Map generator related graphics art contest

Started by warren, March 01, 2015, 07:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren

I have decided to launch a little art contest. If you think you can come up with good terrain art for a fractal map generator like map #1782 http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=18113.0 , then post ten 256x256 .png images in lexicographic order in a .zip archive. If you do not include brightnesses in an included .txt file I will just assume 50 for everything.

Winning: Regardless of the number of entries, there can be 0, one, or more winners. I will create a sequel to map #1782 per winner with their art included as the terrain.

Also, post any bugs or game balance issues here and I will fix them in a sequel (if any)(probably)

NextIdea

Bugs:
Left click starts the rendering from the beginning if pressed when rendering.
Possible to end game with time 00:00:00.

Ideas:
Edit terrain before finalizing. I mean show with images the result when zooming. (Terraforming takes time)
Mark the area where it zooms.
Select multiple zooms and after that start the rendering?
Use bonus score depending on the enemies defeated.

I understand it's more interesting to find cool places with the zoom but if it takes too much time it is boring.

warren

Left click starts the rendering from the beginning if pressed when rendering:
Cannot reproduce. The code in this part of the file is quite short, I am 98% sure that it is in fact impossible. Some images finish rendering suddenly, maybe you zoomed in.
Possible to end game with time 00:00:00:
Yep. I may throw in something to counter an all void map.

As to the images: Quite possible now that I think about it. I am already doing that for 5x5 areas of constant colour. Due to image per core limits, a full image rendering will require more cores.
Mark the area where it zooms: Just had an idea. Holding down the mouse button increases the zoom. A white box shows where the next image will be. If not, I think I can add the standard {shift=8x,ctrl==2x,alt=16x,none=4x}

I will probably not be implementing bonus scores.