Custom Map #1387: FPS: Platform Peril. By: Heritor

Started by AutoPost, April 21, 2021, 11:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joebywan

Quote from: ikkonoishi on April 21, 2021, 08:39:02 PM
Quote from: yewstmlab on April 21, 2021, 08:35:08 PM
Quote from: joebywan on April 21, 2021, 08:19:41 PM
How do I progress past here?

If you are talking about clearing those last 2 rooms, persistence.  It took me an extra 40 minutes to clear those 2 rooms.

It helps to stand on the totem to keep as much of the floor clear as possible.

Can't get to the totem to stand on it.  I tried giving it a hit with the fab gun, but that doesn't work.

Ran through the creep to stand in the corner with the AC, couldn't push it back from there.  Fired at the totem with different weapons for about 20mins, every time the breeder pulses it refills the room completely and all progress is lost.

heritor

The last 2 rooms (technically the first 2 rooms) are the hardest to clear by design - I wanted to make a range of optional objectives ranging from easy to hard. They're at the start as a 'fright' - you can't clear them early on so you have to 'run through the fire' so to speak.
The bottom-left room requires expert use of the mortar (simply focusing fire on one spot doesn't work - you need to range the mortar left and right to wear down the creeper) then switching to cannon to clear the leftovers before the breeder can fire off.

I'll have to pay closer attention to the activity of the Forbs for future FPS levels - they shouldn't have been able to throw their globs close enough to the platforms from the mesh.
All good feedback - I'll take it on board for my next one!
Pro wrestler, graphic designer, video editor, programmer, cat daddy, game designer - I'm more caffeine than man.

joebywan

Quote from: heritor on April 21, 2021, 10:27:57 PM
The last 2 rooms (technically the first 2 rooms) are the hardest to clear by design - I wanted to make a range of optional objectives ranging from easy to hard. They're at the start as a 'fright' - you can't clear them early on so you have to 'run through the fire' so to speak.
The bottom-left room requires expert use of the mortar (simply focusing fire on one spot doesn't work - you need to range the mortar left and right to wear down the creeper) then switching to cannon to clear the leftovers before the breeder can fire off.

I'll have to pay closer attention to the activity of the Forbs for future FPS levels - they shouldn't have been able to throw their globs close enough to the platforms from the mesh.

Tried that too.  I still maintain that the breeder rate is too high.  All progress is eliminated with each pulse.  Maybe you'll get the next one right.

Vyce223

In addition with Forbs just due to the deign of the map, I found like in the end there was roughly 10-15 spitting up everywhere along the track under it just.. stuck that I couldn't stop (and mostly was right at the emitter too.

Squornshellous Beta

I too ended up stalling in a position where the breeder outpaced any damage I could deal and made progress impossible. Gave up and clipped through to the top-left totem at 4x speed, nullified the enemies, and then like halfway through trying to clear out the map from there the same thing happened as in the below quote, breaking it completely.

Quote from: dwilkinson on April 21, 2021, 03:35:26 PM
Well i finished the map, almost. the game "froze" and i could see my bullets staying still in the air, i couldn't move and the creep advanced. Then when i respawned my game would not advance. I completed almost all objectives so i just tried to rift jump. which worked despite time not moving on. I think my laptop is doing weird things again as i have had issues with multiple different games today so unless others get this on their screen too then it is just me.

Karzon

Well i finished the map, almost. the game "froze" and i could see my bullets staying still in the air, i couldn't move and the creep advanced. Then when i respawned my game would not advance. I completed almost all objectives so i just tried to rift jump. which worked despite time not moving on. I think my laptop is doing weird things again as i have had issues with multiple different games today so unless others get this on their screen too then it is just me.

I had this happen with a different FPS level (#1324, return to bunker) by the same author.  It happened just after buying an upgrade when the level was ~90% complete.

Durikkan

Quote from: Karzon on April 22, 2021, 11:07:37 AM

I had this happen with a different FPS level (#1324, return to bunker) by the same author.  It happened just after buying an upgrade when the level was ~90% complete.

That's probably a bug with my upgrade script then, if that's the bug I'm thinking of, it was fixed for the autobuild 6 map.  Heritor should switch to using the most recent Auri's fps tools cpack for the next map. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

Niflthaena

I like the idea of this, but I think the tweaks to the breeder terrain duty cycles made it unnecessarily difficult - the extra-long cycle on the Creeper Breeder gives it significantly more momentum to overwhelm areas that were already cleared, not to mention reducing the time the player has to act between cycles.

Regarding balance - the level takes a few minutes to actually get started, the impellers and forbs take a bit too long to "seed" the map. A quick player can lock down about 60% of the map within 1:30, leaving just the two breeder-filled rooms and the hallway.

I really like the bridges and platforms - the idea of a multi-layer level is quite unique to CW4, it's clever. Is the wide-ranging ceiling needed, though? It's a neat take on mazes or single buildings, but in wide spaces it's sort of distracting, and there's some z-fighting going on with it.

MrWizard

This map is super frustrating and not particularly fun. Like others have said the progression is very wonky. There are a lot of cool features in it, but it feels like a poorly designed VR level.

Grabz

If any of you are having trouble with any part of this map:

Finish this map in one sitting, do not save -> load this map unless you already have all the upgrades

I'm being told this bug is fixed in newer maps, but basically if you reload from a save, any upgrade bought from this point on will not apply. If you happen to reload from a save very early on in the level, you may end up in huge trouble due to lack of firepower. The last chamber with the very strong C breeder is nothing short of impossible without upgrades.

This one issue aside, this is a very fun map, gave me strong "90's fps" vibes with the atmosphere :)

dancingninja

I "fell off" the bridge (north corner room) and went into the corner where there was the anti-creeper corner was and bombed the crap out of it. And with the the anti-creeper helping it still took a while. Once you have that room won, the next room is much easier as the creeper stops being fed. YEY!

I'm not sure if the falling off was a glitch or if it was intentional coding; but I decided to take advantage.  ;D

Quote from: joebywan on April 21, 2021, 08:19:41 PM
How do I progress past here?