there, but never quite in such short supply that I couldn't progress.

The only exception was the third map, which was a bit difficult for my tastes.  I liked the exploding gnomes, but the enemy gunner was a pain; his bullets went so fast that they frequently managed to hit structures even if I'd thoroughly covered those structures with snipers.  (Heck, as I got close and he started freaking out, he would occasionally manage to score directs hit on fully-charged but distracted sniper.  That's just frustrating.  I expect my towers to be able to do their jobs.)

MagmaMcFry

I guess you're right about the gunner. I beat the distraction issue by putting all my snipers directly behind the front lines so they could properly take turns catching the bullets, but it is quite the annoyance getting up to the final platform. You can cap the gunner at max freakout using four or five snipers, but it is kinda hard to get those snipers up there in the first place.

Hairball

I love the sense of humor in these.  Keep them coming. :)