Started by AutoPost, December 01, 2020, 01:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #21: The Wave

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 512x48

Sorrontis

Here's recorder version of my play through:

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

K4trix

What a map, I got swipped out on the first attemp  ::)

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

JoaoPistori

Imagine how wonderful that would be with crimson Creeper...  ;D

Sorrontis

Quote from: JoaoPistori on December 08, 2020, 03:08:30 PM
Imagine how wonderful that would be with crimson Creeper...  ;D

I have to beat it too you know.

wobblycogs

Epic map, classic creeper world action.

Took me three attempts to get a method that worked.

Spoiler
Looking at your play through I'm really surprised to see so few bombers. I used five runways fully stocked with bombers going flat out. I found I could bounce the wave back up the map if I bombed in just the right place at the right time.
[close]

JoaoPistori

Quote from: wobblycogs on December 13, 2020, 04:27:33 AM
Epic map, classic creeper world action.

Took me three attempts to get a method that worked.

Spoiler
Looking at your play through I'm really surprised to see so few bombers. I used five runways fully stocked with bombers going flat out. I found I could bounce the wave back up the map if I bombed in just the right place at the right time.
[close]

I used a similar strategy, with 4 instead of 5. However, I was still getting crushed until I noticed that the problem with my strategy was actually an inefficient use of orbitals.

Spoiler
I even tried to do heavy terraforming, so I could have lots of mortars (plus the 4 runways with 80 bombers), but later I realized that dampers were a good friend to hold the wave, and singularity+conversion combo were good for dealing a good amount of damage.
If it helps someone, damper and singularity last for 30 seconds. Keep an eye at the mission time to make some combos of 29-seconds singularity + conversion.
[close]

D0m0nik

Wow. I played this days ago, got my ass kicked and (as with JoaoPistoris level) went away and leant how to play the game! Came back after a Rocky style boot camp and it was still very hard.

Spoiler
I went pure bomber (I think they are a little too powerful in CW4 in my opinion), 9 runways in the end and I focused them mostly on the clear area to the far left inbetween the two black out zones, I figured hit the creep close as possible to source.
[close]

I've struggled with CW4, the transition from 2 to 3D has been tough for me (and I am not happy about the leader boards  >:() but this level really showed me what is possible with this game, it really is an evolution and there were many moments when I just stopped and thought 'wow, that's cool'! Screenshot of such a moment attached.

BilboGCL

Hey,
Quote from: D0m0nik on December 17, 2020, 10:20:43 AM
(and I am not happy about the leader boards  >:()
you know that you can filter by groupname and get a sorted list?
(the group we use is the good old "specialevent")

Greetings from The Shire!
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!

D0m0nik

Thanks Bilbo! I ahve been looking for something like this but can't get the hang of Discord, I have limited access and can't see all the social stuff.
What does the specialevent group consist of, is it pretty much everyone on Discord?

GoodMorning

Not "everyone", but a good portion of the competitive players, as well as some who put up more reasonable times.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

D0m0nik

For this map just 7 people have entered the group. It's still a poor method for comapring your time  :-\

BrokenLifeCycle

The first attempt: won it in under 70 minutes.

The way the creep would concentrate on the front was hellish, especially with how difficult the terrain became further down to position units optimally. At that point, I needed an army of TERPs just to push forward.

Things I learned:
Shields are useless. I needed a LOT of mortars and bombers just to hold the line. The orbital best for this was Damper just to buy time and kill creeper waves in their tracks. Suicide cannon rushes don't work if it dies before landing. A wall of sprayers on AC-collection mode makes a better wall than terrain walls.

Sorrontis

Quote from: BrokenLifeCycle on December 23, 2020, 08:04:38 AM
Things I learned:
Shields are useless. I needed a LOT of mortars and bombers just to hold the line. The orbital best for this was Damper just to buy time and kill creeper waves in their tracks. Suicide cannon rushes don't work if it dies before landing. A wall of sprayers on AC-collection mode makes a better wall than terrain walls.

Good lessons to be sure!