Custom Map #658: The Living City. By: Exodus Legate

Started by AutoPost, February 22, 2017, 07:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #658: The Living City

Author: Exodus Legate
Size: 500x500

Desc:
The City is all. The City is Eternal. Author's notes: Be careful around the defence turrets- their strengths vary. This might be a bit laggy, I'm afraid- it's about at the limit of what my computer can run without being really slow. Flaw in the concept, unfortunately, but it's taken so long to do the map that I wanted to put it out there even if the audience is a bit smaller beacasue of the lag.

Exodus Legate

I hope that this offers a good balance of ship and omni work. Mind those shots going everywhere!
This map is sort of an experiment in an almost fully re settable map, plus continuous pressure- perhaps you want to throw all your forces on one front? Fine, but the city is going to rebuild itself in the areas you've vacated. That's probably the way to go to get a good time, though.

ChaosMaster130

Well that was a map. Good job on all that work though. was pretty cool.
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

Exodus Legate

Quote from: ChaosMaster130 on February 24, 2017, 07:22:42 PM
Well that was a map. Good job on all that work though. was pretty cool.
Thanks. Am I correct in thinking you found it a bit long, though, from the first part of your comment?

Dark Ambition

Legate, do I have your permission to use these enemy vessel designs? I'm having trouble finding a good way to have GalCorp stations, but this is perfect and works well!

Exodus Legate

Quote from: Dark Ambition on February 25, 2017, 06:51:18 AM
Legate, do I have your permission to use these enemy vessel designs? I'm having trouble finding a good way to have GalCorp stations, but this is perfect and works well!

I don't mind anything being used, no- I take it as a compliment. :) I'll have to keep a mildly vain eye on your maps for them. :)

Dark Ambition

Quote from: Exodus Legate on February 25, 2017, 08:13:22 AM
I don't mind anything being used, no- I take it as a compliment. :) I'll have to keep a mildly vain eye on your maps for them. :)

Thanks ;D

I'll have to make a test map to get a hang of how I want it to be like first, and I think I got the perfect idea.

GoodMorning

You're right that it is a balance. If I had more Omnis to work with (for a second wave) I might have opened a second front. As it was, I took the two MK7 ships, the triple lathe, and the "fighter"s as rams. Then the map was a straightforward push. Those six-shield "U"s can be rammed from behind for a quick kill.

I think that to reduce lag, you could have made the map shorter, and omitted the middle. An interdicted zone with invincible guardians is interesting for dialogue, but is a lag generator and of little strategic importance (another wall to go around).

I left a trail of ships and Omnis around the map as I went, preventing general rebuilds. One Omni with cannons can lock down a significant area.

Overall, good map, but the frame rate was a little too low to appreciate it fully. I like the concept.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Exodus Legate

Quote from: GoodMorning on May 10, 2017, 09:39:59 AM
You're right that it is a balance. If I had more Omnis to work with (for a second wave) I might have opened a second front. As it was, I took the two MK7 ships, the triple lathe, and the "fighter"s as rams. Then the map was a straightforward push. Those six-shield "U"s can be rammed from behind for a quick kill.

I think that to reduce lag, you could have made the map shorter, and omitted the middle. An interdicted zone with invincible guardians is interesting for dialogue, but is a lag generator and of little strategic importance (another wall to go around).

I left a trail of ships and Omnis around the map as I went, preventing general rebuilds. One Omni with cannons can lock down a significant area.

Overall, good map, but the frame rate was a little too low to appreciate it fully. I like the concept.

Yes, in retrospect the map dimensions should probably have been around 390x390-420x420 ish, and the middle perhaps slimmed down to the single central station- similar flavour, less lag, and less tendancy for the allied computer-contolled ships to wander in and cause the enemy guardian Motherships to send barrages of mk7 shots across a good fraction of the outer map. Using the fighters as rams to kill the 6 shields was my preferred method too, they're a little tough otherwise when you're already busy. Thanks for the feedback, and glad you liked the concept. :) I do want to revisit it at some point, but I need to think it through quite carefully first.

Red Wizard

That map was fantastic!  I decided to give myself a challenge and try to take the map using only omnis and the HQ.  I was able to get it all except for the far upper right with the two emitters.  Really felt like a puzzle with having to come up with different solutions to take over each section.