Started by AutoPost, November 06, 2021, 02:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #9742: Air Inferiority

Author: Sinsubstantial
Size: 150x100

Desc:

Helper

I thought taking that PZ at the bottom left would let me connect to the nearest island, but no joy.
Is there any way to win this except massive Guppy/Paratroopers (and one PZ Bertha)?
Thanks,
H

marvinitfox

Quote from: Helper on November 07, 2021, 06:13:09 AM
I thought taking that PZ at the bottom left would let me connect to the nearest island, but no joy.
Is there any way to win this except massive Guppy/Paratroopers (and one PZ Bertha)?
Thanks,
H

Shrug.

I just took the SE spore, used a beam there to keep the enemy entertained.
Took S trivially. Built 8 guppies, used them to bridge to middle south island.
Didn't bother with PZ Betha, it would take too long to build.

Looking at the times, I don't think the rest of you have taken this map seriously yet. I'm good, but I'm *not* half-the-time-of-everyone-else-good.

D0m0nik

Im 2 mins behind you first go. I can't see this map being done without the PZ bertha!

Helper

Quote from: D0m0nik on November 08, 2021, 06:58:44 AM
Im 2 mins behind you first go. I can't see this map being done without the PZ bertha!

I'd sure like to know what the Sam Hill you guys are doing with this thing. I restarted taking the SE island and am "surviving", trying to build up an attack on the bottom middle island. Slow going and I have to get ready to go to work...oh wait a minute...I'm retired and can sit here all day.

Any advice gladly accepted.

This map will keep you hopping.
H

D0m0nik

I take the island with the nest first supported by an AC guppy and about 6 normal ones. PZ Bertha to clear the way. From there you can relay to the other islands and it is a short enough distance to make guppies quick.

To get going 2 guppies fly inbetween the totems to get an early advantage, landing in the creep. Pain to keep an eye on though.

Sinsubstantial

Quote from: Helper on November 08, 2021, 07:07:44 AM

I'd sure like to know what the Sam Hill you guys are doing with this thing. I restarted taking the SE island and am "surviving", trying to build up an attack on the bottom middle island. Slow going and I have to get ready to go to work...oh wait a minute...I'm retired and can sit here all day.

Any advice gladly accepted.

This map will keep you hopping.
H

i made it so obvs i had a bit of a headstart knowing how the map would progress but my solution was to secure the first island and power up then i had 2 groups of 5 guppies, 2 bombers and a swarm of 10 strafers, took the top island and set it up with one set of guppies in relay so there was always one on the ground for power... then i stalled so i did the same with the bottom most island which was easier to spread right from, spread a network from there to the back two islands and then took the middle from 3 sides, did have a pz bertha by halfway through but tbh i didnt really need it, just sped up the strafers clearing the creeper

Sinsubstantial

Quote from: Helper on November 07, 2021, 06:13:09 AM
Thanks,
H

would be interested if anyone figures a way myself, i deliberately made it out of range of any solid connection

Sinsubstantial

it is doable without a bertha, faaaar faster/easier with one though

Helper

I'm getting confused (common occurrence) about which islands y'all are describing.
My first go was to start at the top left, working my way down and getting lots of power/equipment.
After 12 minutes I owned the left side, but attacking anything is going to be drudgery.
Then I tried taking out the bottom right island and trying to build power/equipment to attack.
At 13 minutes, I don't have much power or equipment.

Did you both/all start at the bottom right?
Thanks,
H(oratio at the bridge).

D0m0nik

No started on the left, the bttle is entirely guppy supported, I just connected the islands to each other but never to the base.

Helper

OK, thanks. I'll finish up a couple of thing on that left side and start another charge.
Got a new thought on DMD to work through first.
H

marvinitfox

So I see, I'll improve my time a bit, to give you something to aim at.

You are Quite right, going for the PZ Bertha does help a bit.

My sequence:
Start top left.
Guppy-kill bottom right spore before it can hatch. Guppy the totems to kickstart tech.
Build power, take bottom, PZ Bertha.
While this is building, take and fortify bottom-right, start assault on bottom. Make sure enough guppies to really supply the islands.
Take everything else, at the same time.
profit

Johnny Haywire

Wow, lots of discussion about this map and I think it's justly deserved. It's a really well-designed battle, especially for just being a vanilla map - great job, Sinsubstantial!

As martin eluded to earlier, I don't like to take maps seriously if at all possible. So I took out the spore tower in the lower right (SE) corner and then started in the upper-left. Taking out a spore tower on a map like this provides a few key advantages:
1) You won't have to deal with the spores from this tower. Yeah, that's a shocker right?  :P
2) You now have a clear PZ you can use to clear the island quickly.
3) It helps you save money on your car insurance.

The spores won't fire for a while so you have plenty of time to build a power grid in the upper-left (NW) corner. One mortar is enough to hold the creep at bay and you can then build a few beams. I built a Bertha just to make things easier and then went from there.

You will need a few guppies (I think I used 4) and maybe some bombers if you're into that sorta thing. If you don't want to use guppies, you can always just use the map editor to edit the map and just add a PZ a bit closer... or add some land, for that matter. There really are a lot of options.

Thanks for the map!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Sinsubstantial

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on December 01, 2021, 01:20:03 PM
Wow, lots of discussion about this map and I think it's justly deserved. It's a really well-designed battle, especially for just being a vanilla map - great job, Sinsubstantial!

As martin eluded to earlier, I don't like to take maps seriously if at all possible. So I took out the spore tower in the lower right (SE) corner and then started in the upper-left. Taking out a spore tower on a map like this provides a few key advantages:
1) You won't have to deal with the spores from this tower. Yeah, that's a shocker right?  :P
2) You now have a clear PZ you can use to clear the island quickly.
3) It helps you save money on your car insurance.

The spores won't fire for a while so you have plenty of time to build a power grid in the upper-left (NW) corner. One mortar is enough to hold the creep at bay and you can then build a few beams. I built a Bertha just to make things easier and then went from there.

You will need a few guppies (I think I used 4) and maybe some bombers if you're into that sorta thing. If you don't want to use guppies, you can always just use the map editor to edit the map and just add a PZ a bit closer... or add some land, for that matter. There really are a lot of options.

Thanks for the map!  ;D ;D

Glad you enjoyed :)